|UserReviews 11Approval 86%Soundoffs 63News Articles 16Band Edits 10Album Edits 11Album Ratings 518Objectivity 78%Last Active 06-09-13 2:45 amJoined 02-21-10Forum Posts 1Review Comments 4,206
|lol artwork on 10|
all recs appreciated tho guys
|Rec lists are terrible because, when it's all said and done, you'll end up with something like 50 different albums to listen to and absolutely no hint or clue as to where to start or why they're worth checking out. Sooooo...I'mma give you five albums, and reasons why I recommended them to you, and you can figure out which one(s) (if any) you want to try out.|
THE NOTORIOUS B.I.G. - 'Ready To Die'
- The quintessential hip-hop recommendation. You HAVE to listen to this, because. Just because. Actually...you don't have to, it's just that at some point, sooner or later, you're going to end up listening to it anyways, if for no other reason than to stop people from telling you that you need to listen to it. For what it's worth, it's really fucking good--smooth East Coast production (the kind you can nod your head to), and Biggie's life is completely on display, no punches pulled. Since you gave 'Illmatic' a 4.5, there should be no problem for you to get into this.
JOEY BADA$$ - '1999'
- For some reason, this is the first recommendation that came to mind when you said you listened to Cunninlynguists. Something from the underground that I think you'll appreciate.
THE ROOTS - 'Illadelph Halflife'
- Some of the best in jazzy hip-hop. I dunno if jazzy hip-hop is something you're interested in (because it doesn't really fit in with the albums you have on the list), but you should probably give this a listen anyways. The Roots, in case you've never watched Jimmy Fallon, are a full band--they make the music themselves, and then Black Thought raps over it. 'Illladelph...' is a bit older in their discography, but it's really good stuff.
JAY-Z - 'The Blueprint'
- Over-the-top braggadocio rap produced by Kanye (which you obviously have a love for). 'Reasonable Doubt' is probably better, but 'The Blueprint' is much..."funner," and it had bigger singles, so there are probably songs you recognize and can play at parties and such. The rest of the album is awesome as it is, too.
RAEKWON - 'Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx...pt. II'
- 'Cause I think it's somewhere close to being my favorite hip-hop album. And you have Ghostface Killah on the list, and he's on every other song of this album. I think both he and Rae are at their best when they play off of each other (then again, I really enjoy that deep voice/high voice dynamic; you find the same thing in M.O.P.).
So there you are. I hope you enjoy some of these! And...you know what, fuck it--
BLACK STAR - 'Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star'
- Because it's fucking awesome.
|I'm pretty new to hip hop but you got Cunninlynguists and Yeezy so you're off to a good start but here's some stuff:|
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu Tang of course
I know there are others far better versed than I but this should be a good start
|@Maso ^^^ gonna check out all of those! i know of jay-z's hits that i like but i can't say i've ever sat down and listened to
one of his albums in full. i do appreciate that comment a lot and the information you gave for each recommendation,
|@ILJ thanks dawg! i've heard a lot of good things about james blake and was thinking of looking him up anyways so now i definitely will. along with everything else |
|A fun thing to do with James Blake is play the song "Limit To Your Love" in a vehicle with a custom sound system for someone who has never heard it before. Watch their reaction when that bass kicks in. Grin like Spongebob.|
|NAS - Illimatic
|James Blake just plain fucking rules. |
|and back to your comment masochist, i really love raekwon's verse on Gorgeous but really know nothing of his albums. really need to get on that. also, james blake|
|UGK - Ridin Dirty|
because southern rap is GOAT
|Fuck heres my recs for you|
|Danny Brown is so good|
I GOT DAT INCOME TAX SWAG
|Based on your list, I'll give you albums that are very similar to what you have|
For an equivalent of Cunninlynguist
1. The Roots - Undun
There are other 'Roots' albums that are outstanding, but this is the most assessable.
2. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Classic hip-hop albums, you should love it. Has that same feel as a Cunninlynguist album
Equivalent of Kanye
1.Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
In case you missed it, this is probably the best mainstream hip-hop album since Yeezy's MBDTW, so check it out
2. Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
Just dropped this mixtape last month, and its excellent. Has that feel of pre-808's Kanye.
Equivalent to Eminem
1. Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel
Its an Eminem and Royce da 5'9 collaboration album, came out in 2011. Its the best thing Em's done since The Eminem Show, and he is back on his game. Fucking rides on every song.
2. Danny Brown - XXX
It might take you a little while to become accustomed to his voice, but once you do you will be hooked. Lyrically, he just just as crazy as Eminem.
|damn, ILJ, I'm impressed. 2nd dat entire list.|
|Stank pussy smelling like Cool Ranch Doritoooossssss|
|Thundercat- The Golden Age of the Apocalypse.|
|chance the rapper reminds me of 2008 lil wayne more than kanye|
still a good rec though
|I can see the lil wayne comparison based on the voice and annoying catch phrases. I see the production as more of a Late Registration though|
|ya production is more yeezy than weezy but his flow is totally C3/mixtape wayne|