Radiohead
OK Computer

by ThePlaceboEffect USER (1 Reviews)
April 18th, 2007 | 30 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album is good for people who like this sort of music but not for others

OK album, recommended if you are into this sort of music but otherwise you may not like it. One of the many reasons OK Computer stands out from its contemporaries is that it was the first rock album in almost two decades that dared to deal with themes of urban alienation and technology's effect on the human psyche. Coming out in a period where a gaggle of bands were sticking rigidly to a revisionist, oversimplified reading of their progenitors' music - Kula Shaker's psychedelia revivalism, Ocean Colour Scene's "mod" revivalism, Oasis's increasingly moronic tributes to the Beatles - OK Computer stuck out like a sore thumb.

With this album, Radiohead dared to catch up with the surrounding popular culture; it stands proudly alongside works by Martin Amis, Oliver Bevan, JG Ballard, David Cronenberg and other who focused on the dystopian aspects of an increasingly technology-driven world.

One of the album's strengths lies in Thom Yorke's lyrically Orwellian depiction of a terror-filled yet hopeful world peopled by characters who buzz like fridges. This was in such stark contrast to much of the music from the Britpop moment as to sound like something entirely new (the honourable exception being Blur's sublime The Universal which predates Radiohead's millennialism by a good two years), There is Airbag's Ballardian tale of surviving a car crash, where technology nearly takes and then rescues life; Paranoid Android's disorientated, scattershot anger towards the alienating effects of digital sound, featuring some mind-boggling guitar work from Jonny Greenwood; Subterranean Homesick Alien's Miles Davis-influenced, innocent fantasy of seeing the world new and beautiful; and the album's great opus, No Surprises, an unspeakably atmospheric, beautifully disillusioned update of the Beach Boys' Caroline, No, delivered with humanity and a fatalistic compassion that its authors would lose in the imperious and paradoxically technology-embracing drone of their subsequent albums.

4.6

riobravo1023
April 18th 2007

Did we need this review?

Anyway, decent review for a first.This Message Edited On 04.18.07

Two-Headed Boy
April 18th 2007

Yeah what he said. I'll still vote, though.

The Jungler
April 18th 2007

This review, while well-written, is pretty annoying. I love this album just as much as the next Radiohead fanboy, but a lot of your statements are just way too ridiculous (i.e. calling it mankind's magnum opus). Also, anyone who thinks Pablo Honey should be bought before Kid A, Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief is brain dead.

IsItLuck?

basically what jungler said

I wonder if anyone will ever write a negative review for this. or something below 5. And after Med reviews basically anything, there's no need for anotherThis Message Edited On 04.18.07

FlawedPerfection
April 18th 2007

Med's is a great track by track, but overalls are much more effective so I think Holland's (Eliminator's) is the best.

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

I've been meaning to buy this. This is an excellent review for a first. Eventually you will naturally get better. To answer IsITLuck's question, I'm going to buy it and intentionally give it a 1 to get respect and a review with over 20 votes :p

IsItLuck?

lol :p

tom79
April 18th 2007

I agree with Jungler about the review.

Ive listened to this album tons of times but it still isn't a 5 for me, though its excellent, to say the least. Karma Police, Climbing up the Walls, No Surprises are probably my favorites.

Digging: Bent Outta Shape - Bent Outta Shape

La Revolucion
April 18th 2007

[quote=Review]Radiohead would sadly go on to release very average rhythmic electronic music[/quote]
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Oh and decent review.

plane
April 18th 2007

This album grew on me. Kid A used to be my favorite, but this... this is perfect.

Electric City
April 18th 2007

All Radiohead is awesome, save Pablo, so your electronica statment is very off. Amnesiac contains my favorite Radiohead tracks, and Kid A is a magnificent effort. And the same as everyone, This is Perfect.

Zmev
April 18th 2007

Not the best Radiohead, not even the second best Radiohead.

Doppelganger
April 18th 2007

Review is meh. Like previously stated, your comment about "average rhythmic electronic music" could never be more wrong.

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

Do you expect anything else from a first time reviewier though?

Iluvatar
April 18th 2007

The review is super duper pretentious, and lacks in the organizational department a bit. Ironic coming from me, but yeah.
I wish I could have heard this when it was released to maybe get the "majesty" of it. It's not like its aged in a short period of time, but I don't see the humongous deal.

plane
April 18th 2007

Do you expect anything else from a first time reviewier though?

Praising him for a first review when it shouldn't be praised is kind of against the point. He's supposed to get better, and not telling him why his review isn't good just because it's expected of a first reviewer isn't going to make him better.

The Jungler
April 18th 2007

[quote=zepdude]I'm going to buy it and intentionally give it a 1 to get respect and a review with over 20 votes [/quote]Yeah because a shitty, negative review of a well-liked album is going to get you respect.

The Sludge
April 18th 2007

I just find this album kinda average, I'd like to write a review why, but really, I just don't know why. It'd be like reviewing Converge, giving it a 2.5, and not knowing why.

Iluvatar
April 18th 2007

So it'd be like every below-3.5 review for Converge on the site, then.

Kaleid
April 18th 2007

It's really bleak, and does the whole 'technology terror' thing very well. But I reckon you've gotta be in a very specific mood to listen to it. Still excellent, though.
Review was better than a lot of firsts but Ilu's right, it needs a bit of structure/reorganisationThis Message Edited On 04.18.07