Queen
Live Killers

by Non-contributor USER (42 Reviews)
May 31st, 2013 | 11 replies | 1,320 views

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Is "Live Killers" really that much of a "Killer", or does it fall flat of being one?

What do you get when you combine Freddie Mercury’s vocal nodule ridden voice with tons of overdubs? Is it a messy mix of horror? No! You get “Live Killers”! That’s not a bad thing though, as when this album was recorded during the 1978-79 “Jazz” tour, Freddie wasn’t doing too well when it came to vocal ability. Queen had set out on the tour just weeks after they finished recording “Jazz”, and to make matters worse, it was a worldwide tour that lasted for several months. During the recording of “Live Killers” however, Freddie’s voice was gradually recovering, but not at top shape. So when recording “Killers”, the band had overdubs in mind, as usual when recording live albums. Queen manages to deliver a great performance (or performances considering the notorious search for the sources of “Live Killers”), but even with the overdubs, Freddie’s voice isn’t in top shape. The set-list is a good one, with it being diverse, something common during the “classic-era” of the group, and showing how different the band’s set was before it would be smothered with hits (Take the 1986 “Magic” tour for example).

The first side of the record doesn’t really showcase the band’s skill, and fails to really gain any momentum until “Get Down Make Love”, with the use of the Red Special, makes for a somewhat trippy listen. From there-on out, “Live Killers”, doesn’t fail to amaze and manages to stay consistent, making the listener feel as they are actually at a Queen concert (albeit, with loads of overdubs and the censorship on “Death On Two Legs”). Side One focuses on what I call the "Death On Two Legs" medley. As mentioned before, this particular medley compared to previous tour's medleys, is lacking in both consistency and momentum, and simply fails to spark any interest.

Side two, consisting mainly of the acoustic set, shows the unity of the band and how good they work together despite the songs being stripped down to mostly acoustic instruments. Side three is simply a Brian May showcase, with a great solo on "Don't Stop Me Know". The grand highlight of the side (and the album) has to be "Brighton Rock", featuring a blistering solo by May. Utilizing the Red Special to its full capabilities, he manages to layer notes upon notes upon notes to make an absolute and utter feast for the ears. Side four, like side two, is a full band effort, with all of them giving their all. Despite that, it happens to also be a chance for the rhythm section to shine, with Roger Taylor and John Deacon's abilities put to their fullest.

While not the greatest live record out there (Yessongs comes to mind…), “Live Killers” is an essential record for a Queen fan and/or anyone who loves listening to classic live acts performing, especially in their prime.

Kimono Kult Hiding In The LightA Slow Descent Dance With Me Upon His Secret Ocean
Yes Heaven and EarthThe Flaming Lips 7 Skies H3
Swans To Be KindThe Mothers of Invention Uncle Meat
gblackman (3)
Although admittingly there are better live albums by Queen, I would recommend this definitely for ha...

ZackSh33
May 31st 2013

Props for giving Deacon credit on the triangle

May 31st 2013

Sweet, more Queen on the front page!

Good review, man! Very concise but very descriptive. This is a pretty underrated live album in my opinion

May 31st 2013

Nah, I'm only doing studio stuff. I want to move on to other albums now, but thanks for the review! We need to push every gblackman review out of the flagged spots, haha

May 31st 2013

Good job Frip. It's a shame that there isn't a live album containing more songs from Queen II.

Digging: Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine I

Good review, as usual.

When discussing rock bands, I think it's highly relevant that you cover
ALL the band members. Queen wasn't just Mercury you know!

I mean, Brian May doesn't get a mention?!

But as I said, the review is good, just bear in mind that all rock bands
are teams. Ray Manzarek passed away recently, and he was just as
relevant to The Doors as Morrison was. Just my two cents. Cheers ;).

11960 Comments

And a correction to my previous statement: most rock bands are teams. Geoff Tate's incarnation of Queensyche is a horrid example of an exception.

There are bands centered around one person, but rock is generally characterized by the combined performances of musicians. I could go on talking about how there are shades of gray with regards to this but I don't want to insult anybody's intelligence.

June 1st 2013

Danny has a point. Another example is Axl Rose's modern GnR.

June 1st 2013

"When discussing rock bands, I think it's highly relevant that you cover
ALL the band members. Queen wasn't just Mercury you know!

I mean, Brian May doesn't get a mention?!"

I completely agree. Every member contributed so much to this particular band. They were sorta like the next-gen Beatles in that regard

11960 Comments

Much, much, much better. Kudos :D.

deslad
April 1st 2014

One of Queen's best live albums.

Digging: Nina Simone - Pastel Blues

June 23rd 2014

Stoked! At last, tracks from Queen II live.