My Chemical Romance
Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
June 4th, 2006 | 540 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

So sometimes, a band unexpectedly comes out of the ďunderground" and unexpectedly explodes. My Chemical Romance seemed to release their second effort, Three Cheers For Sweet at the perfect opportunity: The teenage population of the U.S. was perfectly ready to accept a makeup wearing, faux-emo pop band, and boy did they ever release something to the complete embodiment of that in their first single, Iím Not Okay (I Promise). The band exploded in popularity in late 2004/early 2005, and Gerard Way (vocalist and front man) somehow grew into something of a sex symbol amongst teenage girls. I pretty much decided they just couldnít be very good, as that single was just impossibly grating and annoying. So, it was with a grain of salt that I downloaded Three Cheers earlier this year to try to see what all the hubbub was about. What I found was a slightly impressive, but overall boring and overdone album of a limited degree of catchiness.

Surprisingly, MCR not only picks out the catchiest singles, but also veritably the best songs on the album to release. There is of course Iím Not Okay (I Promise), an entirely too annoying trip through unrequited love. Like much of the album here, no member is truly unique; the riffs are bland, the lead guitar lines are uninspired, the bass is essentially useless, and the drums just kind of keep time. However, Gerard does have a unique voice, and in conjunction with a group effort, keep the song slightly fresh. Helena opens up the album, and with good reason, as it is easily the best song on the C.D. Unlike much of the album, itís fast paced and actually feels edgy, with Ray Toroís backing wails giving the song a sense of actual anguish missing from the rest of the album. The final single of any real note is The Ghost of You, which is probably the best song after Helena. Ditching the pop-core roots, they opt to go for an epic feel, and its in fact ruined only by the fact Way is far too whiney to pull it off. It builds to be the best song on the album, but when your lead singer wails ďAt the top of my lungs/in my arms she dies" and sounds like heís talking about his Echidna, thereís going to be a shortage of awe-inspiration.

What brings the rest of the album down is the general monotony the band gives off. The riffs are generally uninspired, and either sound like something Three Days Grace would be using for their next minor hit or a cutting room floor Thursday castaway. When they attempt to do anything particularly intelligent or interesting, its dampened by the fact they seem to want to keep the album safe, and tone down any soloís or impressive chord progressions the guitarists attempt to develop. Itís not they donít have talent, as they do show theyíre fairly skilled, they just donít seem to want to play, and when they do let loose, itís often them trying to craft something thatís just beyond their reach.

However much the guitarists may be mediocre, the rhythm section is in general even poorer. As a general rule, the bass on this album is either inaudible or follows the guitars note for note, never trying to establish its own identity, or even make itself known. Itís an unfortunate occurrence, as the drummer actually shows plenty of skill during the course of the album. A definite highlight is the closer, I Never Told You What I Do For A Living, where he is the only thing keeping the rather disjointed track together. While he is rarely given any chance to really show off, Bryer does have the potential to at least be a solid drummer, and while he may not be the most talented member of the group, he at least knows his limits.

The key to MCRís success is and always will be Gerard Way. Joining in on the risings ranks of high pitched singers to be making their way these days, he combines the impossibly high tone of Claudio Sanchez with the whiney nature of Adam Lazzara, and is something of a darker Patrick Stump. While his voice live may be a different story, he sounds extremely strong on the album, and is in fact the shining point, despite many detractors who point to the complete opposite. Instead of trying to be the focus of the song, he instead tries to build upon whatever sound theyíre trying to create. For example, on the rather echo-y This Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You, he applies the same effect on his voice, and melds into the song. The melding creates a rather unique touch, and if MCR were to pull it off so well on a consistent basis, this would be quite the band indeed.

The thing is, you have to take the album for what it is. Itís slightly dark, slightly violent, slightly weird pop punk, that tries to be unique, but is generic all the same. Itís incredibly repetitive despite the variety, incredibly boring despite the eclectic ness, and altogether an album that almost could have been a triumph. Itís strange to look at this compared to their previous effort; in keeping with the language Iím using, itís at once far superior, yet less fulfilling than I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought My Your Love. When My Chemical Romance shows promise, itís a rather entertaining and grand experience, but when they devolve into clichťs of the genre and even of themselves, you canít help but get that taste out.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

June 4th 2006

And let the floodgates open for reviews Iluvatar has had 4/5's done for a week.

Zebra
June 4th 2006

I agree with this most of this review except I would have rated the album slightly lower. Great job, you nailed this one.

The Jungler
June 4th 2006

Yeah, good job making the only semi-negative review to a fairly hated CD. I don't think this is an amazing album, but I do think it is one of the better faux-emo pop-punk albums out there. This Message Edited On 06.04.06

pattern_recognition
June 4th 2006

I agree with everything in theis review.
If I start an Iluvatar cult down here in Australia, you're not going to smite me or anything are you?

Brain Dead
June 4th 2006

I'm looking forward to the other reviews. I've only heard the three singles, and I don't think you could pay me to buy this album.This Message Edited On 06.04.06

June 4th 2006

Wow, thanks for the kudos. I was expecting a far less warm reception of this review.
And I'm very much on the edge of a 2/2.5 rating for this album. The review could support either, so I'll make my final decision on the rating by the end of the night.

Steerpike
June 4th 2006

It's about time a reviewer said this. I personally can't stand the band, but I do admit that they could amount to more if they hauled themselves up and put some better effort forward rathr than playing it safe.

Patrick
June 4th 2006

agh i hate how all of these popular bands's songs are about death and sadness and cemetaries and ghosts and man does this band have a terrible name. I just wish we could have something original.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 4th 2006

Indeed, another fine review. Worthy of a good whoring.

fisky009
June 4th 2006

I really dont like MCR to any degree. Some of the pop punk girls at my school rave about them saying how how much they love "their" Gerard. IMO there are better vocalists?song writers out there than him.

Good review, wont be buying this for certain.

Thor
June 4th 2006

Even though we already have tons of reviews for this album, this one was still very good. Keep it up.

Digging: Black Crown Initiate - The Wreckage of Stars

June 4th 2006

All the other's had a rather strong lean towards this album being amazing, I figured I'd give support to my "This album is pretty average" brothers out there.
Although yeah, I do feel kind of weird submitting an 8th review for this.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 4th 2006

Yeah well, it'll probably be the flagged review. So that's fun.

labonza01
June 4th 2006

i used to like this album, but for some unexplained reason, i have grown to hate it with a fiery passion. I'd have to say, the only song that the guitarists actually managed to impress me on was "thank you for the venom". I really hate MCR, and i dont even know why.

good review, by the way, i agree more or lessThis Message Edited On 06.04.06

kno_kontrol
June 4th 2006

Quite possibly a contender for your best review. You remain extremely unbiased and pick apart every weakness and strength of the album. This is quite possibly my favorite review from you.

Cravinov13
June 4th 2006

I like the older stuff more, before they decided to be sellouts to the media.

nag*with*a*gun
June 4th 2006

i think they really can't help it that the media adores them, its not like they're gonna refuse the money.

June 4th 2006

The argument is that they fashioned this album to specifically appeal to the media, thus gaining them more fame. I'd rather not take any side in that silly debate.

nag*with*a*gun
June 4th 2006

i havent heard the first CD, so i wouldn't know if they changed thier music or not. i don't really care anyway, I still like their stuff.

June 4th 2006

I personally find this to be of higher quality overall, but most people seem to find it to be the opposite.