The Dillinger Escape Plan
Ire Works

by James Grant USER (14 Reviews)
March 11th, 2013 | 41 replies | 1,969 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An incredible release from an ever-strengthening outfit.

Mathcore can be a tricky genre; at least it was for me. The complex time signatures and constant changes in tempo was rather unappealing when I first stumbled across it a few years ago. Enter Dillinger Escape Plan, a band that made me give the genre a second chance just recently. The thing that set apart Dillinger apart from any other band in the genre for me, was the mass experimentation the band utilises. In some ways, Ire Works could be described as Dillinger's most ambitious effort to date: the glitchy electronic sound textures mixed with distorted guitars being one of many new features added. The question is, does Dillinger still have their roots intact when it comes down to the powerful force applied? The answer is yes, very much so.

The album begins fiercely with the pounding opener, 'Fix Your Face'. The track begins like you'd expect, with punishing drumbeats, catchy yet technical riffage and Puciato's shrieked vocals, the track struggles to be anything less than brilliant. The track then flows into the short but powerful ‘Lurch’, which seems like more of the same upon first listen. In a sense it is, the brutal nature of the opener is applied here but in a much more straightforward manner. The song packs in everything it can, climaxing to the brilliant outro, which leaves the listener drained, and in a sense of awe.

Up until this point you must be thinking: 'So, has anything actually changed here?' Based on the first 2 tracks the answer would obviously be a firm 'no'. Enter 'Black Bubblegum', a track that utilizes Dillinger's more accessible side perfectly. The thing that sets this track apart from the previous is, firstly, the tempo. Puciato and co slow things down here and completely strip any 'core' elements the band has be associated with over the years. Instead, the track seems more reminiscent of just a simple (albeit badass) rock song. The guitars are distorted to provide a thick yet catchy groove, which instantly hits home the different direction that Dillinger are embracing. Also, coupled with Puciato's clean vocal harmonies you'd never guess that this is the same band who created the goliath that was 'Calculating Infinity'.

The surprising thing is that 'Ire' gets even more surreal straight after the 3rd track. 'Sick on Sunday', 'When Acting As a Particle', 'Nong Eye Gong' and 'When Acting As a Wave' all incorporate electronic elements, and to great effect. At first, these newfound techniques can seem a little awkward to listen to, but on repeated listens you begin to see how the tracks actually break up the album very well. The tracks provide a somewhat melancholy edge to what it mostly a very technical and crushing LP.

When all is said and done, ‘Ire Works’ is just another fantastic release from an equally fantastic and consistent band. Not only do Dillinger perfect upon elements of their previous LP ‘Miss Machine’, but they also incorporate new elements which makes ‘Ire’ their most expansive release. However, if you are new to Dillinger then I would suggest debut ‘Calculating Infinity’ rather than this as the album showcases what the outfit utilize mostly throughout each LP. Saying that, ‘Ire’ is still a release that still feels unappreciated, maybe it will grow in time…who knows?

Every Time I Die From Parts UnknownNile Annihilation of the Wicked
Cult of Luna Somewhere Along the HighwaySlayer World Painted Blood
Cancer Bats Dead Set On LivingCancer Bats Bears, Mayors, Scraps & Bones
user ratings (2036)

March 11th 2013

My first write up in a long time, any criticism is welcome.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

March 11th 2013

good review man, still gotta check this thing out

Digging: Black Flag - My War

March 11th 2013

Cheers man, I told you to last week!

Wanna jam?

March 11th 2013

i completely forgot haha.. I'll get to it.

and yea man we're jammin' now.

March 11th 2013

and constant change in tempo was rather unappealing

constant changes were

The thing that set apart Dillinger apart

mass experimentation the band utilised

utilises; they haven't disbanded or died yet, so this can be a present tense.

The song packs in everything it can

Drop the "in".

Your punctuation could use some work as well.

And perhaps my biggest gripe with the review is that you shift focus way too much. First, you're talking about your experience with the band and album, and in the following paragraph you're change to a more conversational style. I sometimes do that as well, but the transition from the one writing style to the other doesn't really work here, imo.

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

March 11th 2013

Sweet man, not written in a while so it could probably use some polishing.

March 11th 2013

Yeah, it's not a bad review per se, but it could definitely use a small rewrite.

Curious for the new album btw. Should be tits.

Pos'd ...very good album indeed

Gonna be a 5

March 11th 2013

Is this ur fav by DEP,bro??

Yeah i think so

March 11th 2013

Cool ... i'm gonna check this album after finishing Hypocrisy's self-titled

March 11th 2013

Its been long since hearing this

March 11th 2013

I like OP a bit more, because it has the same experimental tendencies as Ire Works but is overall more coherent.

March 11th 2013

Its just punishing, Puciato sounds amazing too

tempest--
March 11th 2013

Pos'd, need to check this. I've only heard Option Paralysis, but it rules and they were sweet when I saw them live.

March 11th 2013

Lloyd man you really oughta check Calculating Infinity. also you should come jam with us!

tempest--
March 11th 2013

Yeah I've been meaning to listen to them for a while, I really want to hear the EP with Mike Patton
I don't know if I can, does it work in Australia?

March 11th 2013

yeah the Mike Patton EP is unbelievable. and yeah man, it's all available in all countries. http://plug.dj/hybrid-theory/

Jamming this hard m/