Bad Religion
No Control

by Ire USER (9 Reviews)
June 21st, 2012 | 64 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What the world would be like if we had no control?

I used to only listen to metal and Alice and Chains and stuff, but then this guy Rob showed me some punk bands and oh *** this one is the best. Bad Religion is the best punk band and No Control is their best album. They were just some nerdy kids from the outskirts of LA that wanted to make some punk rock but make it for like nerds and smarty pants, but even the common man can understand how much these guys rock.

Let's talk about some of the great lyrics: Bad Religion are angry at stuff, well duh I mean look at their name, they are mad at religions and the government and dumb ***s who like those things, I guess. The lyrics are so good they are almost educational. I sure did learn a lot. But they also have some lighter lyrics about candy canes and choo choo trains too and I like those so that's a good song. That song is You by the way, and it's the best ***in' song. It starts off really heavy and like in a minor key, but it's really catchy in an unconventional way which is really cool. I like the lyrics to Automatic Man, I think it's a guy who plays with himself in his sleep or something which I can relate to. "Don't Be A Henchman" This is from the song henchman and it teaches you not to do bad stuff just because someone told you to like freebasing meth or something.

"Big bang big crunch you know there's no free lunch"
To me this means like breakfast is the most important meal of the day like big crunch is captain crunch and no free lunch is like don't worry if you can't get lunch just focus on breakfast. Greg Graffin is a great singer and he sings about stuff that matters. These guys do a lot of cool vocal harmonies which is cool and it makes it a lot more melodic and you're are like wow this is pretty melodic for punk at the time. You will be rocking out and singing along to this record for days it's that good.

Just cuz it has some melodies doesn't mean this record isn't heavy. It's heavy enough for a punk record, it's got pounding drums and great guitars that are loud and fast and in your face and stuff. Some of the songs are almost like thrash, like when I listen to Sometimes I Feel Like, he says that and then there is this part that thrashes hard and boy is it great. This is the second of Bad Religion's big three, and while they all rule hard, this one is definitely the best. It just has the best songs and the most stand out tracks. I Want To Conquer The World is a cool song too. Sometimes I feel like that and like I would make hockey the most popular sport instead of that pussy soccer stuff and I would also get rid of the drinking age cuz drinking is fun for the whole family. In this song Greg says he wants to give all the idiots a brand new religion, but he's just ripping off Tom Cruise cause he already did that when he invented Scientology.

What separated Bad Religion from the rest of the pack is the killer songwriting and the lyrics that make you think stuff. Most punk can be too straightforward and it's like they are doing the thinking for you and just straight up telling you how they feel like Minor Threat and stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm saying that's why Bad Religion is special, because you got to think about the lyrics and ***. They also had really good production for the time and everything comes out clear and the guitars are really heavy but clean at the same time. The song Change Of Ideas says it all. This album just has a bunch of crazy ideas and it changes every 2 minutes because the songs are so short and it's up to you to decipher it and what not.

The Strokes Comedown MachineDaft Punk Discovery
Blink-182 Cheshire CatOpeth Morningrise
Alice in Chains DirtCrypticus They Called Me Mad!
4.3
tom79 (4.5)

Dwayne_Pearce (4.5)

Best review yet

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

BadReligion
June 21st 2012

This review made me join the site just to tell you how awesome you are. Thank you

jayfatha

That's the best line

BadReligion
June 21st 2012

Did you even read the part after that

June 21st 2012

"To me this means like breakfast is the most important meal of the day like big crunch is captain crunch and no free lunch is like don't worry if you can't get lunch just focus on breakfast."

June 21st 2012

Who the hell would neg this masterpiece?

June 21st 2012

Sonic get this it's really good

PeterKlaven

Great review, very funny

Masochist
June 21st 2012

A review like only Cone could write.

was in tony hawks underground

Oh, look at the cute little young'un :-P LOLJK

But really, I remember listening to "You" on THPS2. That was the song that introduced me to the band, and they have been my favorite band for over a decade now.

June 21st 2012

Then why haven't you heard this

June 21st 2012

Dang, I actually thought this review was by Ire.

Guess not

Aids
June 21st 2012

amazing review. i actually read it all.

June 21st 2012

It's like reading a BigHans review; wise, funny as hell, and makes sense

Hans would be proud

I miss that bastard

June 21st 2012

Very very entertaining read. I'm guessing Rob is Trebs.

Cool.