Bjork
Selmasongs

by KILL USER (57 Reviews)
August 11th, 2012 | 30 replies | 3,583 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: rattle clang crack thud whack bam!

As most of you know, Bjork rules. Shes is the beautifulest, fragilest and hottest person ever made. And when she gets bored of making amazing albums she likes making brilliant films. This record is the soundtrack to the the ever so depressing movie Dancer in the Dark. Bjorks performance is seriously impressive and its also a good movie to kill yourself to. Selmasongs takes most of the songs from the movie, with generally great results. Some of the songs differ from the movie versions, which is confusing and mostly a negative aspect of the album. I've Seen It All is a duet featuring Thom Yorke, a match made a heaven, or so you'd think. The song in the movie is sang by actor Peter Stormare. Although Thom is a more skill full singer, his voice doesnt seem to fit the mood of the song as well as Peters. Songs such as Cvalda and In The Musicals are just as unique and thrilling as they were in the film. Scatterheart completely omits the vocals of David Morse and Cara Seymour, which surprisingly doesnt negatively impact the song. It could easily find a place in her album Vespertine, featuring fractured beats very similar to those of that album. The subtle strings really make the song as well as her magnificent vocals. Another issue with the album is that only a select few songs work well separate from the movie. Tracks such as 107 Steps and Overture are simply not up to scratch when comparing them to the rest of the songs.

Selmasongs is overall, a great record and features some of her most ambitious and unique songs of her career. Her vocals are as chode tingling as you'd expect and the lyrics are as fun as ever. Even with a few tracks not being up to par, this is still a worthy purchase for any Bjork fan.

Chicane Behind the SunLush Mad Love
Cryptic Slaughter ConvictedMeat Puppets In a Car
Porcupine Tree Up the DownstairHeathen Victims of Deception
Rick van Veldhuizen (4)
Between an album and a soundtrack. Between 20th-century classical music and 21st-century beats. Betw...

August 11th 2012

great album amazing movie hey guys

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

breakingthefragile
August 11th 2012

Beast review, so pos. I actually like this soundtrack a bit more than I like the film it goes with.

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

August 11th 2012

thanks bro, damn dude i thought the movie ruled hard, got me teary eyed and for a thrasher thats hard to do

breakingthefragile
August 11th 2012

Oh I agree, it's a damn good movie, Bjork's performance really moved me. Powerful stuff.

Hyperion1001
August 11th 2012

Shes is the beautifulest, fragilest and hottest person ever made.

so much truth

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

Calc

11989 Comments

"got me teary eyed and for a thrasher thats hard to do"

gay..

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

August 11th 2012

am i gay for being in touch with my emoticons? boys DO cry the cure were wrong!

Calc

11989 Comments

shit maybe I'm gay for NOT being in touch with my emotions...ah fuk i never thought of that..

johnnydeking29
August 11th 2012

Sounds cool, am gonna doublebuy Homogenic and Medulla sometime soon, now that I'm no longer 100% obsessed with Post (what's Medulla like btw?)

Digging: Naked City - Radio

August 11th 2012

medulla is a cappella, its pretty fuckin weird but it grows on you hard

August 11th 2012

i approve of that summary.

queefman

unban me

PuddlesPuddles

awesome review, pos

am i staff yet

Ire
August 12th 2012

love byurk so much she rules

staff now

ZedO
August 12th 2012

you are our unofficial staff, KILL

Jellingman
August 12th 2012

1st line of this review is the truth, man!

hamid95
August 12th 2012

The movie was freakin' soul-crushing! *whimper

Storm In A Teacup