Radiohead
The King of Limbs

by sonicExplorer USER (3 Reviews)
February 21st, 2011 | 65 replies | 7,645 views

Review Summary: Radiohead's most personal and dysfunctional record brings us closer to the band than any other Radiohead record has allowed.

When I think of Pablo Honey, I think of a band thrust into the spotlight through a single, brutally honest song. When I think of The Bends, I think of a band that married pain and suffering to an army of angry guitars. When I think of OK Computer, I think of a band that raged inside their own technology-dominated world, and when I think of Kid A, I think of that band finding beauty and emotion in that world. When I think of Amnesiac, I think of a band that taunted and jeered at it's critics as it hammered its own gospel on an old Baby Grand, when I think of Hail to the Thief I think of a band splaying out their ideas and delusions of grandeur in a maelstrom of complexity, and when I think of In Rainbows I think of a band who was ready to acknowledge that they were still human beings who DID like catchy riffs and danceable beats.

When I think of The King of Limbs I think of Radiohead.

The King of Limbs does what he pleases. He does not care about his subjects, he does not care about his rivals. He makes the forest break out into a marvelous, sudden Bloom not for anyone, but because he can. He says Good Morning to Mr. Magpie only to see a thief tremble at his power. He shuffles Little By Little through careless romances with the subjects of his choosing, he watches the wounded, starving animals go Feral as he holds back the antidote. He is cruel, uncaring, and he does not want to change.

The King of Limbs is wounded and awed by beauty. He can gain only a limited near-mechanical joy from the marvelous and fragile opening of the Lotus Flower. He hears only part of the endlessly complex unwinding of the Codex in the night sky. He hears the whispers of his sons and daughters as the Give Up the Ghost, and although he almost feels a connection with them as he himself withers, he does nothing. The King of Limbs sees the vast realm of the regret for what he has not done in the past and what he will not do in the future, this sight a Separator between himself and world surrounding him, strangling the emotions hidden in his great body before they rise to the surface through his actions.

Radiohead's albums usually bring us to worlds we can never imagine ourselves.

They have finally released an album that brings us closer to a band so much larger than life that we thought we could never really know them.

It is not a question of 'good music.' It's simply the question, do you like Radiohead?

sonicExplorer
February 21st 2011

(Disclaimer: Before I begin, please forgive me for being a too-passionate Radiohead fan. I wrote this album for other Radiohead fans, so that they may have another perspective on the new album regardless of whether or not they like the album.)

Knott-

JESUSCHRISTPLEASEMAKEITSTOP

Fugue
February 21st 2011

I've actually given up on reading these. I. Just. Can't. Take it any more.

So Adam where's your review?

February 21st 2011

first paragraph drags and doesn't work too well as an introduction

February 21st 2011

the rest of this review is awkward, too out-there

are you the bard of The King's forest?

also, TOO MANY FUCKING REVIEWS TODAY

needs moar radiohead

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

psykonaut
February 21st 2011

yeah i can't take it anymore
let this album dieeeeeeee

iFghtffyrdmns
February 21st 2011

wait this album came out?

February 21st 2011

no. what are you talking about? you're seeing things man

February 21st 2011

I can't wait to see the pitchfork review

bet it's gonna be over 7

vanderb0b
February 21st 2011

Was wondering when someone would get around to writing a 5 review.

CelestialDust
February 21st 2011

my head is seriously gonna explode from trying to keep up with all the radiohead discussions, but, i know, i'll add another tkol review to the my discussions tab!

February 21st 2011

Was wondering when someone would get around to writing a 5 review.

me too, but I didn't expect poetic ramblings to testify the classicality

Knott-
February 21st 2011

So Adam where's your review?

so tempted to review the reaction to this

I like the review

I really do

rjmunthe

it's a good review

but it does not justify it's 5.0 rating

so it's a fail

fr33convict
February 21st 2011

oh hey this needed another review thanks

Aids
February 21st 2011

thank God someone finally reviewed this

botb

loooooooooooooool.
its been out how many days and it already has 5 ratings?

UnnamedOcean
February 21st 2011

Hey have you guys heard of that band called Radiohead? They are pretty cool and obscure. I don't think many people know about them.