Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold

by The_RabidMonkey USER (5 Reviews)
October 24th, 2007 | 77 replies | 34,792 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Avenged Sevenfold's self titled release contains a plethora of musical styles with an A7X twist, resulting in a refreshingly different hard rock album.

First off, yes, I do realize I gave this album a rating of 4. I am sure that while some of you read this, you are shaking your head thinking, Wow, this album sucked. To be honest, on my first listen, I felt the same way. After listening a few more times, I can honestly say I am quite satisfied with the new Avenged Sevenfold release. So before clicking the “back” button and never thinking of this album again, let me explain why I rated this album higher than I rated the new Dethklok album (!).

As I play guitar myself, the guitar work of a band is very important. Oddly enough, it is here that I was originally disappointed with the album. Unlike City of Evil, A7X’s new self-titled album features guitar solos in only a handful of the tracks. However, shredding still pulls through on this album (give “Afterlife” a listen). The riffs lack frantic sixteenth notes, instead favoring a more “hard rock” driving feel to them. Don’t worry; you can still headbang to the riffs just fine. In addition, the riffs have a definite groove to them, and are pleasing to the ear.

Singing remains the prominent style on the album, as it was on CoE. Screams are present, but act as a transition between sections, rather than a vocal scheme. Avenged’s drummer, the Rev, lends his voice to some tracks. His voice fits well into the mix, and adds variety to the tracks he sings (or screams) in. Female vocals are also work their way onto a few tracks. On these occasions, the voice is pleasant and melodic, and further stretches the range of vocals on the album.

The bass is pronounced in some songs, quiet in others. No solos or anything that really stands out. Drums retain the style of A7X’s previous albums, with the exception of a cool African-sounding intro to “Brompton Cocktail”.

What is so good about this album then? Well, as you may have guessed, if you were expecting another Avenged album, you will be mistaken, and possibly disappointed. “Critical Acclaim”, “Almost Easy” and “Afterlife” are the most similar to older songs, but even they are very different. So instead of comparing it to what you liked about previous Avenged Sevenfold albums, allow it to stand alone.

Avenged Sevenfold contains 10 tracks, each with wildly different styles. To generalize, I consider this album, as I have said before, more of a “hard rock” album, instead of a metal album. In this way, songs are fun to listen to, and the variety of styles make the album quite unpredictable. “Almost Easy” sounds like a classic Avenged Sevenfold song. Later in the album, “A Little Piece of Heaven” sounds like a cross between A Nightmare Before Christmas and a Mr. Bungle song…and the last few scenes of Beetlejuice. Immediately following, there is “Dear God”, a country-esque song about missing a loved one, with plenty of slide guitar.

So why such a high rating? Finally, a modern metal band breaks free from sounding like every other metal band out there! Avenged Sevenfold has released an album with a variety of sounds and styles, and pulled it off. Don’t get me wrong, I love metal, and I do still miss the old A7X styles, but I am equally happy with something totally different. I love other music as well, and hearing a metal twist to other genres is refreshing.

To sum it all up, Avenged Sevenfold’s self-titled release obliterates any label of being “just another A7X album”. It contains a few songs that will please metalheads and guitar-lovers. The rest of the songs each stand out as separate styles, from country to a circus jingle. This variety shows the band’s willingness to branch out and show their open-mindedness. The result is a fun hard rock album that contains influences from several other genres, proving that the guys from A7X can do more than play heavily distorted metal riffs.

Pros:
-Each song sounds very different; little, if any recycling.
-Guitar solos are present, and sound great even though they are lower in number compared to previous releases.
-“A Little Piece of Heaven”. Gives the band a good reason to release an album the day before Halloween.
-3 Different vocal sources further push the idea of change.
-There are a still a few songs that would fit onto previous A7X albums.

Cons:
-Not the return of a Waking the Fallen or Sounding the Seventh Trumpet sound many fans were looking forward to.
-Riffs lack technicality.
-A hard rock/metal group releases a country-sounding song….seriously (though I like it, even though it’s not very metal  )
-Drastic change of pace in the band’s style will no doubt turn off many listeners.

Recommended tracks for A7X Fans:
“Critical Acclaim”, “Almost Easy”, “Afterlife”

Recommended tracks to demonstrate new styles:

“A Little Piece of Heaven” (I seriously ask that you watch A Nightmare Before Christmas and Beetlejuice and then listen to this song), “Dear God”, “Unbound (The Wild Ride)” (The piano part in this song is really cool)

---

STREAM:

2.7

south_of_heaven 11
October 24th 2007

Does this have a stream? If not, review gets deleted.

McP3000
October 24th 2007

A stream? What do you mean by stream?

south_of_heaven 11
October 24th 2007

Is this album being streamed? If it leaked, you can't post a review, but if the artist willingly streams the album for free you can.

McP3000
October 24th 2007

Oh, my bad. I thought this was Waking the Fallen with an inverted CD cover.
Yeah, you might want to save this review on your computer just in case its deleted. You're 6 days early.

October 24th 2007

Review's saved...but there was a listening party at Hot Topics around the country. Checked it out there

October 24th 2007

Oh, and it was hosted by the band...but yeah if it's deleted that's ok...it's saved. This Message Edited On 10.24.07

October 24th 2007

Not surprisingly, the Rev basically wrote the entire song "A Little Piece of Heaven." I
downloaded his old band, Pinkly Smooth, and it is the bees knees.
This Message Edited On 10.24.07

EDIT: Anyone have a guess about how long it is going to take Josh D. to make a
pointless remark on here? I am guessing by 6pm central time.This Message Edited On 10.24.07

October 24th 2007

The end solo in Afterlife is pretty good.

Jom
October 24th 2007

All I need is a link to a stream or show where the band is hosting it.

Jom
October 24th 2007

Never mind, found it thanks to Google. I'm going to put it at the bottom of your review; please don't remove it.

Thanks Jom!

October 24th 2007

I believe A Little Piece of Heaven is about a man that kills his girlfriend, then she comes back to life, inhabits her body and kills him. Then he comes back to life, inhabits his body and instead of killing each other, they decide to get married.....and kill everyone at their wedding. At least that is what I think it is about. Good stuff. Nice to see Avenged still doing different things even if their sound is a little more mainstream nowadays.

October 24th 2007

The stream didn't work for me! Same as with Serj Tankian's new album...anyone know why???

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

Yazz_Flute

Same here Scream.

But I just checked youtube, and you can find the leaked versions of the songs there!

Afterlife is pretty sick.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

i am the robots
October 24th 2007

the voice cracking is really inspiring

October 24th 2007

I feel a bit better about the cd now. It actually wasn't too bad. I'll have to listen to it a bit more before i decide wether to buy though.

Yazz_Flute
October 24th 2007

I listened to the whole thing, and actually, i'm impressed. This album was much more than I expected it to be.

Afterlife, Lost, and A Little Piece of Heaven are great, the definite highlights. Unbound (the wild ride) is great too, but the female vocals at the end kill it methinks.

Scream and Brompton Cocktail were the only more average songs on the album I think, Scream was really catchy, but had horrible lyrics, even for A7X standards. Brompto Cocktail started promising, but ended seeming very filler.

Dear God was cool, but annoying aT THE SAME TIME, NOT SURE HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT.

I've decided I will get this, probably will rate it a 3.5-4.

October 24th 2007

I like this album. 3.5 probably.

Lunarfall

SCREAM! -

You can stream Serj's album on his myspace if you're interested.

Thanks

I agree with BodomInflames highlight songs. I don't really like Dear God though....maybe it'll grow on me...i don't know... not sure between a 3.5 and 4.