Mogwai
Earth Division

by Eli EMERITUS
September 15th, 2011 | 42 replies | 9,247 views

Review Summary: Just when I'd given up trying to care, Mogwai give me everything I've ever wanted.

Just when I’d given up all hope of buying into the hype that’s been surrounding Mogwai their debut, they go and release something that makes me almost believe. After all, I’ve always been perturbed how the band has always held their “post-rock” elite status after releasing bland record after bland record. Mr. Beast and Young Team can both easily be cited as efforts that worked, and worked well. However, for each of those, there’s one or more The Hawk is Howling to match it. Well, as I stand here a skeptic, Earth Divisionappears, attempting to make me into believer.

What Earth Division does so well is play up on Mogwai’s strengths, creating an incredibly tight, cohesive package that ends up being some of the most beautiful material the band has ever produced. It’s more minimal, and the band’s eccentricities are kept in check. Granted, it’s all a little more conventional than the band is accustomed to, but it works so damn well that it’s difficult to complain. Overall, it’s a different sort of beast, and one which Mogwai are more than comfortable with. Strings and keys are featured more prominently, and in a much more intimate fashion than ever before. Also, the band’s more rock oriented sound has all but been removed, making Earth Division one of the band’s most mellow releases. Whether it be the lush piano filled “Get to France,” or the haunting vocal lead “Hound of Winter,” Earth Division holds plenty of incredible material to keep one listening.

The EP’s brevity is actually one of its stronger aspects. What was so irksome about their latest release, Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will was the absolutely inane runtime. Compared to most records produced by their peers, said album was actually rather short, yet felt twice as long. In trimming some of the fat, Mogwai have ensured that Earth Division not buckle under the same faults. True, it is an EP, and by nature it is brief, but it should be commended on how well it utilizes its short sixteen minute runtime. Never does it bore and never does it outstay its welcome.

Earth Division is a marvelous little EP by one of post-rock’s most inconsistent bands. Beautiful and minimal, yet somehow completely exhilarating, Earth Division is something both fans and skeptics alike can enjoy.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
Zenith Lazerstorm (3.5)
This most recent release by Mogwai shows wy they have been able to stay relevent today as a veteran ...

minty901 (3)
Bleak beauty....

Xenophanes
September 15th 2011

I hate Mogwai but love this.

Super cereal.

pizzamachine
September 15th 2011

This is good news! :D First paragraph seems clunky to me dunno why.

Rev

Woah a Xeno review. I need this

XENO FOR CONTRIB/STAFF

fuckthatnoise
September 15th 2011

Totally disagree about them being inconsistent. Even my 2 least favorite of their albums - Rock Action and Mr Beast - are still both pretty cool n stuf.

Good review man. And this rules.

Transcend
September 15th 2011

"the hype that’s been surrounding Mogwai their debut"

I think there should be a "since" in there. Otherwise, great review.

YetAnotherBrick
September 15th 2011

I should listen to this.

Ire

eli for news mod

September 16th 2011

one review per day, maaan

jk though pos'd

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Eli is God

User reviewers who are immune to the rules: Irving, Xenophanes, Ifghtffyrdmns

Basically the future crew of contrib recruits (not that I know anything, just stating the semi-obvious)

balcaen

xeno on fire tonight.
mogwai on fire this year.

taxidermist
September 16th 2011

Like I said earlier today, Xeno for contrib! Automatic pos just for being Xeno.

Jash
September 16th 2011

Just when the review was starting to hook me in, it ends, but then again what do I know I haven't written anything in aaaggggeeeessssss. But you did peak my interest enough to check this out, Young Team has always been a favorite of mine but nothing else theyve done has come remotely close to living up to it for me

September 16th 2011

Happy Songs for Happy People is my favorite of theirs (besides Young Team of course).

Ignimbrite
September 16th 2011

I never could really get into HSFHP for some reason.

September 16th 2011

This only thing I don't like about HSFHP is the cover art.

Ignimbrite
September 16th 2011

Dunno, the whole album was just a bit too simplistic for my tastes.

UnnamedOcean
September 16th 2011

This is out? YESSSSS I need me some Mogwai.

toxin.