Def Leppard. Everyone has heard of them. They were huge in the 80's because of their looks, their sound, and their looks. They were mostly popular with the girls, and fans of their earlier work quit tuning in to DL when this album came out. Def Leppard's Hysteria is a mediocre record with a few ok songs, but it's nothing special. Nothing special at all. Not super horrible, but not the classic it's made out to be by...everyone.
1. Women - This is the first track on the album, and it's ok, but nothing special. It's got some heavier guitar work, and some decent lyrics. There's a nice solo around the end of the song, and it's "meh". Chorus is lame, but this tune is an ok start to a lame album.
2. Rocket - Nothing great, but not excellent. Nothing on this album is excellent. Not at all. But hey, this song's ok. Decent lyrics, decent vocals, everything is decent. Drumming's ok too. That's about it.
3. Animal - One of my least favorite songs on the album. Seriously, what were they thinking" A mentally challenged racoon with one eye could come up with something better than this bland, dull heap of garbage. The chorus is pretty lame, as well as everything else about the song.
4. Love Bites - Another stinker on the album. I know a lot of people love this song. A lot of people think that it's a Def Leppard classic. Well, in my humble opinion, it is not a classic OR one of the best songs on the album. It's pretty lame actually. The lyrics are super cheesy, but there's some good guitar on it, and that's about the only thing I like about this track.
5. Pour Some Sugar On Me - After the last two turds on the album, we see a mediocre song. Nothing impressive, and the lyrics are cheesy as, well, cheese, but it's catchy. When you hear the song, it will stay in your head for at least an hour. It's probably the most famous song on the album, too.
6. Armageddon It - One of my favorites of the album. It's just good, plain old rock. Not too glam, not too cheesy. The lyrics are good as well as the guitar and all that, but then the lame chorus kicks in. The chorus is my least favorite part of the song, and then there's that stupid part where they say "Armageddon it" over and over. Overall, an ok song.
7. Gods Of War - This little tune is a song against war or some crap like that, and it starts off real slow, but then works its way up from the slow to the, well, not slow. Average tune with lame lyrics.
8. Don't Shoot Shotgun - Not much to say. Pretty boring tune. Not a ballad, not a rocker, it's just a boring tune with nothing that great about it. Lame.
9. Run Riot - Sounds similar to Don't Shoot Shotgun, but it's better. The lyrics are lame, but DL never wrote lyrics like Iron Maiden or any bands like that. Crap chorus, decent solo, and overall, just a lame tune.
10. Hysteria - Much like Love Bites, which sucked, this does too. It's a hugely overrated song. The solo is ok, and I don't like the vocals, or anything else about this song too much. An overrated heap of turds. Sorry Def Leppard fans, but this my opinion. Oh God, my approval rating is gonna be a negative 15 percent. It's not as bad as a 1.5, and not as good as a 2, so it gets an oddball rating of 1.8.
11. Excitable - The worst song of the album. So annoying and just flat-out crappy. Stupidity at its worst. If you like songs that are lame, download this tune right freakin' now! If you like very good songs, don't buy this album, let alone listen to this song. Bad vocals, bad guitar-playing, bad everything.
12. Love and Affection - Def Leppard decided to make the last song a sweeping ballad and I would say that was a BAD call. The last sentece should sound familiar if you read AeroZeppelin1's review, except for the word I changed. What a bad way to end a bad album. This song made the album even badder! The guitars are the only good part, and everything else is bad. Lyrics are bad, everything is bad.
Well, there you have it. Def Leppard's hugely overrated Hysteria. Not a horribly crappy album, but nothing great. It's no classic, that's for sure.
+ Armageddon It
- Everything else pretty much
Sorry Def Leppard fans, but this gets a 2.5/5.