Cave In
Perfect Pitch Black

by Ecnalzen USER (17 Reviews)
September 29th, 2012 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cave In gives us a taste of what is to come before they went off in hiatus. 'Perfect Pitch Black' is an attempt at splicing the genres they have played around with so far with pretty successful results.

My first experience with Cave In was with Antenna and then I just kind of made my way backwards with their releases until Perfect Pitch Black came out. I am more of a fan of hardcore/post-hardcore when it comes to heavier music and/or screaming vocals, so I found this release more appealing than their metalcore roots. I did find a new respect for the band when I discovered how their styles changed so wildly between releases and how well they pulled each one of them off.

Perfect Pitch Black tries to combine the best of Cave In on one disc. While it never quite reaches the intensity of the metalcore sound they started out with on Until Your Heart Stops, it still brings some heavy riffs in and the screaming vocals return. While songs like “The World is in Your Way,” “Off to Ruin” and “Trepanning” might not be enough to bring in some of that original fan base that probably left when they dropped the metalcore, it is a more accessible version of a heavier sound combined with the previous styles of progressive and rock. It’s not all heavy guitars and screaming though. The CD is split pretty evenly between the hardcore and the rock/progressive.

“Paranormal” is just that; an even split between the two. It actually feels like the divider of the album, sitting right in the middle and almost combining all the different sounds of Cave In on one song. It delivers very mellow, spacey/progressive like sounding verses that almost clash with the crushing distorted guitars and screaming vocals of the chorus. While it seems like it shouldn’t work, it does in a surprisingly wonderful way. After all that is said and done, we get a nice visit back to the space rock sound found on Jupiter with the last two minutes of the song that just flow into the also spacey sounding “Down the Drain,” a completely mellowed out Cave In song. “Tension in the Ranks,” is another spacey sounding mellow track placed towards the end, but this is really the only time Cave In slows down for us. The rest of the album has a pretty upbeat, more aggressive feel to it.

“Off to Ruin” and “The World is in Your Way” are such odd songs, both having these goofy main guitar riffs to them. While the former has a very dark undertone that it carries along, the latter is just bipolar. It’s a strange juxtaposition for the both of them, but Cave In pulls it off. “The World is in Your Way” has a bit of a similar feel to “Paranormal,” where the screaming parts and heavy guitars almost come out of nowhere the first time they are introduced. But just like on “Paranormal,” the transitions somehow work. Then we have “Trepanning,” the very aggressive, hard rock gem of Perfect Pitch Black. The minute the song starts out, you know exactly what you are in for and it’s a hell of a ride. With a single guitar and a scream that just belts out over the speakers, the song is an absolute blast as soon as everybody joins in until the second it’s over. I bet it would be a fantastic song to hear and see live.

The album is just filled with sounds of the past as Cave In tries their best to combine all their previous efforts. We get another instrumental track, just like on Jupiter, called “Ataraxia.” It’s wonderfully done and probably my favorite track, along with “Trepanning.” Last we have the two rock tracks, “Droned” and “Screaming in Your Sleep,” which could fit right in with some of the songs from Antenna, with more of an aggressive feel. I would also like to give a special mention to the bass. It doesn’t get lost in the mix and you can hear it on a regular basis playing along in the background, diverting itself from the rhythm guitar quite often. A lot of times the bass is just a follower of the rhythm guitar in a rock setting, but not with Cave In. It’s a nice change of pace.

If anything, the only downfall Perfect Pitch Black has is that there isn’t necessarily anything new here from a band that changes styles so regularly. Granted, the CD wasn’t intended on being an actual album, it was more just a collection of songs. If anything, it shows us that Cave In is on a path to show what they are really made of.

City and Colour The Hurry and the HarmTrucker Diablo Songs of Iron
Vocal Few Tall TreesThe Computers Love Triangles Hate Squares
Halifax The Inevitability of a Strange WorldAnberlin Vital
blackwater (3.5)
Perfect Pitch Black: Awesome heavy rock album with a clever title ....

supraman_2 (4.5)

20158 Comments

hey good to see you submitting reviews and well written. pos.

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

ChuckyTruant

good review

September 29th 2012

Thanks dudes. Appreciate it.

20158 Comments

you bet. by the way you don't have to but if you edit your review you can add bands to the recommended by reviewer section.

that's often the first thing I look at before even reading the review because it gives me an idea of the bands genre ;)

September 29th 2012

Honestly, I don't really listen to any bands that I think sound like Cave In. They are just a very unique band in my eyes and ears. I am sure they sound like someone else, I just don't know who. I usually try to put something in there, but all I could think of was their previous CDs.

20158 Comments

Oh gotcha yeah some bands are hard to think of recs for. I'm pretty sure I have some reviews where I couldn't think of any either I was just letting you know in case you didn't know : )

Ah, thanks.

This is actually a rewrite. This was the 3rd review I posted when I first got on the site, but I ended up hating it quite a bit so I got it taken down last month and started from scratch.

September 29th 2012

Thanks, cobra. That it is.

ThunderNeutral21

love this band

September 29th 2012

They are the good stuff.

Voivod

Great album.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

sixdegrees

yeah this rules.

Digging: Satomimagae - Koko

September 30th 2012

Have any of you guys listened to 'White Silence?' I think I enjoyed 'Perfect Pitch Black' more than it.

sixdegrees
December 2nd 2012

White Silence > this imo

December 2nd 2012

I think this works better as an album than White Silence. This is more consistent, but I will admit that White Silence has some better songs. White Silence is just all over the place musically (mostly the last half) and it's kind of hard for me to listen to it straight through sometimes.

osmark86
February 15th 2013

this album is more sonically consistent than White Silence, but the latter offers more as a listening experience. then again, I enjoy being thrown curve balls when listening through an album.

February 15th 2013

I get that. I don't mind a versatile album. It's mostly just the way it's ordered and the fact that there are only 8 'actual' songs on White Silence. It's very front loaded with the metalcore and then you get 4 random songs and it's over. If the track list was shuffled a bit and there were a few more songs of the different styles they use, I would have liked it a lot more.

osmark86
February 19th 2013

possibly. I don't mind the order at all. it moves from hard to soft creating two distinct feels to each side of the album. based on songs alone both albums kick ass and it's still a tough choice between the two, but White Silence comes out slightly stronger for me.

HaloDude442
February 21st 2014

excellent album, i'm actually surprised the rating isn't higher. I feel like the contrasts they attempt here are pulled off quite nicely

February 22nd 2014

Agreed. For an album that wasn't really supposed to be an album, I think it all works pretty well.