Modest Mouse
The Moon & Antarctica

by Alxander19 USER (5 Reviews)
April 29th, 2012 | 21 replies | 2,192 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So long to that cold, cold part of the world.

You really have to hand it to Modest Mouse. Starting as an incredibly weird and spastically energetic indie rock band, they had in 2000 somehow gained a spot on a major label, remaining the same incredibly weird and idiosyncratic band Right off the bat of being accepted to a major label, the band then released The Moon & Antarctica, which endured the backlash many left-field classics must, and is now cited as a landmark album along with the likes of Radiohead's Ok Computer.

That Issac Brock and Co. would choose to make their strangest and most fearless album after moving to a major label is also admirable, but the album has a feeling that is almost mythical; it's an album that builds itself and tears itself down, sinister and mercurial one moment and then startlingly brash and blunt the next, and it always sounds imminent, like every piece wasn't composed to fit into a perfect whole but through the circular swirl of sounds and moods ends up sounding exemplary in control and atmosphere. The way that songs drift from their realms of melancholy and moody acoustics and bizarre production to crystal clear storms of introspective fury is wholly engaging and moving, exciting and vital . Listening to the album is to listen to the sound of a band staring death starkly in the face, confusing the difference between the afterlife and space because there is no difference if we're always alone, always isolated, always caught up in our own personal "hell from the inside." The Moon & Antarctica isn't just a great rock album, or a landmark piece of music. With this, Modest Mouse made a work of art, a statement. The Moon and Antarctica are the same place, cold and distant, but humanity lives in both parts of that world, and Modest Mouse, through 15 tracks of life-questioning and life-affirming music, tells you how it is to be alone down there.

4.3

Eko
April 29th 2012

I agree with everything you said except for this being their strangest album. pos

April 29th 2012

I really wish I was more articulate pertaining to any individual songs or just the sound of the album
as a whole, but I felt like to do that would be the longest review ever, so I just decided to talk
about the feel of the album and its lyrics and themes, which, I believe, are the reasons it's a
masterpiece.

Anyways 2nd review and criticism is appreciated.

Archelaos
April 29th 2012

Modest Mouse's earlier stuff reminds me a lot of The Pixies. That is to say I'm madly in love with it.

Good review, although you could/should have fleshed out your ideas more. One thing:

I think 'also' is unnecessary.

April 29th 2012

WELL I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE ALONE DOWN THERE TO BE ALONE DOWN THERE TO BE ALOONNNEEE

chambered69

soooo goooooood

Yazz_Flute
April 29th 2012

Yeah I definitely think Long Drive and Lonesome Crowded West are stranger than this.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Slum
April 29th 2012

i've read so many reviews that start with "you really have to hand it to ____"

April 29th 2012

I just didn't feel like talking about the music as much. I mean it's so amazing and varied, but the humanity and emotion from Brock is what makes it art. On a side note, Alone Down There is my favorite song!

April 29th 2012

You really have to hand it to the reviewer for having the audacity to start the review with "you really have to hand it to"

April 29th 2012

You really have to hand it to Slum for being so observant.

Slum

oh you guys

ThunderNeutral21
April 29th 2012

i bash this album all the time and ive never heard it in full

Lought
April 29th 2012

MODST MOUSE FUCFK YES DUDE GREAT REVIEW IT DESRVES A FEATURES ND DCISK AND CNIS 3 W

April 29th 2012

It's okay because I do the same with Jane Doe. I love the instrumentation but christ I can't stand the vocals

Eko
April 29th 2012

I'd much rather see a short review that just sort of hits on generals than a 10 paragrapher that talks about every song

ThroneOfAgony
April 29th 2012

Alright review. I just wished you went into more detail with the sounds.

chambered69
April 29th 2012

you really have to hand it to

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
April 30th 2012

They stopped being as modest after this.

profoundword
April 30th 2012

Was driving around to this today, I think I prefer Long Drive though... I guess this is more complex and sentimental but I miss the raw emotion and abrasive instrumentation from the earlier stuff. Decent short and sweet review, pos.

Phideaux