Sara Bareilles
Little Voice

by FriendofTheDevil70 USER (14 Reviews)
December 29th, 2007 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A tremendous slab of piano driven music, sporting many infleunces that always sound fresh. My pick for pop album of the year.

There is no question about it, Sara Bareilles and her fourth release “Little Voice” slipped under the pop radar of 2007. I’m really baffled as to why this is so, you would think that the music community would embrace a female pop musician that was not obsessed with their image, with open arms. Despite the obvious comparisons with Norah Jones, Sara Bareilles finds her own sound with this release. And it is such a good sound for pop music that you may think that you have heard it before.

You may recognize Sara Bareilles from the recent Rhapsody commercial in which she is playing her single “Love Song” in the living room of a young man’s house. However, if you were to only judge Sara Bareilles on this one commercial, you would be making a big mistake thinking that this album is like every other pop album released in the past five years. The truth is that this album is quite varied, but just varied enough to still be considered a pop album. The swinging upright bass playing in the cut “Vegas”, and the quick, forceful acoustic guitar in “One Sweet Love”, show folk and jazz influences respectively. Actually, “Vegas” is the track that most people would associate with Norah Jones, but after listening to the song, you will agree with that the track is still distinctively Sara Bareilles. “One Sweet Love” has surprisingly well written lyrics, the start of the song hears the words “Just about the time the shadows called/I undressed my mind and dared you to follow/Paint a portrait of my mystery”, it may not be Dylan, but it doesn’t have to be. These are well constructed lyrics that actually hold pop similarities, which in the end, make an interesting contrast to many other pop artists who will often write sub par lyrics, in exchange for a catchy hook.

However, make no mistake about it; there are plenty of hooks on this release. The lead single “Love Song” is undoubtedly one of the catchiest songs of the year, from the bouncing piano riff in the beginning, to the abrupt chorus, the vocal melodies stand out all across the board. “Bottle It Up” holds the same catchy similarities, with a somewhat funky vocal groove, and the swinging upright bass and drum rhythms, which all around; make the song quite unique, and a definite highlight.

The rest of the album simply flows together nicely. With tracks such as “Morningside” sporting heaps of attitude, tender piano ballads such as “Between The Lines”, and the impressive soul singing influences on “Come Round Soon”. Perhaps the biggest selling point of the album is that every track offers something different, no two tracks are completely alike. Furthermore, while the lead single is a prominent part of the album, Sara Bareilles does not solely live off it, taking her jazz, folk, and soul experimentations to plenty of other tracks on the album. Without a doubt, this is one of the most varied pop albums of the year.

So, in conclusion, why is this album so likeable? Well, besides the actual music, it’s quite obvious that Sara Bareilles is likeable. She isn’t the huge pop star that no one can identify with. She’s akin to the girl around the corner from you, whom you always knew played music, now trying to make it big, there’s an underdog kind of factor with this release. Without a doubt, she has created what is probably the most varied pop album of the year, show incredible vocal prowess, and written excellent songs. Yes, Sara Bareilles has finally made her mark on the music scene, and “Little Voice” is my personal pick for the pop album of the year in 2007.

Lee Perry and the Upsetters Super ApeJohn Mayer Where the Light Is

AM

El Pintor

To Be Kind

December 29th 2007

I took a little break from reviewing, but I'm ready to start again. I'll try to crank out a few more this coming week. This album is excellent in my view, one of the several pop albums that do not sound tired or throwaway this year. Still, I have a feeling many people are going to bash this, but whatever.

Monticello
December 29th 2007

I like the sound of this. I'll definitely be looking into it.
Good review .

December 29th 2007

^I think you'll enjoy it if you like stuff like Norah Jones, John Mayer's latest album, etc.

Its kind of sad that this didnt make it onto the site best of 2007 list, or any of the individual lists for that matter. I used to be a basher of any kind of modern pop music, but recently I've discovered that if you look past the Britney Spears crap, it really isn't that bad, and some things turn out to be works of art, such as this album.

DWittisarockstar
December 29th 2007

Sara Bareilles is very pretty, but this isn't really my type of album. I might try to listen to it though. Good review.

Iluvatar
December 29th 2007

You gave this way too much credit but its still a nice album.

XulOnerom
December 29th 2007

mmmmmmm I find this interesting. I'm a metalhead but I'm also open minded and can appreciate pop music when it's well done. I might look into this

In response to Iluvatar's comment-

I rated this album based on the pop music realm and all of its capabilities. If you try to compare music like this to Pink Floyd, or Radiohead your going to be very dissapointed especially, if your looking for the "deepness" factor in the music. This album sets out to write great pop songs, and it does it better than any pop album out this year. I can't fault it much at all for how well it does that, because in that regard it is near perfect.

Iluvatar
December 30th 2007

Nah but I mean it still isn't something earthshaking. Its just a very good pop album.

plane
December 30th 2007

Even within the realm of the genre, this isn't that great. It is good though. I stand firmly next to my assertion that Feist made the best pop album of the year so I mean yeah.

December 30th 2007

I suppose I should have added in the few negative points that the album had. I'm also leaning more towards a 4 instead of a 4.5 now, but still, IMO pop album of the year.

timbo8
December 30th 2007

"Love Song" is good, this review is good, maybe I'll listen to this.

ninjuice
January 10th 2008

"Love Song" and "Between the Lines" are real good, but the rest is meh. Good review though

Akira
January 21st 2008

I heard Love Song on TV a few minutes ago, and I really like it. I need to pick it up. I had no idea she had so much music out.

CushMG15
January 28th 2008

I really enjoy this cd. One or Two duds, but for the most part it's pretty solid through and through.

March 4th 2008

Downgraded by rating to a 4, but am still liking this. I admit I went a tad overboard with the review praising, but I still feel this was a top pop album from last year. Thanks for all the comments.

Eliminator

2067 Comments

doesn't she have those songs in that commercial

DWittisarockstar

Yep

radianteclipse
May 6th 2008

Between the Lines, possibly the best pop song released in all of 2007.

rockfan123
May 6th 2008

^ The Max disagrees.

ninjuice
October 22nd 2008

After deciding to try this out I finally found it in a store. Pretty freaking good, I'm looking at a 4 right now. Shame more people (on this site and otherwise) don't know about her.
I might review this when I have time but I'm pretty sure my review would look a lot like this.