Jimmy Eat World
Static Prevails

by do you dig any bands pre deftones? USER (2 Reviews)
May 14th, 2014 | 30 replies | 1,305 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Don't leave without intentions of ever coming back."

1996 was an odd year for Jimmy Eat World. They were coming off of their 1994 debut - which was a scatterbrained punk album that lacked any flow or sensibility - and were picked up by Capitol Records with no idea as to which direction they were headed in. In fact, they hadn’t even chosen a full time lead singer; vocal duties were split between their two guitarists, Jim Adkins and Tom Linton. Before releasing huge radio hits such as “The Middle”, Jimmy Eat World was a band that played a unique blend of emo and alternative rock that would eventually influence many bands from the 90s to bands from the current day emo scene.

The lead vocals on Static Prevails are almost equally split between the two guitarists. Their two styles contrast very well, and they play off each others strengths. Linton’s voice is deep and gritty, while Adkin’s is higher pitched - more typical of the emo scene at the time. They support each other in an incredible way, which Adkins shows on the opener “Thinking, That’s All,” where he screams at the top of his lungs while Linton sings the chorus. Lyrically, Static Prevails offers some of the finest that emo has to offer. With the lyrical duty split as well, Linton and Adkins find a common theme that brings the two together: love. Adkins and Linton have an uncanny ability to write phenomenal yet simple lyrics that listeners will find very easy to connect with. “Episode IV” is a heartachingly beautiful track in particular, featuring Linton on vocal duties - but for the first time on the album, he tones them down to create a heartwarming track. Adkins and Linton can even combine to form very post-hardcore influenced and aggressive tracks, ideas which Jimmy Eat World never explored again. Static Prevails has something to offer for everyone.

The guitar work on Static Prevails fits Jimmy Eat World’s sound perfectly on every track. At points it can be heavily distorted and fast-paced, while at others, just a simple yet beautiful chord progression. The band features two guitar players which helps them create memorable and breathtaking melodies. They also like to use loud-soft dynamics in their sound, soft guitar playing then suddenly exploding back into a more full sound. Bassist Rich Burch’s playing isn’t over the top however he plays off the rest of the band well. Zach Lind's drumming is nothing short of amazing, he can play a multitude of styles perfectly which include the more fast paced drumming more akin to post-hardcore and very soft subtle drumming for the softer tracks. Jimmy Eat World have a way with closing albums and Static Prevails is no different. “Anderson Mesa” starts off as a light ballad featuring Adkins soft emotional vocals, before he releases everything in an outburst of unbridled emotion before the song and album slowly fade away.

Static Prevails was a hugely important album in the 90’s emo scene, one which went on to influence many bands. Jimmy Eat World’s follow-up album, Clarity, generally gets all the attention and praise, while its predecessor is criminally overlooked. Static Prevails is the album that laid the groundwork for their legendary next album, and ultimately inspired countless classic emo albums to follow.

MrUnderstanding18 (4)
Jimmy Eat World show their teeth....

(4.5)

May 14th 2014

The drumming done by Zach Lind is nothing short of amazing

I'd clean this up by saying "Zach Lind's drumming is nothing short of amazing." instead

Great first review man, you definitely worked hard on this!

May 14th 2014

Thanks man I really appreciate the kind words.

Digging: Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation

Rowan5215

A 2.5 mongi smh
But yeah good review pos'd

May 14th 2014

I should probably get rid of that rating but just because of the attitude, IT STAYS.

May 14th 2014

Special thanks to climactic for feedback and proofreading. I worked hard on this to make it perfect. Would like some feedback and criticism as this is my first review. Worked really hard on this and I am proud.

oltnabrick
May 14th 2014

You have good ideas but you're really all over the place with this.

Digging: Miyuki - Fellow Citizen

avonbarksdale221
May 14th 2014

Holy shit futures review insta pos.

Artuma

nice rev

2nd best jew i've heard

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

bakkermaarten007
May 14th 2014

Very enjoyable review. Have a pos.

bakkermaarten007
May 14th 2014

Anyone who doesn't feel anything to Anderson Mesa, is emotionally numb.

SnakeDelilah

A 2.5 smh [2]

Digging: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Green Baron

A 2.5 smd [3]

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

JustinKing
May 14th 2014

Definitely a great job for a first, I told you you'd do well!

I wouldn't change anything about this review, because as it stands as your first, it's definitely a solid basis to your writing style. The only thing I'd like to see you try is go a little bit more in depth with what makes it so good. Your paragraph about the instrumentals seems like you didn't know exactly how to put it into words. Don't go the way of those infamous X Japan reviews or anything, but definitely try to reinforce your points even more. Always think of questions the audience might ask.

For example, you say Rich's bass playing plays off the rest of the band well. Someone may ask, "Does he primarily follow the guitar lines, or does he play his own riffs to complement the sound?" This is always a nitpick criticism, but it is important. You describe the sound of the album great, especially for a first review. The only thing to remember is to try to answer as many questions you think the audience might have. Read and reread your reviews and think of questions you could ask and have answered just by reading your review. Regardless, pos from me, man! Can't wait to read more reviews from you!

May 14th 2014

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! But yeah Mongi raise your rating dude.

19453 Comments

nice review, haven't even heard this one

Digging: The Who - Tommy

May 14th 2014

I think you should remedy that.

CK
May 14th 2014

I haven't heard it either yet... yikes

May 14th 2014

Yeah part of the reason I wanted to review this. A lot of people ignore this Jimmy album haha

May 14th 2014

I gotta try this again sometime. And guys are you happy? That pesky rating is gone.

May 14th 2014

Yes I am. Please do man. It's a lot like Clarity except raw and more Tom singing jams. Episode IV or Anderson Mesa seriously man check it like now.