To open up, I’d like to say that this is definatly one the best albums I have. I was in a CD store, and although I had only heard two songs, I just decided that I would try getting a Dark Tranquillity CD. From the moment I decided to get a DT album, I had my mind set on Character. I was very pleased to hear that not only the two tracks I had heard were great, but that there was not one song on this album that I didn’t like. In general, Dark Tranquillity is one of the best Melodic Death Metal bands selling records right now, and the aspect that many people may love about this band is the fact that they are MELODIC Death Metal, which really stands out on this CD. Anyways, this is my second review, so all comments and ‘you sucks’ are very apreciated. (Please explain why you liked or disliked the review).
1. The New Build – This song kicks right into it with some great drums, which continue for the whole song. The guitars in this song are quite good, and the vocals are great. My favorite part of this song would have to be the chorus, because I find it stands out in this song. All aspects are great, and the Melodic side of the song is great, and the paino also adds emotion to the song. Great opening track. 7.5/10 [Highlight – Chorus]
2. Through Smudged Lenses – Starts off playing an awsome riff, which just gives you the feeling this song is going to be great. The song lives up to its potential with great instrumental aspects, and the vocals are also good in this song. The chorus is great, I especially like the lyrics (Don’t question). Slightly better than the first track, but doesn’t seem like the best opener for me. 8/10 [Highlight – Vocals and guitars]
3. Out of Nothing – Opens quite fast paced, and holds until the chorus where it slows down a bit. Guitars are good, and drums don’t go missed. Piano again adds emotion to the song. I’d say my favorite part of this song is about 1:20 seconds in, because the guitar plays a catchy riff, and the paino also plays some great stuff to listen to. This song is kind of depressing at parts, but that only adds emotion to the song. Not as good as its previous song, but still good. 7.5/10 [Highlight – Paino]
4. The Endless Feed – In the beginning of this song, it starts off great, and sets the tempo for the rest of the song. Great guitars, drums are quite simple, but good. Piano and effects are impressive. Not much to say about this song, other than it is one of the best songs on the album, and it has a exellent chorus and even better verse. 8/10 [Highlight: Melody]
5. Lost to Apathy – Definatly one of the best songs on the album. Guitars are fun to listen to, drums are impressive, and the piano is great also. The verse is very heavy, and the chorus is not even slightly dissapointing. Very catchy song, and one of the heavest songs on the album. At about 2:50, the guitar plays an extremely cathy riff, and just makes the song even better. The chorus and verse blend perfectly, along with the softish part of the song. Probably the reason that this is one of my favorites is becuase it is most likely the heaviest song on the album, and thats the way I enjoy things. Also, the vocals seem to stand out becuase there is lots of low growls/screams in this song compared to others. It is also very fast paced, which makes it exiting and fun to listen to. 10/10 [Highlight: Everything]
6. Mind Matters – Yet another great song from DT. Guitars are exellent. Drums are quite simple. Vocals are (again) very good. Good verse, along with a good chorus. One of the shorter songs on the album, and the length is definatly noticable. Not nessicarlily a bad thing though. 7.5/10 [Highlight: Hard to say]
7. One Thought – One of the better songs on the album, mainly because of the chorus. The verse is still awsome, but the chorus is just amazing. Love the guitars, and fast paced drums. Piano also some of the best on the album. Sort of an interlude half way through the song, which is great to hear. Vocals are fantastic. 9/10 [Highlight: Chorus and guitars.]
8. Dry Run – Great follow up to One Thought, as this song is just as good. Very versitile; slow to fast and vice versa. Vocals are outstanding, and the verse blends well into the chorus. The chorus has lots of emotion, some of the most on the album. Spectacular song overall. [Highlight: Hard to say.]
9. Am I 1" – Piano starts this song off great, and the gutiar soon starts playing some interesting stuff for the remainder of the song. As for the drums, pretty impressive. The chorus is great, along with the verse. Vocals are the same as most of that on the CD. Not one of the best songs, but still good. 7.5/10 [Highlight: Chorus]
10. Senses Tied - The opening of this song is quite interesting, with some effects that lead into a great verse. The chorus is great, probably the best part of this track, as the guitar plays the best part it does it in the whole song. Same old good vocals. Not as much emoition as in previous songs. 7.5/10 [Highlight: Guitars]
11. My Negation – Probably the song with the most emoition. Definatly the most depressing song on the album, but one of the better songs without a doubt. Vocals are some of the best on the album. Interestingly good guitars. Drum beats are good (simple for most of the song, I might add). Another great song from the album, kind of leaves you depressed once the CD is over. Don’t listen to this song if you are upset even slightly by the way, your not doing yourself any favors. 9/10 [Highlight: Emotion]
-(very little) repetetivness.
-Not any other outstanding downsides.
One of the best albums by Dark Tranquillity by far, and please leave comments like nuts, as this is only my second review. Thanks for all support and critisizm.
-The Sun Sleeps