The Academy Is...

2.0
poor

by J. Ponton EMERITUS
October 25th, 2009 | 17 replies | 6,024 views

Review Summary: The Academy Is... trying to segue listeners with b-side material.

The Academy Is… is a band that could be grouped with the likes of Motion City Soundtrack and pre-New Surrender Anberlin. While these bands have all the makings to be mainstream leaders and could possibly stay on top of the charts, somehow their singles have never been able to take off just right. This especially goes for The Academy Is… back in 2005 when the band released their Almost Here album, an effort that most fans unanimously call their best. However, with 2007 came the somewhat disappointing and experimental Santi, and the following year saw the band deliver the consistent, albeit generic Fast Times at Barrington High; both of which in turn have played a key part in slowly bringing down the band’s momentum and seemingly transitioning The Academy Is… into a hit or miss type of pop punk band.

Last month The Academy Is… released Lost In Pacific Time: The AP/EP, a five-song EP that is currently being sold for their AP Fall Ball Tour and acts as a sort of segue between last year’s record and the band’s next future release. The general sound of the six songs to be found here is nothing too spectacular in truth and all too easily falls into the spectrum of sounds and light-weight emotions of Fast Times at Barrington High. In fact, “I’m Yours Tonight” and “Days Like Masquerade” could have easily been bonus tracks off that album. The latter song is the better of the two as the band offers a sugary sweet “hidden” chorus that pops up from behind of what is first perceived as the song’s initial hook and gives the listener something to join in on the next time around.

“Sputter” features guest vocals from Jack Mannequin’s Andrew McMahon and could be basically called the EP’s ballad track. William Beckett shows his sensitive and smooth side here with the chorus hook of, “I knew that we would sputter out, we would sputter.” To be honest, this kind of sounds like an illusion to sexual subjects, but the song actually turns out to be pretty catchy and memorable. The rest of the EP unfortunately carries on in a forgettable way and continues with that b-side agenda that the first two songs displayed.

This type of catchy yet passive mediocrity is the main drawback for this EP and was as well for the majority of Fast Times at Barrington High. While everything is nice and lightweight with the adolescent reminiscing of past times, the songs are just too forgettable and seemingly cut and paste. This is kind of waste given that many of tracks have appealing hooks and choruses and with a beefier production, could have easily made the band break out in a big way. However, listeners can’t really thrive on lackluster sugar alone and need more substance for their listening diets. Let us hope that The Academy Is… decides to bulk up a little bit for their next album and by doing so, hopefully they will deliver a much more meatier product.

There Will Be Fireworks The Dark, Dark BrightBring Me the Horizon Sempiternal
As I Lay Dying AwakenedTim Hecker Harmony in Ultraviolet
Thousand Foot Krutch The End Is Where We BeginOwen I Do Perceive
3.2
good

No response, eh?

Oh well. Almost Here was a pretty good album back in the day.

October 25th 2009

I find it interesting that you, allegedly on "a break" are still reviewing more albums than me ;).

Good work once again, just fix that coding error in the first paragraph.

ToWhatEnd
October 25th 2009

Have not listened to this and probably won't even though I'm going to the Fall Ball. Good review overall, these EPs are always odd to tackle but you did a solid job.

October 25th 2009

Good point styles. Though admittedly I do review way less than I used to ;)

October 25th 2009

well yeah, you have switched it up from 1 a day to about 2 a week. 2 a week is a nice tempo also. I myself haven't even got a schedule or anything, i just review when i feel like it haha.

October 25th 2009

I just think it is fun, so that's probably why I have a problem not doing it.

Reviewing has helped so much with preparation for college papers!

October 25th 2009

oh yeah that it does, reviewing helps to improve writng in general and vice versa.

cvlts
October 25th 2009

well gregory, great review yet again. short simple to the point for a short simple cd...

the academy is... were prty much over 2 years ago lol

Thanks man.

Sadly it does seem that way.

Ulsufyring
October 25th 2009

your summary would be a lot catchier as

"The Academy Is... trying to segue listeners with b-side material."

October 25th 2009

Haha yeah I guess so. Might as well change that, thanks.

cvlts
October 25th 2009

(kindof) grammatically incorrect, but humorously entertaining... its your choice.

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

This is why I'm glad you didn't disappear Gregory; So you can review the stuff I think about reviewing & pass up. Haha. Just kidding mate. It's good to see you're still around.

Good review. I've seen this get mediocre reveiws everywhere. I'll probably just listen to it before the new LP comes out.

ericksonnat
November 3rd 2009

Nice work. You wrote exactly what I was going to: there is nothing to it! All of the songs build and build but nothing comes out of it! The only noteworthy song on the album is: "In the Rearview."

Acanthus
September 12th 2010

"This type of catchy yet passive mediocrity..."

Agreed, I still enjoy some songs and the catchiness is indeed there, yet all mediocre in the end.

Digging: Die Sektor - Applied Structure In A Void

Acanthus
September 12th 2010

"This type of catchy yet passive mediocrity..."

DaveyBoy
April 26th 2012

20855 Comments

Following their much-derided, teen-baiting 3rd LP 'Fast Times At Barrington High', The Academy Is... attempt to get back on the track to maturity with 5 track EP 'Lost In Pacific Time'. With a sound most resembling 2nd LP 'Santi', the Chicago quintet show little progression & keep it simple here. It results in a few catchy melodies & more of William Beckett's impressively smooth vocals, but otherwise this EP is rather nondescript. You can't help but feel a power struggle between the pop & rock elements of the band, meaning it came as no surprise that they broke up shortly afterwards. Recommended Tracks: I'm Yours Tonight & In the Rearview.