Moonsorrow
Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

by Kyle Ward STAFF
February 25th, 2011 | 182 replies | 23,192 views

Review Summary: A solid and engaging, if a bit one-dimensional, folk metal album that keeps Moonsorrow's noteworthy discography flowing along without a hitch

Moonsorrow have always been a consistent band, even outside the stagnant and constricted confines of folk metal. It’s hard enough to create a folk metal album that doesn’t incapacitate its listener within the first few tracks; it’s even harder to create one that has any sense of replay value beyond the novelty value it may hold. So, for Moonsorrow to have almost an entire discography worth of impressive, if not noteworthy, albums is, well, unusual. It should come as no surprise, then, for the band’s latest album Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa to be along the same lines; a solid folk metal album that is wary to step outside the strict bounds that Moonsorrow have cornered themselves into. But then again, their ability to write engaging material, however simple, is a talent they wield to its fullest potential; the sole asset that makes Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa as excellent as it really is.

That’s not to say that the album is full of boring slop that somehow, when mashed together, adds up to more than the sum of its individual parts, because that wouldn’t be doing the album justice. It’s a concept piece that follows in the lines of Viides Luku – Hävitetty, set in a scene of a post-apocalyptic world that proves a stark departure from Moonsorrow’s Viking roots, but one that fans should be relatively comfortable with at this point. Naturally, the album follows this concept with a resounding focus, leaving in between the four “real” tracks on the album a set of interludes that serve to further the story, leading to the final culmination on the penultimate track “Kuolleille” and its subsequent partner “Kuolleiden Maa”, a track which is easily the most flowing and epic piece on the entire album. Leading up to this crescendo is a slew of the standard Moonsorrow repertoire: riffs that are constantly collapsing in the wake of another, building steadily higher and higher to create the unceasing epic feel that is so crucial to the atmosphere of Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa.

It’s epic in a different sense, though, than the kind found on Viides Luku – Hävitetty. The album feels more like a soundtrack, composed to complement its underlying story, a trait that may seem off-putting to listeners who care little for what the album is about and instead are in it for the music solely and not the baggage to go along with it. The absolutely wonderful production on the album leaves nothing behind in the precarious void caused by a subpar mix, but also keeps the instruments and vocals in check, not letting often troublesome instruments like the keyboard sneak up behind and suddenly strangle the life out of the listener. The balance of things keeps the album flowing well, with the plucking of the bass as much a contributor to the album as Ville Sorvali’s sharp, biting scream. Overall, the album runs its course without much fuss, not doing anything wrong in any sense but not really jumping out at the listener with something completely unexpected. The guitar solo during “Kuolleiden Maa” does stand out as an element which comes out of left-field, the only really adventurous and technical guitar endeavor on the entire release.

The lack of variety and relative simplicity doesn’t stop Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa from being an undoubtedly worthwhile addition to Moonsorrow’s increasingly solid discography. When all is said and done, the album will remain as an engaging and fun release which is about as consistent a display as anyone could ask for. Is it superb? No. Is it excellent? Absolutely. Lofty expectations can often be the worst thing for a listener going into an album, and those who go into Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa expecting miracles or a vast reworking of Moonsorrow’s sound will not be happy. However, those who ease into the album expecting a solid folk metal album from a solid folk metal band will be downright giddy.

Empyrium The Turn of the TidesWolves in the Throne Room Celestite
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereInsomnium Shadows of the Dying Sun
Ainulindale NevrastSargeist Feeding the Crawling Shadows

February 25th 2011

Personally a 3.75, but as I was writing this review the tone came out as more of a 3.5. Whatever, album is still great.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

ButcheredChildren
February 25th 2011

I should review this album and give my side
unfortunately my intention span is limited cuz I found this boring

February 25th 2011

Wizard mentioned something about reviewing this as well, I'm sure he has some similar opinions as you about this because he gave the same rating.

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Excellent review as always sir.

ButcheredChildren
February 25th 2011

well if he reviews it then I won't bother but I really need to get into writing reviews

ffs

why is the moon sorry

Hawks
February 25th 2011

Nice review as always brother. Can't wait to finally listen to this.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

shrapnel

why is the moon sorry

oh ffs

February 25th 2011

Nice review as always brother. Can't wait to finally listen to this.

Finally manage to get your computer working?

TheStig
February 25th 2011

Nice review. I have it rated a bit higher, but great review nonetheless.

Hawks
February 25th 2011

Nope it's not working yet. And I wanna commit suicide.

cvlts
February 25th 2011

not a fan of the genre, but a fan of the author. good job, bro.

Much appreciated.

alachlahol

the combination of band name and album art ensure that this will suck balls

plane
February 25th 2011

I agree with this review immensely. I wish I hadn't been expecting so much more, but damn. Even the title track off Tulimyrsky destroys this in its 30-minute entirety.

Tyrael

20740 Comments

the combination of band name and album art ensure that this will suck balls

Wrong

FadeToBlack

what would u know

February 25th 2011

Yeah I definitely think people were expecting too much out of this album.

relativeworld
February 25th 2011

Recently listened to V: Havitetty & Verisäkeet, love both of them!

awesome review too ! will listen to this in near future.

Mowgli
February 25th 2011

Which would you say is better this or Kivenkantaja? I have most of their other stuff exept these two

Also my first comment :D