Insomnium
Above the Weeping World

by Kyle Ward STAFF
September 18th, 2007 | 157 replies | 27,172 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Despite what many opponents of the band may say, Insomnium's well-worn niche in their respective interpretation of melodic death metal is one that they rule with an iron fist. Their depressive take on the genre is one that rings true with emotion and sincere songwriting prowess, from the thunderous and melodic riffs to the wayward acoustic interludes that piece themselves around the compositions fairly prevalently, but each time placed in a way that the structures fail to become repetitive. Above The Weeping World is a more focused album that ever before for Insomnium, sticking true to what they do best but exploring the many ways it can be presented with a thorough and satisfying exhaustiveness.

The intensity and straight-forwardness of the single “Mortal Share” contrasts the lumbering and deep “At The Gates Of Sleep”, showing the dynamic ability for Insomnium to swing powerfully even though contained within a relatively suffocating space. Tracks like "In The Groves Of Death" feature exhausting beauty and ravaging sorrow that simply no band in the world has replicated in its sheer emotional sincerity, setting Insomnium far above any of their contemporaries. Exploring all the facets of melodic death metal with a seemingly unending catalog of highly melodic and incredibly memorable riffs is the norm on Above The Weeping World, backed by a respectably solid showing by the drums and bass, which are mixed well and not buried or overshadowed. The diversity of songs like “The Killjoy” contain the drawn-out, emotion-laden compositions that are at this point typical Insomnium while shoehorning in intense and sharp rhythms that fit well with Niilo Sevanen’s fitting, if a bit rigid, growls.

It’s hard to point out any real negatives to an album that was so well-composed and complete, an achievement that Insomnium have rightfully attained with Above The Weeping World. There are moments of serenity, moments of intensity, and moments of emotional purity that let you know that everything here is sincere and true. Nothing seems shallow or faked; no riffs lose themselves in their own pretenses. Each and every song has a purpose that, once added together, reveals an overall picture that surpasses the notion of being the sum of its individual parts. It’s an art, and one that Insomnium are well-versed in, because the deep colors and clashing shades are smooth and clean, and despite being painted on the canvas of a genre that seems worn and tattered, Above The Weeping World is a breathtaking piece.

Empyrium The Turn of the TidesWolves in the Throne Room Celestite
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereInsomnium Shadows of the Dying Sun
Ainulindale NevrastSargeist Feeding the Crawling Shadows

Crysis
September 18th 2007

Love this album. Can't wait for more Insomnium material.This Message Edited On 10.07.07

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

September 18th 2007

That is a great review and a great cd. My vote will cancel out that as*hole .

MUST LISTEN TO THIS AGAIN NOW!!!!!!!!This Message Edited On 09.18.07

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

September 18th 2007

I've heard it already lol I added the again to avoid such confusion but i guess you saw the post before i added it.

September 18th 2007

I cant find this anywhere. Ive had the same 6 tracks for awhile, pisses me off.

September 18th 2007

I still dont have Devoid of Caring and that pisses me off too. It's supposed to be one of the better songs (and it has to be pretty damn good to beat some of the stuff on here).

Willie
September 18th 2007

I cant find this anywhere. Ive had the same 6 tracks for awhile, pisses me off.
I still dont have Devoid of Caring and that pisses me off too.
well if you don't have all the songs then my assumption is that... well you know what it is... I know you can get the ones you're missing off of iTunes Music store legitamitely, and give the band some sort of support ;)
I read yours, I actually enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks!

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

masscows
September 18th 2007

i don't understand the point of the review.

good album though, one of the few melo-death albums i've heard that really has true longevity.

SynGates
September 18th 2007

Cool Review of a great album

Wizard

19231 Comments

I was caught off guard by that review. Well written and was a convincer for me to check out this band.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Crimson
September 19th 2007

1935 Comments

Great review, don't worry about blackmilk, no one really cares what he says anyway.

Mu pos vote.

Abaddon2005
September 19th 2007

This album really isn't that good. It has a few good melodies throughout but gets very repetitive as a whole.

Aeksis8745
December 1st 2007

Their first album destroys this and STDIACD, this is still a very good album. Much better than most melodic death these days.

myhigherpie
January 1st 2009

I'm starting to like this even more than STDIACD

Motiv3
May 1st 2009

This albums is even better than their previous 2 tbh

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

May 1st 2009

Crysis was whacked.

May 4th 2009

i think he was saying that crysis got murdered

but he is also insane so idk what he meant

mothergoose
June 14th 2009

Enjoy this significantly more than STDIACD honestly... both great albums. I've been pondering raising this to a 5 - it isn't the most innovative stuff out there, but it's still one of my favorite metal albums to date.

Ponton
December 5th 2009

This is a great album; The Killjoy and Last Statement are awesome tracks.

Ponton
February 22nd 2011

... i prefer the other one though ;)