Spoon
Kill The Moonlight

by Keelan H. EMERITUS
February 1st, 2008 | 27 replies | 12,332 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A brilliant, concise and infectious album from one of the most consistent groups around.

About a year ago my friend lent me a bunch of good music for my listening pleasure. One of the bands he introduced me to was Spoon, with their album Gimme Fiction. Unlike some of the other bands (such as Neutral Milk Hotel, Electric President) I found Spoon were very easy to get into. While I now appreciate the other stuff given to me (such as the aforementioned artists), I will always remember Spoon as being the easiest to just pick up and get into right away. That is the best way I can describe not only Spoon, but specifically their third album Kill the Moonlight. Throughout the record’s pithy running time, the listener will be subject to some of the catchiest songs that straddle the line between the experimental and accessible.

I am hard pressed to find a particularly sour track on Kill the Moonlight. The beat box backing on “Stay Don’t Go” can grow a bit tiresome and annoying, and thus steps out as my least favourite song. However when this song is sandwiched between three great songs prior to it, and my favourite song following it, there is simply no room for complaints. That song, which follows “Stay Don’t Go”, is “Jonathon Fisk” and serves as an excellent piece of pure rock n’ roll. With lyrics such as, “Jonathon Fisk/ Speaks with his fist,” it is also the most lyrically aggressive song on the album and the music accents this sentiment perfectly. “Someone Something” and “All the Pretty Girls Go to the City” also vie for the title of my favourite track, each being very catchy piano driven pop songs. These songs all showcase Spoon’s perspicacious ability to right memorable, accessible pop songs. However the most interesting part of Spoon is how they can keep this sense of accessibility as they move into more experimental territory.

The most notable experimentation on the album is “Paper Tiger.” Sandwiched in the middle of the album, this sparsely arranged piece is odd, but infectious at the same time. The vocal melodies are memorable as they guide the song over the programmed drum flitters, the knocking drumsticks keeping time, and the somewhat distant sounding keyboard. Album opener “Small Takes” also takes this sparse arrangement approach with it’s repeating keyboard lines, met only with a tambourine and finally, a ‘falling rocks’ drum part that closes out the song. These songs are just different enough in their execution and tone to perk interest in the listener, but not nearly experimental enough to be distracting.

Fans of Spoon’s most recently release, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, will probably draw parallels between both respective albums closer’s. “Vittorio E.” is similar in style and presentation to “Black Like Me.” Both being ballad-like, and both starting with acoustic guitars (though in truth the latter is also joined by shakers) and are then joined by the piano, and eventually by the rest of the band by the end. Both are excellent songs, and “Vittorio E.” closes out Kill the Moonlight in beautiful fashion. The only thing the listener wishes, is that the whole experience lasted just a little bit longer, and that is a good thing.

Kill the Moonlight certainly isn’t the most groundbreaking record, but then again one has to ask themselves “so what?” Spoon know what they are about, and work towards honing their sound, while throwing in some splashes of experimentalism for good measure. These splashes are more refreshing then distracting, and what Spoon do, they do well. It’s hard to find a more consistently catchy album then this one. Kill the Moonlight is one of Spoon’s best, which is very much a compliment. This is a highly recommended record to anyone, I have never come across someone who doesn’t like Spoon, and it doesn’t matter what kind of music they’re in to.

Sufjan Stevens Silver & GoldAndrew Bird Break It Yourself
Florence and the Machine CeremonialsBlitzen Trapper American Goldwing
The Muppets The Green AlbumThe Horrors Skying

Two-Headed Boy
February 1st 2008

I can't really get into Spoon, but they're alright once in a while.

foreverendeared
February 1st 2008

really great review

can't wait to hear this. spoon is a cool band

Zmev
February 2nd 2008

Vittorio E and Jonathon Fisk are cool, but this is only better than alright.

AtavanHalen
February 2nd 2008

Saw these guys at the Big Day Out, they were cool, man.

thecity

good review!
and good album too

thecity

good review!
and good album too

Anthracks
February 17th 2009

my least favorite from them

Digging: Tobacco - Ultima II Massage

thebhoy
March 12th 2009

I find myself to enjoy this a little more then Gimme Fiction, but a little less then Ga^5. I just love this band though.

Kashmir09
January 12th 2010

I don't get this site's beef with Spoon. They drool over horseshit and then an amazing band like Spoon is overlooked for God knows why

January 12th 2010

January 13th 2010

oh i should get this, spoon's recommended to me on last.fm with similar bands: flaming lips, the national. yum

January 13th 2010

get girls can tell or ga ga ga ga ga first

January 13th 2010

what really? I figured I'd go for this since it's their first release but w/e

Electric City
January 13th 2010

ga ga ga ga ga ooh la la

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins [AMDISCS]

January 13th 2010

this isn't their first release it's their fourth, and it's really good, i just like the two i mentioned a bit more and think they're better for beginners

oh I see. I might check those out then first
I figured this was their first release but theres just no date for it on sputnik

January 13th 2010

their first two albums aren't too good imo, girls can tell is where they really defined their sound. kill the moonlight is more minimalist and then gimme fiction and ga ga ga ga ga kind of go in different directions from there

Ponton
May 9th 2010

This is fantastic

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

bab808
April 11th 2011

why is this so massively underrated on this site?

Ponton
April 11th 2011

not sure. I love just about every Spoon album except their latest

could be a future 5.