Theocracy
As The World Bleeds

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2011 | 64 replies | 12,529 views

Review Summary: high octane progressive power metal.

Power metal is an often hated genre, and sometimes it deserves its hate. The music can be so blatantly cheesy and in-your-face that it’s almost painful to listen to at times. However, when employed in such a way that it retains its power, without forcing it, good power metal can be made. Take Theocracy’s new album, As The World Bleeds, for example. It’s not based around a silly sci-fi concept or anything typical of power metal, its inspiration comes from God. Now while the atheist musical consumer might shudder at the thought of Christian lyrics, the truth is that this album is too good to ignore. In terms of musical quality and lyrical content, Theocracy are one of the greatest success stories in Christian music (yet they are severely underrated). Although playing balls out progressive power metal, their message is just as compelling as any worship music band out there, except with interesting music to back it up. This band makes Christian music seem more appealing.

As The World Bleeds picks up right where Mirror Of Souls left off, with technical skills audible, heavy riffs, and catchy songs. As always, though, the highlight is the lead singer’s vocals which are some of the best I’ve heard in a metal band – his range is absolutely ridiculous. Add on to that Theocracy’s trademark tactic, vocal layering, so as to make the vocalist sound like a choir, and you get one powerful performance. You can bet your butt it’s a silly album, but it’s also a blast. The cheesiness level in this album makes it seem as if it’s the contemporary musical answer to Petra Praise’s classic praise album, The Rock Cries Out. Basically, As The World Bleeds rocks hard, and due to its old style, it feels like an instant classic. It’s hard not to like.

I’ve tried my best to find negative aspects to this album, but I failed. I’m not saying this because I am an insane, deluded fan boy who is too easily impressed, but rather because As The World Bleeds is, objectively, an amazing album. In fact, I believe I’ve already said too much. Listen to this album and you’ll see what I mean.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
4.2
Friday13th (5)
As the World Bleeds defines Christian Metal....

AnEpicDeath (3.5)
A theatrical American Christian power metal album? And the biggest surprise is that it's good....

Mirror Of Souls

December 2nd 2011

Another review 'cause that's how I roll.

Acanthus
December 2nd 2011

Cheesy powermetal??? Why I never! : )

wacknizzle
December 2nd 2011

WOW, this dude got pipes. You really like cheese man. Oh, man this band is all about stormin the fuckin castle.

Digging: Amenra - Mass V

That's right fellow men!

wacknizzle
December 2nd 2011

This makes me want to throw on a viking helmet, wear a loin cloth made of the fur of a 1000 wolverines, and sail the 7 seas railing fair maidens bitches everywhere.
This dream MUST become reality!

MisterSteel
December 2nd 2011

Don't know if want... but I love chessy power metal too much not to check this out.

aok
December 2nd 2011

Summary: high octane progressive power metal

youtube some tracks in your first comment (deviant style) so i can see if this is worth getting

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

December 3rd 2011

This is not cheesy power metal, Theocracy doesn't do cheese. I will publicly declare that I am a Christian and can determine, based on lyrical inspection, background checks and what the music makes me feel, that Theocracy is one of those bands who truly represent my beliefs, unlike the stereotypical Christian metal band; these guys dump the cheese factor in favor of honesty and come out better. The musical quality is just about always higher; I'm planning to review the debut as a demonstration of both qualities.

A bit of a short review, pizzamachine, but solid enough. I've heard about half the songs and this CD looks like it will be a step down from Mirror of Souls when I was expecting the opposite, which is rather disappointing.

aokuneff: Check Ulterium's YouTube channel, with 30 Pieces of Silver and Nailed.

POS POS POS POS POS POS POS POS POS

good job good chap, I see you've taken action after our little rendezvous

you are promoted to anchor man!! good work

this album owns hard. yeah whatever you say about the lyrics, this album is about the music and
feel. different from most power metal, this band adds thrash and FANTASTIC compositions. I mean I
don't really even listen to power metal, so this shows that a lover of death metal and the more
extremes can find great interest in this beloved piece

so again to my laddy

POS POS POS POS POS POS POS POS POS

December 3rd 2011

@ jybt: Yes I completely agree, it may be cheesy to some, but Theocracy is one of those bands who truly represent my beliefs [2]

@ CaptainDooRight: awwwww yeah cheers! :]

Eclecticist
December 3rd 2011

I have been trying to expand my power metal library so I checked this out and (imo) it isn't better than a 3.5

December 3rd 2011

Hey, a 3.5 is still pretty good!

Xenophanes
December 3rd 2011

mmmmmm....delicious pizza review? yes please

December 3rd 2011

With every slice the taste improves!

Eunuch
December 3rd 2011

Can't wait to check this out. Theocracy are one of the only good power metal bands around.

December 3rd 2011

Eclecticist: Try Mirror of Souls before giving up. It has several instant classics of Christian metal (three of them, I would count: 3, 4 and 8), power metal and even one of prog metal.

endorphin
December 5th 2011

never has a metal band opted for an intensely symbolic album cover in its entire history

UNTIL NOW

December 5th 2011

What the? You had 4 out of 4 votes, then it dropped to 3 out of 4. Someone on one of my reviews seemed to have been banned, with all his (her?) data removed, and thus one of my pos'd votes went away; maybe this happened here, and then the next vote came to be negative.

December 5th 2011

Now I'm even more confuzzled about this conundrum hahaha