Alice in Chains
Jar of Flies

by Reywas USER (3 Reviews)
November 19th, 2005 | 18 replies

Genre : Grunge/Acoustic Rock
Lenght : 30 min 37 sec
Label : Columbia
Producer(s) : Alice In Chains

Jar of Flies was the first and only EP to reach #1 in the US album Billboard chart.The name comes from a high school science experiment of Jerry Cantrell (Singer/Lyricist/Guitarist). He took two jars, filled one with flies and food; the other with two flies and no food. The flies without food ended up eating each other.

Evolving from the alternative, progressive sound of the first track to more traditional ballads, the album seems to pay respects to Cantrell's musical roots. While the songs were all written and recorded in a single miserable and alcohol-laden week, some critics hailed it as a mini-masterpiece.

What you'll immediately notice is the downtuning.AIC use : D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#.So that's basically why they have such a widespread tone as the tuning is pretty common.

1) Rotten Apple (6:56) - Starts with a bass playing a nice melody.Soon a guitar with a talkbox effect layered over it shows up to make for the rhytm section.The drums are subtle but important for the general feel of the song.The instruments continue up to 1:08 when Layne kicks in.Now the vocal performance is one of the most deppresingly beautiful vocal performance I ever heard.It's absolutely incredible.Certanly Layne's finest work in my book.The normal song structure is present but the song gives off a progressive vibe.The guitar solo at 5:29 is quite impressive, especially considering this is labeled as grunge.One of the best features of this song is its replay value which is incredible.I'm currently at my 35+ sitting. (Written by : Cantrell, Inez, Staley)
(5/5)

2) Nutshell (4:16) - The second track is almost as good as Rotten Apple.It's one of the saddest songs of the grunge period.The only way I can describe it's acoustic beauty is by comparing it too Radiohead's How To Disappear Completely.It gives off a sad vibe.The vocal performance really does make you wonder what was happening in Layne's head at the time.His voice is classy and not overused, it's incredible.The drums are laid back and relaxing.This song also has incredible replay and emotional value. (Written by : Cantrell, Inez, Kinney, Staley)
(5/5)

3) I Stay Away (4:13) - The guitar intro is great with two acoustics and a layered viola melody.Now what you must understand about this song is it's structure.It really combines the happy guitar melodies of the verses and the sad vocally dominant choruses.Even with the sad parts, this song is one of AIC's most uplifting work.Layne's lyrics are less doom-laden and more cheerful and hoping.The most notable thing about the choruses are the orchestrated viola performances that add depth and give off an anthem like victory vibe.Finally the electric guitar climax hits it's height during the "I Stay Away" final chorus where everything breaks down onto what probably is the heaviest moment on the cd. (Written by : Cantrell, Inez, Staley)
(4.5/5)

4) No Excuses (4:15) - With an outgoing pace Sean Kinney's gentle drumming lead's us into No Excuses.The song has a nice vocal harmonizing part beetween Staley and Cantrell and is a simple Cantrell written acoustic sing-along.It has a nice short electric guitar solo.Cheerful and singable but not the highlight of the album for me.Even when there is not much to be said about the song I can't bring myself to give it a low score.It's a good song with a catchy chorus, just not as interesting as the previous three. (Written by : Cantrell)
(4/5)

5) Whale & Wasp (2.35) - Now here is an interesting song.I'm not sure AIC ever did anything simmiliar to it.It's an instrumental with a doomy sounding guitar acoustic produced subtly under a weirdly played lead guitar.This song also has a cello.That's how weird it is.The bass is just complementing the acoustic and W&W has no drums at all.It's hard to generally rate this song cause it's so opinion based and frankly it's not for everyone's taste. (Written by : Cantrell)
(3/5)

6) Don't Follow (4:21) - This is Jar Of Flies low key hidden gem.It's calm, relaxing and heart warming at points.Jerry's guitar is wondefully soothing and gentle.The harmonica addition gives the song a nice blend of classic rock and country rock feelings.Vocally/Lyrically it's some of Cantrell's best work with AIC.He sings about wanting to find a way home beyond his reach and closes the song with Layne with a tender relaxing touch. (Written by : Cantrell)
(4.5/5)

7) Swing On This (4:04) - Not a bad song after repeated listenings.It' quite unique in AIC's catalogue.Not that great of an ending though.The record should have finished on a note simillar to Nutshell so this is quite a dissapointment.It's not a bad song, just not a good ending to the EP.Definetly not as good as the album highlights.It features the full band at work.The inro/verse reminds me of the Seinfeld theme song bass work.An easy going melody complements the trademark Staley vocals during the verses, but the electric guitar brings back the some of the heaviness for the choruses.The song ends with Jerry improvising on Inez's bass melody and that sums up the EP. (Written by : Cantrell, Inez, Kinney, Staley)
(3.1/5)

Alice In Chains on this record are :

Jerry Cantrell - Guitar, Vocals
Sean Kinney - Percussion, Drums
Layne Staley - Vocals
Mike Inez - Bass, Guitar, Vocals

Final Grade : Even though I gave some bad marks to individual songs this cd is a classic for an EP, probably a 4 when compared to LP's.But as an EP it's excellent and highly replayable.I reccomend this to any music fan.This 7 track EP is packed with much emotion and beauty.The shorthess of this classic is where it's beauty is at.

4.3

sj_2150
November 19th 2005

still gotta listen to this one. AIC rule and i miss layne staley like hell

November 19th 2005

Yeah he was such a cool guy.Unplugged is so sad to watch these days.

Neoteric
November 19th 2005

[quote=Vague] Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Kurt Cobain, and countless other people have downtuned a half step. It's a pretty common thing now, which allows easier string bending and a slightly heavier tone and sound. I don't know what you're talking about.[/quote]
But that's one step and a half down, not one measly half step.

Dried Muffin Remnants
November 19th 2005

I Stay Away is easily the best song on this album.

No Excuses and Nutshell come close.

4.5/5. Awesome album.

Zebra
November 19th 2005

Good track by tracks, nice work.

I don't think this is worth the cost. This ep was expensive and although it is good, it is not great. "Rotten Apple" is a masterpiece.

November 19th 2005

Something Vague.I missused the word rare.It should say widely used.Nirvana produced Nevermind, their most commercial album without a single half step downtune.In Utero and Unplugged are mostly half stepped down though.Jimi and SRV used the tuning occasionaly but AIC used it all the time.The only time they used normal tuning was on Bleed The Freak from Facelift and on their self titled LP.You are right.It's not rare at all.This Message Edited On 11.19.05

Electric City
November 19th 2005

But that's one step and a half down, not one measly half step.

Nope that's a half step. D#=Eb

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

Killtacular
November 19th 2005

Put the band line-up at the end of the review, please.

Neoteric
November 19th 2005

I know, Vague explained it on MSN, I got owned, to MusicOfficial.

November 19th 2005

Wish granted Scruples.I feel the review looks better this way.

riobravo1023
November 19th 2005

Great CD. My favorite is "Don't Follow."

heavy metal kid
December 17th 2005

I love this album, Rotten Apple and Nutshell are my favorites.

Dried Muffin Remnants
December 26th 2005

Don't Follow is very boring.

I Stay Away, No Excuses, Nutshell, and Rotten Apple are all fantastic, though.

What I like about this album is that it sort of talks about the same grunge/bluesy type material as Dirt, but this album is much more laid-back and has more of an acceptance theme to it - as opposed to a suffering theme in Dirt.

Zebra
December 26th 2005

Rotten Apple is probably my favorite Alice in Chains song out of all of their albums.

ShameInYou
January 20th 2006

The whole CD is great, but I think they just kinda threw Swing on This onto the album. The songs are in Eb or D# tuning, except for I Stay Away, which is in Db or C#. Although, you did do a very nice job to accept other people's opinions for the album votes. Nice review.

Anglachel
February 20th 2006

Rotten Apple FTW.

One of AIC's finest work. Great review.

tom79
February 20th 2006

This is a great album, "Nutshell" being my favourite on it.

Digging: Karate - Some Boots