Coheed and Cambria
The Afterman: Descension

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (196 Reviews)
February 4th, 2013 | 37 replies | 2,399 views

Release Date: 02/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The storyline continues…

For those unknowing of the storylines behind each album Coheed and Cambria has released they coincide with Claudio’s ongoing comic series which focus on a rather sci-fi matter, and in the case of the Afterman Series are actually a prequel to The Black Rainbow. Both the Ascension and Descesion focus on Sirius (the main protagonist) and his exploration of an energy source that holds seventy eight planets together. The albums tell of the struggle of the journey and also the complications of the choices made once returned home. The title – The Amory Wars Saga.

Despite the walking comparisons found in comparing one to the other, Coheed and Cambria have always released records in a series, like a never ending book which has chapters following the next – finishing, but not quite ending. The Afterman Descension picks up where Ascension (and rightly so) left off. It’s not so much as a carbon copy but more of an extension of the previous. There is a contrast though, where Ascension had a roughly darker straight-forward theme, The Afterman Descension finds itself sightlier poppy. It’s not a display of rainbows just more mellowed, up-beat and thoroughly uses the electronic devices to promote this bouncy energy; ultimately the record closes the Afterman chapter on a high note, but is far from changing the opinions of listeners’ either way. For fans, this release is everything the record needed to be, full of hooks, thick sounding soundscapes and strong content – however for those who found most Coheed and Cambria records over-bearing or try hard in nature this is sure to continue that trend.

The Afterman Descension has its share of classic singles, sure enough to be mentioned on the listeners’ “try this track” before you write them off, but even with the digital effects, wah-oh’s and well-placed hooks tracks like ‘Key Entity Extraction V: Sentry The Defiant’ and ‘The Hard Sell’ display some of the strongest song-writing Coheed and Cambria’s had since the early days of the Good Apollo series. In fact ‘Sentry The Defiant’ may just be one of the catchiest tracks to be ever produced by the group just by using a simple riff presence and excellently timed hooks. Regardless, the release is critically consistent, building off the first so-called chapter in the Afterman series and developing into a quality display of song writing and a great storyline.

Musically, most of the album is top notch, apart from the occasional filler sections that do no more than push the record along its journey, maintaining the storyline ensuring that everything is well presented and shown with a flair for virtuosity. However there is a feel that if this wasn’t indeed a concept album the storyline would be non-plus and all listeners would be left with is the occasional single, an extremely catchy hook from time to time and a more than needed filler section. Thankfully this is not the case and the storyline acts as the records backbone, highlighting just how well this concept can be applied musically to the comic book saga. The Afterman Descension shows an excellent execution in design. Building off the foundations of the first chapter in the Afterman series Coheed and Cambria round off the story but not without leaving the door wide open for yet another chapter…

Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Miserable Failure HopeBong Stoner Rock

February 4th 2013

I know I'm going to be one of about 50 users to put a review up for this but here's mine.

greg84
February 4th 2013

Really? It isn't nearly as good. The 2nd half of this is so damn boring.

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

fish.
February 4th 2013

Both albums are pretty average. Don't get the hype

Digging: Gesaffelstein - Aleph

MO

you get my vote for contrib

February 4th 2013

Sorry Greg, I actually found them about the same level - really enjoyable to say the least.

you get my vote for contrib

You make me a very happy Ipod. : ]

My vote for contrib too

I can't imagine how much time you put into listening to albums and writing up these reviews

I wish I had the time write more but at least there's a few peeps like yourself who are staying solid

and obvs promotion time is up so I understand the larger influx

greg84
February 4th 2013

I forgive you ;) Good review, even though I partly disagree.

sixdegrees

Ipod4Contrib 2013

idk if I'll bother with this, i've kinda lost interest in this band.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

Aw shucks El Capitano : ]

I get a fair bit of time at work listening to whatever I like (as long as it's not during service) hell, the boss even let's me jot down notes and such as long as I'm ahead of time. I always write/submit like this (steady) and yeah it looks good for this time of the year but really this is my constant work flow.

February 4th 2013

Thanks Greg, and cheers Six. It's Okay Greg we don't have to be on the same level with every release.

February 4th 2013

well sweet I'm glad your circumstances allow, props

February 4th 2013

Im glad to. Writing about music is something i take seriously, it keeps me sane and music speaks multiple languages that anyone can understand.

Brostep
February 4th 2013

Man you've been pumping these out recently, good luck on your contrib application but you probably don't need it haha. Have a pos

February 4th 2013

What do you people see in this album

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

February 4th 2013

Lol, thanks man - but that's what I'm trying to get across I'm not just throwing these new release rev's up for the promotions, this is my normal work ethic; usually a review a week (or more) which also covers me for the downtime of the year.

Irving
February 4th 2013

Decent review, but this sentence - It is almost unpreventable that The Afterman Descension has to be compared to the precursor of the story in The Afterman Ascension. How could it not? Look at the title is honestly a bit silly.

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

February 4th 2013

Yeah thanks Irv's, It still has its purpose though.

Irving
February 4th 2013

Actually I don't think it does. You could have begun your second paragraph with "Despite the walking comparisons found in comparing one to the other" and it'd still have worked perfectly fine.

February 4th 2013

Yeah I can see that, Thanks Irv's i'll revise/edit that. It's a little predictable too isn't it?

Gwyn.
February 4th 2013

"What do you people see in this album"

what do you people see in this band

Digging: diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral