Omar S
Fabric 45: Omar S - Detroit

good

by Daniel Incognito EMERITUS
March 29th, 2009 | 8 replies

Review Summary: Very introspective, the 45th release in the Fabric series captures the raw essence of Omar S, reflecting his Detroit background through a style that strikes with full force.

Some people may find it interesting what production techniques lie behind an album. Yet while Omar S has gone completely analogue with Fabric 45, more interesting than his lo-fi approach though is the sound it creates. The Fabric series has seen many solid albums in its time, including some stunners like Ricardo Villalobos’ (Fabric 36) and Michael Mayer’s (Fabric 13). Yet while the music of his contemporaries deserves recognition, Omar S draws all his content for Fabric 45 from his own past work. Content with his methods, Omar S produces some very raw house that pounces on the listener and lands each punch with full force. It doesn’t make for the smoothest ride, but where he strikes gold with his beats you’ll be drawn back in time and time again.

Drawing from his past albums, Fabric 45 takes much of his best work and puts a new spin on it, though not trying to redo what made each song intoxicating. Strider’s World builds up about a minute in with a mammoth bass line as the rest of the song bounces about luring the listener in with an underlying confidence. Yet the desire of the album to look inwardly causes it fall flat for those familiar with Omar S. Strider’s World and much of the rest of the album don’t do enough differently to make Omar’s Fabric album interesting to his fans. The Maker still features an insatiable groove, though the accompaniment to the smooth vocals has more force. But compare it with the original, and you’ll be hard put to differentiate the two enough to pick a favourite.

While the mix has its shortcomings, Omar S still has a wealth of talent; and it is very clearly on display in the album. While the European house scene has its own fountain of talent, Omar S takes on house with an approach that is very much American, very much from Detroit. Comparisons to J Dilla certainly have weight, with incredible talent and a ferociously raw sound it certainly does distance him from the sounds coming out across the Atlantic. In songs like Psychotic Photosynthesis all his talent pays off, the intricate patterns coming out through on-the-spot creativity rather than being calculated and constructed through computer programs. Yet while composed in very little time, the evolvement of each layer throughout the song is captivating.

For those with little time on their hands, Fabric 45 showcases a nice overview of the work and talent of Omar S. Yet for anybody familiar with him, it comes off more as a greatest hits collection than a rejuvenation of his back catalogue. It is an album packed with talent and beats that carry some significant weight. But if his raw analogue style proves to be your thing, you’ll probably head on to his superb 2005 effort Just Ask the Lonely fairly quickly and not look back.

Daft Punk Random Access MemoriesOmar S Just Ask the Lonely
Maceo Plex Life IndexPaul Kalkbrenner Icke Wieder
Gold Panda Lucky ShinerFlying Lotus L.A. EP 3 X 3
3.3

How minimal is this?

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

March 29th 2009

I wouldn't call it minimal, a whole world apart from someone like Terre Thaemlitz or the stuff coming out of Europe. I don't know whether you've heard of J Dilla, but the description of Omar S as a house version of J Dilla is pretty apt.

March 29th 2009

Ah cool, I know Dilla. I just saw this described somewhere as minimal Detroit techno and I got a bit apprehensive.

March 29th 2009

Well if you check him out, I recommend you go straight to Just Ask the Lonely, which has one significant advantage over this in that the title track (which doesn't feature on this album) is awesome.

March 29th 2009

I do believe this is what I shall do.

Listening to Mayer's mix now, it absolutely kicks the living daylights outta Villalobos' effort.

March 29th 2009

I'm quite a big fan of Villalobos, though I will admit his Fabric album doesn't stand up to his more recent stuff (Enfants and Vasco were both incredible minimal releases during 2008). But yeah Mayer's mix is superb. This Message Edited On 03.29.09

kingsoby1
March 29th 2009

sounds really interesting, will definitely check out.

< 3 detroit hiphop

This Message Edited On 03.29.09

April 29th 2009

why is this album art very similar to massive attack's collected?

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor