Radiohead
Kid A

by johnny of the Well USER (38 Reviews)
July 30th, 2012 | 30 replies | 3,007 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The soundtrack to an era

There is a man outside. He's wearing only black and white, neither smiling nor frowning, he stands with his shoulders slumped outside my door, as if unsure why he is there, he has no meaning, no purpose or no significance; he is just...there. As I watch him, I start to feel confused, as if...
There is a man outside. He's wearing only black and white, neither smiling nor frowning, he stands with his shoulders slumped outside my door, as if unsure why he is there, he has no meaning, no purpose or no significance; he is just...there. As I watch him, he raises a hand slowly, as if he is a puppet on a string. I start to feel confused, as if my mind...
There is a man outside. He's wearing only black and white, neither smiling nor frowning, he stands with his shoulders slumped outside my door, as if unsure why he is there, he has no meaning, no purpose or no significance; he is just...there. As I watch him, he raises a hand slowly, as if he is a puppet on a string. He looks at me with unfocused eyes and tries to smile, but it just looks so vapid. I start to feel confused, as if my mind is spinning in circles...
There is a man outside. He's wearing only black and white, neither smiling nor frowning, he stands with his shoulders slumped outside my door, as if unsure why he is there, he has no meaning, no purpose or no significance; he is just...there. As I watch him, he raises a hand slowly, as if he is a puppet on a string. He looks at me with unfocused eyes and tries to smile, but it just looks so vapid. I frown slightly, unnerved by how this stranger makes me wonder how to respond to him. I start to feel confused, as if my mind is spinning in circles and I wonder what I am doing here...

I could go on and on with this expanding cycle, but it is easier to explain it. The significance of Kid A when it was released was huge; the minimalism and claustrophobic feel of the album reflected the isolationalism in modern culture and the hazy, aimless lyrics captured the fear of a lack of purpose that lurks in the minds of so many of us. The 'man outside my door' is the man that Kid A has grown up to become. He is unsure of his direction or his significance and he does nothing but smile and wave as society pushs his life along for him. There is nothing unconventional about him because there is nothing unconventional in this day and age. Back in his day, he was Kid A, the first human clone, but today he is only one of many, the bannerman on the uninspired generation.

It is very important to notice that Radiohead themselves did almost nothing to cultivate the speculation surrounding the conceptual aspects of Kid A and its significance in relation to its time of release (other than say that Kid A could refer to the first human clone). The reason that so many people have made links between this album and changes in modern culture and lifestyles if because of the extraordinary power of the music and the overall atmosphere of the album. Radiohead could have made all the statements that people who have heard the album have made, but all their statements would have been totally meaningless if it wasn't for the fact that the sound of Kid A captures the spirit of our speculation so effectively.

As far as the music is concerned, Kid A is successful because of its minimalism and the powerful, bleak atmosphere that it creates. Everything in its Right Place opens the album in a relaxing manner, Kid A continues in the same way, whilst becoming slightly disturbing, The National Anthem brings in some chaos with the addition of a brass orchestra, How To Disappear Completely expands the theme of a lack of purpose with its bleak soundscapes and lyrics ("I am not here, this isn't happening"), Treefingers emphasizes this theme more by taking the bleakness even further. Optimistic is comparatively upbeat and has a hint of sarcasm in both its title and the lyrics ("You can try the best you can, the best you can is good enough"), In Limbo is very spacey and sounds just like its title implies. In Idioteque the sense of hopelessness and lack of purpose becomes panic, which is conveyed perfectly by Thom Yorke's soaring vocals and the driving drum beat. Although Idioteque is clearly the climax of the album, Morning Bell is my personal favourite, a more subtle song that portrays an insane mix of emotions. Motion Picture Soundtrack concludes the album on a dour note that leaves the listener very much satisfied, if not slightly overwhelmed.

There is no need to actively consider Kid A's links to reality; the best way to understand them is to simply listen to the album.

Porcupine Tree FutileLocktender Kafka
Kayo Dot Dowsing Anemone With Copper TongueBend the Sky Observatory
Where Mountains Meet Journey WellBullet for My Valentine Temper Temper
4.4

July 29th 2012

Please be lenient with this review; I know it's far from perfect but it was the best way I could capture what I heard with words

Digging: Naked City - Radio

Satellite

20723 Comments

*its minimalism

also wut

July 29th 2012

Idk, I had a few ideas for this (like the bit at the start) and I wanted to see what anyone else would make of them

Ire

yea

YoYoMancuso

it's a good review but there's already like 12 trillion reviews for Kid A

July 29th 2012

I know, I felt kinda guilty about posting this but I didn't write it for its own sake. Thanks

OneMoreRoland

Only thing wrong here is the score. should be a 5

July 29th 2012

Idk, am kinda confused about the rating, it's currently a really high 4 (basically 4.5) and although I don't like it enough to be a 5, it might graduate after a while

July 29th 2012

bold looks really bad, use italics

Is that [I ] [/I]?

barcafan21

1914 Comments

the last paragraph brought the review down, but it was still really good. pos'd

whatever you know

July 29th 2012

Yeah, the last sentence is unnecessary.

July 29th 2012

like this but without the spaces

July 29th 2012

damnit it works even with spaces

the words you want italicized

July 29th 2012

"radiohead? never heard of them."

Me neither.

July 29th 2012

holy fuck it even works in different lines
bracket i bracket before the words and bracket backslash i bracket after the words

July 29th 2012

I was trying to show him how to do italics but every time it just made the words italics

Crandy gave this a 1/5 must suck

this text is blue
this text is two sizes larger than normal
this text is blue and two sizes larger than normal