Radiohead
The King of Limbs

2.0
poor

by antigodoflife USER (1 Reviews)
March 12th, 2011 | 52 replies | 5,715 views

Review Summary: The greatest brit-rock / electronica band needs a good old fashion eagles-esque hiatus or we may lose them forever, which at this rate, may be for the best.

Radiohead is a band from Oxfordshire, England who after dismal beginnings made two of the greatest brit-rock albums of the 90s, which was closely followed by ‘Amnesiac’ and ‘Kid A’. Amnesiac and Kid A were a pair of pretentious electro albums, a pair of albums that split a fan base in half and generally shocked fans for it’s different to the then normal Radiohead sound. Those two albums had the general advantage of growing on someone in time. After two more average at best albums, the band released their eighth album ‘The King of Limbs’ an album which can only be described as a production disaster.

‘Bloom’ starts the album with a disoriented but beautiful piano loop and after some reversed percussion the whole thing turns into, out of time / out of key electro-jazz. Instruments - mainly the bass - spend the whole time trying to out do each other in an attempt at being the dominant sound, even if it means clashing with the other tracks. When Bloom finally fades out, ‘Morning Mr. Magpie’ begins completely out of the blue and is generally a much cleaner song than Bloom but suffers due to Thom York’s horrid choice of melody, to put it bluntly the song doesn’t get better. Along with Morning Mr. Magpie, ‘Feral’ and ‘Separator’ are worth just flat out skipping as the songs only removes from any experience you may have gotten from the album. The song ‘Giving Up On The Ghost’ on the hand is worthy of a listen but due to it’s painful repetition may get on some people’s nerves and probably would have done better being the final track.

‘Little By Little’, the single ‘Lotus Flower’ and the ballad ‘Codex’ for what it’s worth are the highlights of the album. Little By Little is the cleaner and far more melodic version of Bloom and Morning, Mr. Magpie, but it still suffers from the same things Bloom does which unfortunately takes away from the experience. Lotus Flower, if you can get past the first 45 seconds, has one of the most addictive chorus’ of any Radiohead record but as with every other song that Colin Greenwood plays in, in The King of Limbs, takes away from the over all enjoyment.

It would almost feel like a blessing if you hadn’t enjoyed the album that it had a mere eight tracks and was just over thirty-seven minutes length. The truth of the matter is that in the multiple sessions it took Radiohead make the album, they just didn’t enjoy making it. Making a decent lengthed album would have been bad for the band, may have even killed the band. For Radiohead to continue with the greatness they once were and for them to continue to want to make music with each other, they may need to take a few years apart. What sounds like bad news for fans is better than the alternatives of them breaking up or releasing terrible album after terrible album.

letsgofishing
March 12th 2011

Great job at writing a review for the sole sake of being controversial.

And what the fuck are you picking on Colin for?

Jash

kthnxbai

WashboardSuds
March 12th 2011

i like out of time / out of key electro-jazz

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

holy shit radiohead came out with a new album when did this happen?

psykonaut
March 12th 2011

stopped reading when you called kid a and amnesiac pretentious

WashboardSuds

how do you know this?

really cause one of my shortcomings for this album was that it was too small

Slum
March 12th 2011

You missed the boat by a couple weeks

Rev
March 12th 2011

Amnesiac and Kid A were a pair of pretentious electro albums

hahahahahaha u dum

antigodoflife
March 12th 2011

Oh wow... I just pissed off a lot of people by accident.

I'm sorry I didn't like the album as much as you guys - I honestly believe it's their worst album to date, I didn't intentionally mean to offend. God, I'm reviewing an album I like, next time.

The comments about Greenwood was that I found his bass lines to be unmelodious and hard to listen to at times. Strong on 'Little by Little' though.

And as for the comments about the band not handling it, it's slightly paraphrased quotation from Yorke in his interview with The Believer, you could probably find at GreenPlastic somewhere if you looked hard enough.

demigod!
March 12th 2011

Can't you guys accept the fact that he just didn't like it? Not all negative reviews on generally liked albums are controversial; people just have different opinoins.

I'll admit, the review wasn't the most well-written thing in the world, but it wasn't bad, either.

I disagree with most of what you say (mostly about Radiohead's back-catalog), but I didn't like this album much either.

Digging: Failure - Magnified

james420

demigod knows

letsgofishing

Yeah, I get negative reviews and I'm fine with them

but when your summary instantly calls for a band to "break up", well at the very least that's a slight bit overhanded.

james420
March 12th 2011

lotus flower is pretty cool

demigod!
March 12th 2011

it was okay. worthy of a pos, i think

Aids

37er00

good rating

AngelofDeath
March 13th 2011

If you breathe in queefs long enough, you go crazy.

True story.

thebhoy
March 13th 2011

this review is not very good.

james422