Jefferson Airplane
Crown of Creation

by ImTheFloor USER (4 Reviews)
October 7th, 2005 | 15 replies | 4,741 views

Release Date: 1968 | Tracklist

What can one say about Jefferson Airplane? They're one of the famous San Francisco hippie bands, if you didn't know and what a fantastic one they are. They're most known for their hits Somebody to Love and White Rabbit, but sadly there's much more to them that is over-looked. Case in point, Crown of Creation. The album kicks off with Lather, a song written and sung by Grace about Spencer Dryden and growing old. In the middle and end, the band had their buddy Gary Blackman waltz in to solo on his nose which is cooler than cool. Then, In Time a love song by Paul Kantner with nice harmonies by Grace and Marty.

Triad, a song sung by Grace and written by David Crosby is about menage a trois. I don't want to picture David Crosby getting into that either. It's a very intimate song, and Grace sounds almost like she is ready to cry. The lyrics are nice (sans the images) and Jorma's guitar work is very pretty.

Star Track, written by Jorma Kaukonen, has awesome guitar and lyrics that seem as though Jorma is just calling out to you to change. It's very fast and upbeat, but I prefer his other song on the album, Ice Cream Phoenix, which has nice Grace harmonies.

Share a Little Joke and Chishugranuga (can't spell it) end the first side. Share a Little Joke has a guitar line that's acid-drenched for lack of a better term. I see it in my head as a snake with colors dripping off of it (I know what you're thinking, but don't send any drugs). Chishu--The Japanese Title Song, as I will now call it, is filler by Spencer. Not much to say, I like it but it's only 1:20.

If You Feel kicks off the second half. It's a fun upbeat song, a cool break from the somberness of the rest of the album. The lyrics are simple, just saying, if you want to do something, do it. Crown of Creation up next, is the song I prefer, one of the high points of the album. The lyrics are very philisophical and the music flows over you like an ocean.

Greasy Heart, Grace's call to superficiality is the hardest track on the album. Her vocals are impeccable and listening to it pisses me off that Jorma is not better-known as a guitarist. One of my favorite Jefferson Airplane songs.

Finally we come to The House At Pooneil Corners, the apocalyptic sister track to The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil, off After Bathing At Baxter's. It's very creepy-sounding and starts how Ballad ends. The organ pounds throughout rather than guitar, and the vocals are very echo-y. It's not my favorite song, but still very good and an interesting way to nail the door shut on the album.

I give this album a 4/5 overall, because it is fantastic, but there are some weak points, such as If You Feel.

October 7th 2005

ive never heard of them, where can i hear some of their stuff and who do they sound like?

October 7th 2005

They sound a bit like Big Brother and the Holding Company, more serious and you can hear some of their stuff on their website.

cool, thanks.

good review also

Thanks.

Zebra
October 7th 2005

so-so review, you need more detail for the track by track.

I'm not a JA expert so do you know if this the best JA album??

October 8th 2005

Zebra: This is a great JA album, but for their best, I'd pick Volunteers or After Bathing At Baxter's. If you like the band, though, get it.

Broken Arrow
October 8th 2005

I havent heard this album but I love this band. I think "Bless its Pointed Little Head" is my favourite album of their's.

HardKore
March 28th 2006

Id say Surrealistic Pillow is the best of Airplane, if your into psychadelic music that is.

April 1st 2006

Hmm, really?
I found it to be the poppiest. "Baxter's" is more for the psychedelic folks, in my opinion.

dudeinthepassinglane
May 20th 2007

Got to try this album. I have Pillow and Baxter though, so I think I'll try Vlounteers first, though this is tempting just for the Pooneil sequel.

13themount
February 3rd 2012

strong songs and performances; perhaps not as good as SP and ABAB

March 11th 2013

but still swee

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

Egarran
January 15th 2014

I grew up listening to this and I thought it was scary and brilliant. I still do.

Years later, I could never get into their other records.

"You can fool your friends about the way it ends
But you can't fool yourself
Take your head in hand and make your own demands
Or you'll crystallize on the shelf
The freeway's concrete way won't show
You where to run or how to go
And running fast you'll go down slow in the end"

That's deep, man.

Egarran
January 15th 2014

If you feel like china breaking
Break it
If you feel like laughing
Break china laughing