1 of 3 thought this review was well written
For all you guitar players out there you may recognize the title of this resembles the legendary distortion pedal. Which it does and you can just hear that distortion in this album. Mudhoney are one of those great bands from the 90's that got forgotten in the dust by nirvana. sure nirvana was alright but mudhoney deserved just as much if not more credit than nirvana.
this is one of the greater albums to come out of the grunge era. most people have probaly heard Touch Me I'm Sick
at some point in their life. it is to be considered one of the defining "grunge" songs. Now onto the songs.
1) Touch Me I'm Sick- ah heres the big single off the album. this is the definitive mudhoney song if there ever was one. it is also definitely one of the defining songs of the grunge era. on this one mudhoney turns the volume and distortion way up. the drumming is just insane the guy goes nuts on his drums on this song.
great song 5/5
2) Sweet Young Thing- the band seems to try to expand theirr sound on this one. it seems to me that this a kind of bluesy with a lot of distortion. the drumming is excellent on this one that what really stands out on this track. the guitar is mediocre compared to the other tracks on the album.
3) Hate The Police- i find this song ok. it has a really heavy riff at the beginning. but i think from there it just doesnt sound that great.
4) Burn It Clean- the riff in this one is great. actually everything seems to be sounding pretty good on this one. although the singing couldve been better but still a great track
5) You Got It- we get another great riff on this one. the vocals are also pretty good on this one. drumming is mediocre though. a nice guitar solo makes up for that though. this song is pretty good
6) Halloween- this is a sonic youth cover so you'll be familiar with it if you're into them. this one is a little slower paced than the rest. the swirling guitar and marks voice are the highlights on this track.
7) No One Has- i dont really like this song. nothing really sticks out to me.
8) If I Think- here is the slow song on the album. its an alright song and everything. it has some heavy and fast parts too. but if you ask me it seems a little out of place on a mudhoney album.
9) In N' Out Of Grace- a really funny intro with some old man talking about getting "loaded" :lol: . The rest of the song is really good too. What a great guitar riff. and the rest of the band is really excellent on here too. one of my favorites. the drumming is also fantastic.
10) Need- this song reminds of smells like teen spirit
for some reason or another. i really like the singing on this one it seems to be some of his best on the album. the drums are pretty good. i dont find the guitar that great compared to some of the other stuff though.
11) Chain That Door- now we got a really fast paced one :). the drumming gets this one goin from the start. i find the vocals to be nothing really special ive heard much better from mark. its a little too short though coulve be better if it was longer but still great.
12) Mudride- a change of pace a little slower to end the cd. i like this song alot. kind of reminds me of alice in chains in a way. got some great vocals from mark. everything else is just mediocre. but good stuff never the less.
overall i think this is just a great grunge or even rock cd in general. its got everything u should want in a grunge album. heavy distorted guitars, great drum work, and crushing vocals. so if ur a fan of grunge or just rock in general i highly recommend you pick this album up. :thumb:
overall rating 4/5