Avenged Sevenfold
Hail to the King

1.5
very poor

by Lambda USER (68 Reviews)
August 29th, 2013 | 26 replies | 3,646 views

Release Date: 08/27/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hail to the fucking king.

I can safely say, without hyperbole, that Hail to the King embodies almost everything I hate in music. Sure, there's no autotune (that I can decipher), but that's because they didn't have autotune in 1987. See, Hail to the King is some shitty attempt at being "retro" and "going back to the roots." Avenged Sevenfold's bassist Johnny Christ said in an interview about this record: "It's just the next progression." Guess what? If the band's idea of "progression" is going back twenty-six years, then count me out.

Hail to the King is a lazy, stupid, generic, pointless release. You've heard every song on here before, and done better. The whole record is a rehash of ideas not worth rehashing. It's mixed badly. None of the performances (with the exception of some decent guitar solos that are slapped haphazardly into the tracks) are noteworthy. Even the front cover art is just a zoomed in version of Waking the Fallen.

I reserve the 1.0 rating for stuff that is unlistenably bad. Hail to the King is not unlistenable. In fact, it's extremely easy to listen to. Don't believe me? Check out "Crimson Day" and "Acid Rain," two throwaway, done before ballads that your grandma might love (assuming she has a bad taste in music). Listen to the repetitive title track, which features a way too quiet lead guitar (the song's only redeeming factor) and allows the incredibly boring drumming to dominate the mix. You could listen to the atrocious "This Means War," but you might fall asleep because of its mind-numbingly stale... everything. You have to laugh at the shaker pointlessly added behind the main riff, though, presumably for some 'colour.'

To be fair, it isn't all horrendous (though most of it is). It's got a couple of nice orchestral moments, and the riffs, while mostly half-baked, aren't always bad. Plus, as I said before, some of the guitar solos are pretty good. But who cares? These moments can't make up for the rest of the album, which just flat out sucks. Hail to the King is one of the laziest, most irrelevant records of the year. I don't care what Johnny Christ says- you can't rip off Guns N' Roses, Metallica, or [insert 80's metal band here] and try and pass it off as a 'progression.' Progression is moving forwards, not backwards. Hail to the fucking king.

Dog Fashion Disco Sweet NothingsCasualties of Cool Casualties of Cool
fresh beatZ The MisunderstoodBuckethead Buckethead Pikes #13
Buckethead In Search Of The - Volume 10: 'F'Buckethead In Search Of The - Volume 9: 'O'
2.4

TheSupernatural
August 29th 2013

Paragraph 2, "It's mixed badly." Change it to 'poorly.'

Album sucks, Pos'd

Digging: Islander - Violence and Destruction

Mister Twister
August 29th 2013

Nice job italicizing letters to dodge the censor, pal.

sonictheplumber

fuck this gay band

GarlicBreath
August 29th 2013

A7X died with The Rev. I'm not surprised this sucks ass.

August 29th 2013

TheSupernatural: Thanks for the tip and the pos, man.

raisehell: Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but thanks.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery

August 29th 2013

surely you could put in more effort than this

adarkishman: Elaborate please, sir

MegaMetalHeadBro: Yeah, it's pretty darn bad

Scoot

band has always sucked

so glad the city of evil era is long gone round these parts

gordodustin
August 30th 2013

This band is always gonna be the popular band to hate. This album definitely isn't progressive, but I have to give them credit for making an album that completely different from the rest. But whatever, their obviously doing enough to get people who "hate" the band to go out of their way to bash them. No matter what, you can't deny that the band has instrumental talent.

August 30th 2013

"This band is always gonna be the popular band to hate."

Yeah, bands who make shitty albums tend to be.

"This album definitely isn't progressive, but I have to give them credit for making an album that completely different from the rest."

From the rest of their discography, yes, and not in a good way.

"But whatever, their obviously doing enough to get people who "hate" the band to go out of their way to bash them."

I don't 'hate' this band at all. And I'm not going 'out of my way' to bash them, I'm reviewing an album and it just happens to be a terrible one.

"No matter what, you can't deny that the band has instrumental talent."

And it's all but wasted on this steaming pile of refuse.

DrGonzo1937
August 30th 2013

Yup, band sucks a major one.

A poor attempt at hitting a mainstream audience.

August 30th 2013

its just not a great review, not very descriptive or even remotely unbiased
its not horrible, just not of a high quality, with a bit more serious work on it could be good though

and city of evil is still pretty decent but yeah band has horrible bands

horrible fans fuck

tommygun
August 30th 2013

them italicised swears are wreaking havoc on my mild ocd thanks so much

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

DrGonzo1937
August 30th 2013

What's your mild OCD, man?

ManaYoodSushai
August 30th 2013

I haven't listened to it yet, but this album got a 9 in Metal Hammer. It seems the internet disagrees

DanielNightLewis
August 30th 2013

As if a rating in a music magazine can be trusted. Those cunts will endorse anything for an exclusive interview or to shift copies.

I can't believe their editor used to be in Matter, they were so fucking good and look at him now, sucking the dick of mainstream unit shifters under a banner of "defending the faith".

August 31st 2013

adarkishman: Thanks for the feedback. Not exactly sure what you mean by some more "serious work," though.

tommygun: Sorry man

ManaYoodSushai: 9/100?

climactic
August 31st 2013

listened to the first couple songs, boring as shit. not like BAAAAAAD but pretty bad.

what happened to these guys man

August 31st 2013

climactic: I have no idea : ( I was never their biggest fan, but they were at least respectable before.