Jimmy Eat World
Invented

by Adam Knott EMERITUS
September 23rd, 2010 | 65 replies

Review Summary: A scrapbook.

Just as Jim Adkins imagined the life behind photographs of strangers to conjure the hearts and souls behind Invented's narrators, it helps to turn these songs, for a short moment, into reflections of the band he so confidently conducts. For instance: where Bleed American and Chase This Light exploded into life straight out of the traps with crunching riffs and anthemic shouts, Invented opens with musical striptease 'Heart Is Hard To Find,' which builds without ever climaxing and eases the album into flow with an admirable swagger. Quite why this comes as a surprise is anybody's guess, but I'll say this: Invented doesn't give itself up easy. Several of its songs are Futures-standard infectious, but it takes more than a few listens to appreciate what a remoulded Jimmy Eat World has to offer, if only to discard prior misconceptions.

And Invented certainly is that remoulded band; many will argue that it's simply a continuation of their trend towards pop, but to do so would be to ignore the return of Bleed American producer Mark Trombino, the group's recent celebration of Clarity (also Trombino-produced) and the obvious and recorded effects that these backwards glances have on Jimmy Eat World's newer material. Like, remember how 'Gotta Be Somebody's Blues' was the most drawn-out and arguably different song on Chase This Light, but how it was definitely still a song which belonged to Chase This Light by way of its linear tempo and absence of momentum shifts? Invented is far less predictable in its approach, but not in an obnoxious manner - just in how the solo of 'Littlething' actually slows the grandiose soundscape down two notches, or in how 'Action Needs An Audience's vocals are contributed by guitarist Tom Linton.

But none of these things are jarring or seem like change for change's sake; despite a peculiar track listing, Invented sits together as a fantastically cohesive unit of music. It manages to carve its own feel out of old Jimmy Eat World textures, and so instead of your new aesthetic you have something far less announced; moody tracks like 'Stop' and 'Cut' sit alongside stomping numbers like lead single 'My Best Theory' (incidentally the worst song here, but still engaging) and 'Actions Needs An Audience', and the album is closed by two lengthy slow-burners which grow and die effortlessly. All this is produced immaculately so that the downtempo balladry of the title track feels like the brother of the almost-dancy 'Higher Devotion' despite the two songs having almost nothing in common. Except, that is, for Adkins' immediately welcoming tone.

In fact, that's the word; Invented is such a welcoming album that the brief emergence of lead female vocals on the breathtaking 'Coffee And Cigarettes' doesn't raise an eyebrow even first time around; it's par for the course. And because it's so welcoming, it's also deceptive; deceptively different, deceptively catchy, deceptively excellent. It was so easy to throw away 'My Best Theory' and assert that the band had lost their flair for good, but the truth is that Jimmy Eat World have grown up, and I don't mean to imply that they've sold out or undergone some radical reform; no, like actually growing up, Invented is the first Jimmy Eat World album since Clarity which frequently defers the instant high for a much more subtle impression, and like actually growing up, they haven't changed at all on the inside except for a small cut-and-paste job. They still marry emotion and melody like no other band; they still know how to rock, how to whisper, how to celebrate and how to worry. This is just Jimmy Eat World proving they can do them all in one place, and asking you to invest enough to join in.

Mumford and Sons BabelAbel (NY) Make It Right
The Gaslight Anthem HandwrittenMotion City Soundtrack Go
Sigur Ros ValtariSilversun Pickups Neck of the Woods
Mike Stagno EMERITUS (3.5)
Jimmy Eat World rein themselves in, but they're still a lot of fun....

SowingSeason STAFF (3.5)
Almost nothing about Invented is immediately rewarding, but with patience you will find that the alb...

fuck it

i feel like i didnt even write anything but hopefully i did

Plutonio
September 23rd 2010

So do you like this even a little bit?

maybe

September 23rd 2010

ha - i had the same feeling when i wrote my review - like it didn't say much

but i agree with all your main points, although im obviously not quite as high on this album as you are

Digging: Low Roar - 0

bailar14

me encanta

September 23rd 2010

disco, crítica, o los dos? :p

bailar14
September 23rd 2010

dos. me gusta lo largo tambien.

NOTHINNNNNG MOVIE LIKE, NOTHING MAGIC, PEOPLE JUST TIRED OF FIGHTS

arrgh this album

Ire

awesome

i love clarity so i'll go with this

September 23rd 2010

Don't expect Clarity v2 but hopefully I'm right about the actually important parts of this record and Clarity being very close.

Mordecai.
September 23rd 2010

great review dude. really can't wait to hear this. it will be my baby for the next 5 weeks.

DaveyBoy

20858 Comments

Very well written review Adam. I won't say that it has totally convinced me, yet it is convincing (if that makes sense).

Most importantly, are there any "Woh woh woh woh woh's"?

Lucid
September 23rd 2010

Haven't loved anything post-Clarity but I might stream this.

September 23rd 2010

Haha, they are more understated, but there are a couple, Davey.

BigHans
September 23rd 2010

great review as always but I was dissapointed in this when I heard it. 3.5 is fanboy rating.

IamInExile

Great album this

wy2sl0
September 23rd 2010

It isn't really identical to anything - but to be honest anything is a step in the right direction returning to old form rather than Chase This Light. I am a huge JEW fan, but I think 4.5 is a tad high - 3.5 (where Futures is a 4.5).

September 23rd 2010

Yeah, album was between 4 and 4.5, but I chose 4.5 because I can only see this growing closer.

kovacs
September 24th 2010

Definitely needs time to sink in, I've gone from thinking it's quite nice but nothing special to loving it almost as much as Futures, after listening to it on repeat all day.

September 24th 2010

Yeah I can hardly put it down at the moment. Stunning record.