Dark Tranquillity
Fiction

by Mike Stagno EMERITUS
April 18th, 2007 | 645 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Yet another worthwhile addition to Dark Tranquillity's impressive discography.

When one is attempting to get into more extreme styles of metal, there are a series of paths which he or she could take. One could delve headfirst into brutal blackened tech death metal with some grindcore influences. Or they could ease themselves slowly. If the latter path is to be taken then there are several essential bands to start out with. Two of these acts are old-era In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. No, neither of these bands are really all that heavy or extreme, but it is a step in that direction. And though I would take The Jester Race over Dark Tranquillity's better albums, In Flames hasn't really done anything worthwhile in seven years (when they released Clayman). So that leaves only Dark Tranquillity as a source for some of the genre's more consistent works. And with their latest album, Fiction, they definitely deliver.

To be honest, Fiction isn't all that different from its predecessor, Character. Both in terms of quality and the actual music, the two albums are very similar, and to consider Fiction a continuation of the exploits found on Character wouldn't be a stretch in any imagination. But what does this Character-Fiction musical hybrid actually sound like? While it is not really all that complicated, as some of metal's more progressive acts, it isn't all that difficult to realize that there are multiple dimensions to the music. Songs like Nothing to No One and Inside the Particle display this characteristic, incorporating both ferocious, aggressive overtones along with a softer, more soothing atmosphere. Other songs, such as Misery's Crown for example, focus more on the sombre, heartfelt aspects of the band's writing. To accomplish such a sound, Dark Tranquillity taps into the talents of guitarists Niklas Sundin and Martin Henriksson for the dark, relentless riffing which for the most part compliments Martin Brandstrom's spacey, electronic work. The result is quite interesting and rather superb, as it catches the listener's attention and does not let it go for, well, the entirety of the 45 minute recording. Despite sounding similar to the band's past works, Fiction also manages to sound fresh and new, which is hardly a negative characteristic.

So, so far I've done nothing but praise Dark Tranquillity for their efforts on the new album. Yet, while a 4 is definitely a strong score, Fiction contains certain elements which prevent me from rating it higher. Though while one can go listen to it for the first time and love it instantly, the album still somewhat takes awhile to truly appreciate. None of the songs really stand out and grab you by the neck upon the first few listens. The aforementioned Nothing to No One along with perhaps Focus Shift should definitely impress first time listeners (of the band or the album), but it's difficult to immediately pick one particular track which is catchy and memorable right off the bat. Another issue that Fiction sometimes displays is the lack of individuality (for lack of better terms) between each track. It sounds as though Dark Tranquillity was resting on its laurels, as many a song has similar structure and, well, sound as another. Now, the famous quote which reads "if it ain't broke, don’t fix it," may ring true, as I did mention Fiction sounding fresh and interesting, but a little more variance wouldn't have hurt the album. All and all, these are just minor qualms and do not really distort my views of the album, but I feel if they were improved upon, that Fiction could be a better album.

Overall, Dark Tranquillity's latest album, Fiction, does not really explore any new territory. Fans of the band (especially Character) will love it. Detractors (especially of Character) will hate it. All is right in the world. Ultimately, I feel that Fiction is a quite enjoyable, worthwhile collection of music and definitely an album to listen to if you want to get your feet wet with some of the more extreme metal genres. Perhaps one of the metal's stronger releases this year, Dark Tranquillity's eighth full length album is definitely an interesting album to check out.

Funeral for a Friend ConduitPropagandhi Failed States
Tycho DiveMegadeth Th1rt3en
Fair to Midland Arrows and AnchorsArch Enemy Khaos Legions

April 18th 2007

Didn't expect to get this out so early.

Eakflanderyof
April 18th 2007

I haven't ever really looked much into Dark Tranquillity. I kind of liked what I've heard, but I've never heard a full album. Lost to Apathy was great, though. I like old-era IF better than what I've heard from Dark Tranquillity. It's probably because I'm a guitar guy and IF has the more creative guitar riffs while Dark Tranquillity has pretty standard guitar with more keyboard-oriented music.

Godd review, though.

April 18th 2007

I'm more of a guitar guy too, but I really like the way the guitars and keyboard compliment each other. Very interesting, for me at least.

Thanks for comments

ToWhatEnd
April 18th 2007

Can't tell you anything about the band, but I'll tell you this was a nice review. And I love it how you said you were stopping for awhile, please don't kid yourself you are like the Energizer Bunny with reviews

plane
April 18th 2007

I really want to check this out. Good review and the likes. You're a beast, Mike.

TheHamburgerman
April 18th 2007

Damnit! I wanted to review this album. Sadly I have a sort of writer's block and can't put one good word on my wordart. You did a nice review, but I would include Blind at Heart at the highlights, it's probably my favorite DT song ever.

Ire

I WANT THIS SHIT!

south_of_heaven 11

"Icipher" sucks Mike wtf :confused:
Good review though; this is a great album, but it doesn't feel as varied as "Character".

Dethtrasher

Good review Mike.
Drak Tranquillity has never grabbed my attention but if I see this I will probably buy it. Most because to increase my Cd collection because I feel a bit stupid to download music almost all the time

Crysis
April 18th 2007

It isnt out in the US till the 24th, but I plan on reviewing it then.

Can't wait for this one.

April 18th 2007

Same here until late last night, strangely.

And I love it how you said you were stopping for awhile,
Don't remember this, but okay. :pThis Message Edited On 04.18.07

Wizard

19612 Comments

God damn I hate having to wait an extra week for this to be released because Im Canadian! FUCK! Is this seriously out in the States?

On a more positive note, excellent review again Mikesn, your reviews never cease to amaze me!

Digging: Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

Crysis
April 18th 2007

I haven't seen it out in the US yet, I live in New Hampshire and all the stores I've checked say its out on the 24th.

April 18th 2007

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be released yesterday everywhere in North America. Guess it was delayed? The same thing happened to the new Iron Maiden cd last September...

Shattered_Future
April 18th 2007

I don't like this as much as Character. It's good, but there are some lame tracks on here, I thought. Most notably Misery's Crown. Which is a damn shame, because Stanne started singing again, and I (probably one of the only ones) do love his singing voice. It just seems really...boring. The riffing isn't anything special.

April 18th 2007

Wtf Misery's Crown and Icipher are cool.

But anyways, between this and Character I'm not sure I know which one I prefer. Guess it depends on which one I'm listening to at the moment hah.

Shattered_Future
April 18th 2007

I gotta say, for me at least, Character is probably one of the best albums ever. Not a single bad track on it, and the music they wrote for it is incredible.

Wizard

19612 Comments

Character is amazing, and I have high hopes for this cd (which probably wont disappoint).

Altmer
April 18th 2007

This sounds decent, but I feel there's other bands I gotta put before this one.

Jom
April 18th 2007

Great album, but I'm unsure of what I'm going to give this yet.
Awesome review, too.