Alter Bridge
Fortress

by AaronBatt USER (50 Reviews)
October 17th, 2013 | 25 replies | 2,663 views

Release Date: 10/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: this Fortress will stand strong for years to come...

I am an absolute Alter Bridge super-fan, so I had to manage expectations for this album. The first single "Addicted To Pain" absolutely ripped, so I had high hopes coming in. But as for the rest of Fortress? Well, let's just say that Alter Bridge has raised their own bar.

I will be the first to admit that AB's last album ABIII had some great individual tunes in it, but the overall piece seems a bit bloated and had a tendency to meander somewhat aimlessly at times. However, on Fortress, Alter Bridge not only seems more focused, but they have also completed their evolution into a metal band, albeit a extremely melodic one. The barn-burning opener "Cry Of Achilles" gives vocalist/guitarist Myles Kennedy a chance to show off his guitar skills as the track begins with a Spanish flamenco clean-guitar intro before Mark Tremonti and the rhythm section of bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips join in and instantly flip Kennedy's intro on it's head as "Cry of Achilles" thunders ahead on an off-kilter groove and powerful riffing. I also like how Myles and Mark mostly sing this track harmony style, and the chorus is just begging to be screamed out by arena-sized crowds.

It is obvious that Alter Bridge was, to quote Pat Boone, "in a metal mood", as the foundation of this Fortress is laid down by some of the heaviest songs Alter Bridge has ever written, as "Bleed It Dry" and "Peace Is Broken" both exude thrash swagger, while "Farther From The Sun" simply crushes, albeit slowly. Alter Bridge are still master "ballad" song-writers though, and "Lover" shows that off perfectly. I really like "Lover" in particular because it as a whole seems darker than previous AB soft songs, and it has a cool bluesy tinge running through it. Mark Tremonti takes over the mic for "Waters Rising" and it works beautifully. "Waters Rising" does change halfway through and turns into a powerful dose of heaviness.

To be truthful, the only song I don't like on Fortress is the penultimate ballad "All Ends Well". To me, the beginning of "All Ends Well" sounds almost exactly the beginning of "Waters Rising", except for a key change. "All Ends Well" just really doesn't connect with me. The album closing title track is the best song on an album filled with them (think the title track of Blackbird, but a bit heavier). The guitar solos halfway though are absolute ear candy, and the chorus hits me very deeply.

I really like most of the lyrics on Fortress. Several songs, like "Bleed It Dry" and "Waters Rising" hint at apocalyptic scenarios, while "Addicted To Pain" addresses abusive relationships. There are plenty of meaningful lyrics for listeners to connect with, and it's a nice change from the standard hard rock/metal fare of partying and girls, etc. Kennedy and Tremonti are simply one of the finest guitar duos in rock/metal today, and Marshall/Phillips form a colossal rhythm section that often enhance the songs on Fortress with their respective parts, instead of just serving as the rhythmic companion for the fretboard and vocal fireworks.

I simply love Fortress. I think it's the best Alter Bridge album yet (although Blackbird is a VERY close second). It's certainly the heaviest, and at times the most dynamic. Most of these songs will fit nicely live in AB's live sets, and there will be a few that will a strong radio impact, although I'm not sure if Alter Bridge really cares about the radio. For any doubters who still hold onto the fact that everyone except Kennedy are members of Creed, I think if you haven't been convinced that Alter Bridge is a stand-alone project that can hold their own well above and beyond Creed, then Fortress will hopefully convince you. Alter Bridge is a band that has hit a new high in their musical/song-writing prowess, and they show it in spades on Fortress. Alter Bridge the rock band has become Alter Bridge the metal band.

Linkin Park The Hunting PartyCirca Zero Circus Hero
Zac Brown Band The Grohl Sessions, Vol. IMetallica St. Anger
Gary Clark Jr. Blak and BluJack White Lazaretto
Austin (4.5)
An exceptional hard rock album that finds Alter Bridge at a creative high....

Christopher Geriak (4)
"If only I had found a way to tell you all the things you should've known"...

October 17th 2013

keep on rockin mother truckers!

hells yes we are ready to rock tonight

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

October 17th 2013

i was actually a little scared for this album because i didn't dig Addicted to Pain when i first heard it... but this album is phenomenal.

not as good as Blackbird, but i'd say it's their second best album

October 17th 2013

hell yea check the stooges dude

jmnewcomer18

great review, great album

October 17th 2013

agreed old music is for losers

jmnewcomer18
October 17th 2013

thats what im saying. sabbath, zeppelin? panzy shit.

First paragraph isn't needed

Forth paragraph is too personal

The sentence "I really like most of the lyrics on Fortress" isn't needed.

"I simply love Fortress. I think it's the best Alter Bridge album yet (although Blackbird is a VERY close second)." Not needed either. Reword to something like "Fortress is great/amazing/etc. and is do doubt one of the best records AB has put out."

Also, a couple of grammar mistakes. But otherwise, decent review. Just be careful when going personal, you don't want it to sound biased. Pos'd

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Seeds

dmp3131
October 17th 2013

I don't think he's worried about sounding biased considering his first sentence included "I am an absolute Alter Bridge super-fan" Good review, I actually like personal reviews sometimes.

gordodustin
October 19th 2013

Definitely gotta rate Fortress as their second best as well. I love all their albums, but Blackbird is still #1 for me. AB is easily in my top 10 favorite bands.

^ this exactly

blaaaaackbiiiiird flyyyyy

Iluvatar
October 19th 2013

kill why is this album so popular tell me

October 19th 2013

because some people still havent heard the who

October 19th 2013

i've heard they're on first

sploosh

johnnydeking29
October 20th 2013

Saw these guys live a couple of nights ago; absolutely fantastic show

Digging: Naked City - Radio

Lucky >:-(

johnnydeking29
October 20th 2013

Indeed...it was mainly Blackbird stuff though; they played Addicted to Pain, Cry of Achilles, Farther than the Sun and the Uninvited from this and I kinda expected more (but it's all good, so whatever)

October 20th 2013

Well, at least it was Blackbird stuff. After all that's their best album.