My Chemical Romance
I Brought You My Bullets...

by BGChargers123 USER (4 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2013 | 7 replies | 873 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Overall, simply an amazing debut album from a band just beginning their legacy in the world of Rock/emo music that will have you listening again and again.

If you've had the opportunity to read my review of My Chems 2004 hit "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge," Then you already know how grateful I am to this New Jersey 5 piece for providing me with an anthem thought my high school years and practically saving my life at the times I needed it most, and their 2002 Debut album "I Brought you my Bullets, you Brought me your Love," is certainly no exception to this. If you enjoy raw but passionate hard rock music and well written/passionately sung lyrics with just a hint of hardcore involved, then you're in for a treat here. Just in case you didn't know, MCR is:
Gerard Way- lead vocals
Mikey Way- bass
Ray Toro- lead guitar, vocals
Frank Iero- rhythm guitar, vocals
Matt Pellisier- drums/percussion

After witnessing the 9/11 tragedy firsthand, Frontman Gerard Way was hit with the inspiration to start a band in which he could voice the many emotions and opinions that he had bottled up inside. Fast forward a few months, and guitarists Ray and Frank, drummer Matt , and finally enlisting his own brother Mikey to fill bass duties, My Chemical Romance was born. Production begins on the beautiful debut that is this album. Keep in mind that this is a debut album on Eyeball records, so sound wise the music could use some production work. At certain points on the album, while Ray does hit some great solos and excellent riffs (Headfirst for Halos, Honey this mirror isn't big enough) his sound had the tendency to clash with Franks rhythm guitar strumming and create instances of simply bland sound, which is cleaned up on later releases. Matt's drumming, while solid throughout and great range presented, suffers from the same problem and at times Falls into this trap of instrument clash with a string lack of editing present. Some will enjoy this, like myself, as it creates a raw live feel as if you are truly front row at a My Chem concert, while others may long for a cleaner, smoother sounding record. Mikey's bass , while not audible much through this album (a staple of the genre) plays along fine and keeps up with the drums nicely.

Gerard's vocals , however, are the glue that holds this album together. A passionate vocalist that uses screams, vocalizing, or any other tool in his arsenal to deliver his heartfelt lyrics, Gerard shows off his talents in an evident way on the album. Following a surprisingly soothing instrumental opener from the guitar section in Romance, we are hit with the single Honey this mirror isn't big enough for the two of us. Great way to start off the album, what with simple yet powerful lyrics of relationship issues, screamed and sung perfectly by Gerard and frank at just the right times, plus great guitar work by frank and perhaps Mikey's best bass performance on the entire album, you have a great track. On to the next single Vampires will never hurt you, and we are treated to some of Gerard's most symbolic lyrics to date, using the theme of vampires as an analogy to love to its finest. Great choice for single, catchy as well, perfect fills by Matt too here. Drowning lessons also features great lyrics, nice vocal range from Gerard, and the guitar section playing off each other extremely well to play some complex riffs here. Our lazy of sorrows, much like the later this is the best day ever c
, Clock in just over 2 minutes eachand although rather short, pack a powerful punch, particularly the former in its catchy chorus and great singing from Gerard. Unfortunately, these two songs suffer most from the aforementioned production issue, and as a result the music may sound like simply noise at times.

The third single, Headfirst for Halos, is MCR at ITS finest: great riffs from ray, nice chords from frank, Matt's awesome drumming, and even solid audible bass from mikey, topped off by perhaps Gerard's best singing on the album in terms of variance and range. This is what the bands about, and with great lyrics to boot(love the Peter pan references ) , this tracks hard not to love. Skylines and turnstiles makes a strong case with halos for best in the album, with beautiful lyrics inspired by 9/11 and in turn questioning ones place in the world, and delivers this better than Gerard with his ever passionate vocals, love the screams by frank too that are sprinkled here and throughout the album. Track 10 , Cubicles,is my personal favorite from the cd, and I cannot begin to express how many nights I spent listening on repeat to ease my thoughts. Never before have I seen such powerful, relateable lyrics, beautiful singing/scream changing from Gerard, and ray really shows his guitar range here as well, this song makes case for one of My Chemsbest songs IMO.the album closes out with the almost ballad like Demolition Lovers, and what better way to close out the album than with a song that perfectly sums up the bands name : chemical romance. Great drumming when called for , Matt really can pound when needed, and the guitar/bass teams are solid, with Gerard s consistent emotional singing to boot.

Good luck getting this album off your stereo, and while there is the problem of production value, there really is nothing else that holds this album back from being a very good, if not great, hard rock album and a super start to My Chemical Romamces illustrious 12 year career.
Key tracks: Honey, this mirror, Headfirst for Halos, Cubicles, Vampires will never hurt you

3.2