Radiohead
The Bends

by Ross Delany USER (35 Reviews)
February 17th, 2006 | 32 replies | 4,831 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Radiohead have a certainÖ unusual quality about their music, their influences are varied and the bands they have influenced are amazing bands. This album, in my opinion, is joint first out of all of my albums. If I were one of the run of the mill ďOMG Ok CoMpUtEr iS tEh UbEr RoX!1!1!1!" Radiohead fans, 2 things would happen,

1. I would start rambling on about how OK Computer is the best album to be released with the best songs ever

2. I would get banned for posting like a total fruit loop.

So, how does ďThe Bends" match up to other, ďbetter" albums? Well, considering I, personally, am not one of the aforementioned ďOMG Ok CoMpUtEr iS tEh UbEr RoX!1!1!1!" Radiohead fans, in fact, I donít consider myself a ďfan" as such. but this album opened my eyes to so much, and OK computer hasnít done that.

How am I going to justify what is, quite possibly, one of my more controversial musical arguments? Simple, but complex, if you sit down, pour yourself a nice cup of tea, Iíll begin the review proper

____________

The music of this album fluctuates between many styles, whether itís the acoustically driven, almost melancholic songs like Street Spirit (fade out) and Fake Plastic Trees, which utilise Thom Yorke and Johnny ís guitar playing skills well, to the all out, bounce up and down, brimming with energy songs like Just, this album just works.
The instruments lock together so solidly to produce great songs as a unit. For example the combination of the brothers (Johnny on guitar, Colin on bass) works so well, one knows exactly how to compliment the others part in the song. Then there is the solid addition of Phil Selway on drums, who provides some solid rhythm keeping throughout the album, supplying some noticeable drumbeats on tracks like Just, where the need for a more noticeable drumbeat is more noticeable. Whereas tracks like Street Spirit (fade out) have a more minimalist drumbeat which is very barely noticeable, leaving the main focus on Thomís vocals and the guitar.

One thing that is undoubtedly true is that Thomís voice is one of the more unique voices in modern music, and while other vocalists have been attributed to using the vocal rang that Yorke uses to a greater effect, the emotion that Yorke pours into his vocals and lyrics make them, absolutely, unique. Unlike the previous album, Pablo Honey, Thom doesnít indulge in the same amount of lyrical self loathing, instead, turning his hand to different topics, such as breaking up with a partner,(High and Dry) and pulls it off with a stunning poetic flair which leaves listeners wondering how this could be topped. Add to these lyrics Thomís typical, eerie, ghostly voice, and you have a formula for success. This ďwinning formula" is illustrated in many of this albumís songs, for example, the haunting lyrics of Street Spirit (fade out) coupled with Thomís voice provides a great atmosphere through the song. Then remember that this formula runs through the album, although in different forms, for example, The bends follows a different vocal structure in the choruses, (itís more of a shout from Thom) but the general formula stays the same, which, I suppose could be seen as a curse or a blessing, depends how itís looked at, but I enjoy this slight bit of order in the music

As if these two elements on their own werenít enough, they link up perfectly, Colin, Ed, Phil, Johnny and Thom, all work perfectly as a unit, understanding each memberís strong point and making said strong point sound even better. Add to this an amazing level of consistency, songwriting standard, instrumental prowess and a link between the members that seems telepathic, and you have an album that wonít just go down as an album of the decade, but an album of the century, maybe more. Itís a classic by all means and will provide 99.99% of people with a joyful experience,

So, to end this, is this better than OK Computer? Yes, yes, yes and yes. I cannot stress it enough, this album is stronger an all dimensions yet has been unfairly shadowed by OK computer. This album was Radiohead at their rocking best, and is quite possibly, the best album that can be bought today

innerdark gives this album a rating of 5/5

Muse The ResistanceThe Fall of Troy Phantom on the Horizon
City and Colour SometimesThrice Red Sky
The Fratellis Costello MusicMuse Showbiz

February 17th 2006

propz to kripes for help with grammer

Neoteric

Nice review, Street Spirit is beautiful

February 17th 2006

Solid review, but I think you made to many comparisons to Ok Computer. I agree that it is superior to OC, but that doesn't matter that much coinsidering few think this and it doesn't make the Bends a better album because of it.
'Fake Plastic Trees' and 'Treefingers' are my favorites off the album. With the exception of the albums opener I don't think I skip any tracks, there are so many memorable songs off this album that its amazing.

February 17th 2006

'Fake Plastic Trees' and 'Treefingers' are my favorites off the album.

Treefingers is on Kid A.

I think OK Computer is better, and I can't even explain why. There's just something about OK Computer that I love, and I can't find that in the Bends. The Bends is still excellent though, probably my 2nd favorite Radiohead album.

February 17th 2006

Ouch, I always seem to mix that song up with 'Bones.' I need to start listening to Radiohead more.

February 17th 2006

Everybody needs to listen to more Radiohead. 'Tis good for the soul.

Iai
February 17th 2006

It's stopped from being a 5-star because "Bones" and "Sulk" are quite possibly the two worst Radiohead songs ever. The rest is awesome, though.
And Ok Computer kills this for me, of course.

Med57
February 17th 2006

This is down to a 4 for me now. While half of the album is absolutely sublime (Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Just, The Bends, etc, there are some pretty lame songs on it too. The ones Iai mentioned are both pretty bad, but (Nice Dream) and Planet Telex don't do much for me either. I've got a half-finished review of this lying around somewhere which I've never bothered to finish. :-/

pulseczar
February 17th 2006

Solid review, though Kripes isn't the best person with grammar.

This is one of the most overrated albums ever, I wanted to write a 3.5 star review for this but it'd just get ignored by everyone who has an inexplicable passion for this album.

February 17th 2006

Go ahead and write that review, it would probably be an interesting read. This used to be my least favorite Radiohead album but it grew on me the more I listened to it.

Wanker
February 17th 2006

Yeah, you should do that.

Iai

but (Nice Dream) and Planet Telex don't do much for me either

Yeah, same. But I can live with those two.

February 17th 2006

Hm... I actually like Planet Telex. Along with Street Spirit and High and Dry.

Yay for comment 100.This Message Edited On 02.17.06

sgrevs
February 17th 2006

What a fantastic album!! I would say I guess it ties first in Radiohead rankings along with Kid A. I'd give them both a 4.5. Awesome review too!

Storm In A Teacup
February 17th 2006

[quote=Jom]So long as he didn't help you with your spelling... and dare I ask how much he helped you with? It could still use a lot of fine tuning... :-[/quote][quote=Gala]Solid review, though Kripes isn't the best person with grammar.[/quote]:upset: I only went through it for five-minutes after he finished. He didn't ask for help; he showed me the review before he turned it in, and I only pointed out the major stuff.

Good review.This Message Edited On 02.17.06

February 17th 2006

he is right by the way, he only pointed out the real glaring mistakes

Storm In A Teacup
February 17th 2006

And when he says glaring, he means staring straight into the sun glaring.
I need some Radiohead, I've barely heard anything from them though.

February 17th 2006

last time i help you out bud

Killtacular