The Offspring
Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

by Robby Roark (The Sludge) USER (26 Reviews)
June 11th, 2008 | 56 replies | 147,503 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Offspring made their most diverse album to date, without losing their traditional sound.

I am just going to put it out there, I've been obsessed with The Offspring since the days of Smash when Come Out And Play was all over the radio. Yes, I was 8 years old. I would go as far in saying that Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana are in my top 10 albums of all time. But being in the age of maturity where the mold of my musical taste thickens, The Offspring has been mysteriously absent. The previous long awaited album, Splinter, was a disappointment due to the lack of substance to hang on to. Now it's been 5 years since that and The Offspring has a lot to prove to a lot of fans.

Well Bob Rock is the producer of Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, which brought on high hopes because he's known to make great pop records, but then again St. Anger. Well Rise and Fall is a finely produced album. It features 12 full tracks clocking in at nearly 44 minutes with nearly no filler from The Offspring’s signature pop influenced songs. Rise and Fall is a mix of classic Offspring tracks, sentimental ballads and just flat out good rock songs.

The first four songs are entirely mosh worthy and are the strongest songs on the album. Half-Truism, Trust in You, and Hammerhead were entirely influenced by classic albums like Smash and Ixnay On The Hombre while You're Gonna Go Far, Kid is a thrashing song with reminiscence of a My Chemical Romance song, though it's fitting for the album. Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Ok? are songs styles that The Offspring hasn't crossed into before, the ballad. Something always told me that The Offspring could pull it off and I was right. Kristy, Are You Doing Ok deals with the theme of sexual molestation based on a true story. While Fix You is about a broken relationship that Dexter wants to work out. Both songs are pulled off well without coming off as a bunch of late 30-somethings writing for kids and they add depth to Rise and Fall that haven't been heard in any previous Offspring album.

The instrumentals are executed in your traditional Offspring way. Noodles still grinds power chords up and down the frets of a guitar though at times in songs Stuff is Messed Up and Lets Hear It For Rock Bottom, the tone can irritate the ears. Josh Freese stepped in again as the drummer since Atom Willard left due to previous commitments and does a fine job. Though Greg K doesn't have his bass breakdowns, he does an eloquent job keeping the rhythm of the tracks. Lyrically, The Offspring has taken a backstreet as in recent albums and this is a mixed bag. At times it seems Dexter wants to sound deep but tries too hard and in other songs like Stuff is Messed Up, he goes off in rants about today’s media which doesn't work very well. Lastly, Dexter does what he does best which is being Dexter. Dexter’s vocals are very much the same as in any album though songs like A Lot Like Me and Fix You for the most part sounds good as he sings in a clean style.

The Offspring have done it. They made their most diverse album to date while still keeping the traditional sound that fans will enjoy. From the best single choice since The Kids Aren't Alright (Hammerhead) to the rare sentimental ballads. It's hard to stack this up to any of the previous catalog due to the album having its own identity. Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace is flawed yet it doesn't get in the way of a great listen. Let’s just hope it doesn't take another 5 years before we hear new material again.

The Sludge's: Thumb Ups
Half-Truism
Kristy, Are You Doing Ok?
Hammerhead

Bon Jovi 100 Million Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be WrongNew Found Glory From the Screen to Your Stereo Part II
Ride NowhereAkon Konvicted
Andrew W.K. The WolfHollywood Rose The Roots of Guns N' Roses
good

renegadestrings
June 11th 2008

sigh of relief. good review, i'll be buying this. killer summer band

Oddsen
June 11th 2008

is this even out anywhere yet?

Electric City

it's streaming

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

June 11th 2008

Sludge? Where the fuck have you been? Good review, i'll go search for this now.

Attention Whore
June 11th 2008

I haven't listened to The Offspring since, um, Ixnay. Should I even bother listening?

rid
June 12th 2008

Overall good album. Good review as well.

yozzh
June 12th 2008

this is the best the offspring album since smash, its worth to buy it

Cesar
June 12th 2008

I loved this album, and I didn't enjoy Offspring really that much before.

CushMG15
June 12th 2008

I'm ever so glad that this didn't suck. I'm waiting for it to sink in a bit before I rate it, but it's probably around a 3.5, maybe a 3. Good Review, dude.

Rawrz
June 12th 2008

Great review and I must agree. Only song ive heard on this album that I thought was weak was Nothingtown and even then i didnt find it bad. Im glad to see that finally someone else is liking Kristy and Fix You. I do have to disareee on your Stuff Is Messed Up though since I thought it worked fine and thats one of my favorite tracks on this album. Its nice to see The Offspring back in prime form.

Electric City
June 12th 2008

the single's vocals irk me to no end, especially when he quotes the bibleThis Message Edited On 06.12.08

SHOOTME
June 12th 2008

Album is brilliant, and the review is even better.

DaveBum69
June 13th 2008

ever since I heard hammerhead I just can't get over how much this album doesn't suck

Jim
June 13th 2008

i heard about five tracks from this on the radio today. i must say one of them sounded a little too close to something simple plan would vomit out.
still, a damn sight better than their last couple albums

The Sludge
June 13th 2008

Oh my dear Lord. One day and with nearly 20,000 views. Thanks for the kudos people.

Edit: Somehow it's on the wiki album page. :D :D :DThis Message Edited On 06.13.08

Oddsen
June 13th 2008

This album is good but I don't think its anything really special. Its defenitely better than their last two releases though. I'm going to end up putting out a review for this so I wont go into detail on exactly what i think of it

StrizzMatik
June 13th 2008

This album isn't all that great tbqfh. It's slightly better than Splinter or
Conspiracy Of One but far, far below Smash, Ixnay, or Americana.
The first four tracks are solid but the rest sounds like Offspring trying to be Green
Day and it's blatantly obvious, especially the last track which sounds just like
"American Idiot". And "Stuff Is Messed Up" sounds, lyrically, like one of Weezer's
post-2001 songs.This Message Edited On 06.13.08

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Lexluthor
June 13th 2008

Ignition > Smash > Americana > Ixnay > Rise and Fall > Conspiracy > Violent and Horrible Death > Splinter

(I never really listened to the first album all that much). This Message Edited On 06.13.08

June 13th 2008

this isn't supposed to be on the wiki page

SHOOTME