The Fall of Troy

2.0
poor

by Ryan Flatley EMERITUS
October 6th, 2009 | 303 replies | 49,319 views

Review Summary: In The Unlikely Event proves to be an underwhelming, grave disappointment.

The Fall Of Troy are lost. In The Unlikely Event is the grandest combination of illogical passages and musical unrest. Dating back to their self-titled era, they have always been an extremely technical post-hardcore/progressive band, and in the past, it has worked to their advantage. But now we find The Fall Of Troy hobbling, clawing to the surface for any source of originality within their style, and when they do perk a listener’s attention, they find another way to ruin it. The epic songwriting in Ghostship Demos/Phantom Of The Horizon is lost, while the quality Doppelganger era riffs are recycled. In short, they are stuck in their own musical purgatory.

“Panic Attack” begins rather effectively, poppy hooks without much self-proclaimed wankery and reasonably controlled vocal ranges. Definitely enjoyable from a single standpoint, but it repeats to no end. Does ‘here we go again’ ring a bell to listeners? At any rate, the album demolishes its own reputation with the worst song since “We Better Learn To Hotwire A Uterus,” in “Straight-Jacket Keelhauled.” Combined with adolescent growls and uneasy songwriting; it eventually recovers musically, but then falls flat with a song-ending Guitar Hero solo. This pattern continues with squealing guitar licks, shoddy vocals, and cognitively undemanding lyrics (“Nature Vs. Nurture” and the ‘spoken word’-esque passage among other tracks). Meanwhile, they may not even know what they are doing certain times within In The Unlikely Event. Take “People and Their Lives,” a track primarily low key and relaxing, which continues as if it accomplished something during the first three minutes and change. It continues into this alternate tangential universe of guitar shredding awkwardness (was the segment between 4:52-5:20 really necessary?).

Yes, at the end of the day In The Unlikely Event is another slip in The Fall Of Troy’s descent, but it is listenable and slightly bearable. Some riffs are genuinely interesting, but within the context of the entire picture they fail to make much cohesion with prior segues. Between reused ideas and their inability to improve in any other category makes this album is nothing short of a disappointment. It lacks any defining emotion or identity while trying to be poppy for the sake of being poppy and being technical for the fact of technicality. At this point in their career, The Fall Of Troy need a serious reevaluation of their glaring digression.

Glassjaw Coloring BookNo Age Everything In Between
United Nations Nevermind the Bombings, Here's Your Six FiguresFar At Night We Live
Nas & Damian Marley Distant RelativesLCD Soundsystem This Is Happening
2.6
Joe Schmoh (3)
where the fuck is Vomiting Winter?...

Joel Barish (1.5)
I ASKED FOR A MASTERPIECE AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GAVE ME??...

Comatorium. (3.5)
Not as bad as people make it out to be, the genre is called progressive for a reason, people....

David Driver (2)
An awkward mix of pop and post-hardcore that boasts plenty of style but carries no substance....

Tits McGee
October 6th 2009

It's an unlikely event i'll check this out

god i hate myself. good review, ryan

IsItLuck?
October 6th 2009

don't worry, I made it worse in the recommendations

Tits McGee

lol, I didn't see that

shortz
October 6th 2009

Good review. This album didn't blow me away, yet it didn't bore me either. Just a meh and probably will be forgotten in the next week.

Tyler
October 6th 2009

Rody sounds awesome on Dirty Pillow Talk, which is the only song I've heard off of this. Sadly the song itself is atrocious. It's like a much, much shittier of ETID's Ebolarama only with what sounds like a broken guitar.

Curse.
October 6th 2009

album is pretty bad, review is pretty good

Waior
October 6th 2009

Agreed entirely. Enjoyed the recommendations, for what it's worth.

cirq
October 6th 2009

I honestly haven't been able to listen to this all the way, straight through

Nifkin
October 6th 2009

WTF is FoT on to release this PoS?!

StreetlightRock
October 6th 2009

Can't really comment on this album because everytime I try to listen to it in its entirety I end up switching to something more exciting. Think that says something tho.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

WoodLawn
October 7th 2009

Pretty much agree. Album's stagnant.

jrowa001
October 7th 2009

dont care if im the only one who likes this.

Zip
October 7th 2009

I got that free song but it wasn't too good. Thought these guys were metal or something.

Xenophanes
October 7th 2009

wished for a return to the Phantom on the Horizon-esque Fall of Troy....oh well, maybe next time. After all, haunted spanish galleons are much more interesting than Thomas Erak's panic attacks.

IdiotTech
October 7th 2009

i agree with this review pretty much, but to a much lesser degree. will probably earn a 3-3.5 from me.

oh and wed better learn to hotwire a uterus is an awesome song. am i the only one who thinks this?

yeah this album sucks

Iluvatar
October 7th 2009

this is too derivative of new converge to be good

Undead
October 7th 2009

kudos for your first sentence.

it was a good hook that led me into reading a fantastic review of an album i suspected would suck from the start.

henryChinaski
October 7th 2009

i love the new record. i like how they progressed, but i'm curious why so many people don't like it is it the fact that they're not as 'heavy' as on their previous efforts?

Digging: The Tidal Sleep - Vorstellungskraft

MaskAtTheMasquerade
October 7th 2009

is that Erak singing the part of Dirty Pillow Talk that goes something like...
SLOW DOWN, YOU'RE GONNA HURT YOURSELF CHILD
WOULD THINGS SHATTER LIKE BROKEN GLASS
NAMES DONT MATTER NOT IMPORTANT
YOU DONT MATTER TO ME SO WALK AWAY
YOU'RE NOT ANYBODY ANYWAYS

sounds different then usual. anyways, i respect the review, and the album is nothing compared to doppelganger, but i still dig
most of the songs. hopefully the next will be bettuh