Archers of Loaf
Icky Mettle

by Chris Jackson USER (177 Reviews)
February 4th, 2007 | 51 replies | 14,853 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Unfortunately for Archers of Loaf they were never able to receive much mainstream success. Even on a website such as sputnikmusic the band is still ignored which really is a shame. I say this because bands such as Pavement and Built to Spill are extremely popular in the underground world of music while Archers of Loaf are ignored. I’m writing this review because if you enjoy the two bands that I mentioned above then you’re more then likely to enjoy Icky Mettle.

While a lot of indie rock groups during the 90's had sort of a slacker edge to them Archers of Loaf show a lot of intensity. With two guitar players in the band the music is extremely fuzzy, chaotic, and messy. The hard rocking guitar riffs create a wall of sound, Eric Bachmanns angst ridden vocals are buried deep in the mix of crashing guitars and rumbling bass-lines. Most of the songs are around two to three minutes long and this benefits the listener because if the songs went on any longer then your head may start to hurt. Although musically Archers of Loaf are very loud and unorganized their songs are still very addicting and catchy.

After listening to Icky Mettle for the first time the songs sound kind of similar. There are a few angular breaks in a couple of songs but for the most part the music is in your face never giving you a chance to take a break. The music goes from the pop-punk riffs of Wrong and Hate Paste to angst-ridden indie-rock tunes (Last Word, You And Me) to insane noisefests (Sickfile, Slowworm) to the occasional subdued track (Plumb Line). I’ll admit that Icky Mettle does not show a great deal of diversity but it features just enough to get by without being repetitive.

Now I’m not saying that Icky Mettle is any Slanted & Enchanted or Keep it Like A Secret but it’s definitely an album worth your time if you’re into noise-rock or indie-rock since the music is hard rocking, chaotic, fuzzy, compelling, and extremely catchy. Although it’s not as structured or melody driven as it could of been Icky Mettle is still an excellent album that any fan of indie music will enjoy.

The Dead C Secret EarthJohn Coltrane Lush Life
Crystal Castles Crystal CastlesUlaan Khol I
Four Tet RingerHarmonia Musik von Harmonia
random (4.5)
This album changed my life, and it should change yours, too....

Electric City
February 4th 2007

I wish I could write reviews as good and short as you do.

I like Pavement, but not enough to try similar artists.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins [AMDISCS]

Jom
February 4th 2007

Fantastic review. You've got quite the talent to summarize and highlight (and lowlight) the album perfectly in such a manner that you do.

February 4th 2007

Great review. I remember hearing of the Archers of Loaf from a book on songwriting. I feel they are tremendously underrated. I still like Pavement better, but anyway
great band, great review

br3ad_man

This album is sick.

Spectrum
February 5th 2007

Man, I'm gonna have to give this a look-see. I've only recently started getting into Pavement, but from what you've described, it sounds like my Deerhoof addiction might pay off as well when I do decide to grab this album. Very nice review, quite brief but still summarily informative. I'm impressed.

NineBitFable
February 5th 2007

Great review, but you forgot about Web in Front, which is seriously about as perfect as a pop song can get.

trustxdialect

Pop?

samariah
February 8th 2007

this is pretty decent

May 4th 2008

Pretty sweet album; reminds me of a more intense version of Pavement. It's a shame these guys were basically forgotton.This Message Edited On 05.04.08

Double Post.This Message Edited On 05.04.08

lunchforthesky
May 4th 2008

Yeah this album is awesome.

Granfalloon
November 25th 2008

This is so good- Web in Front is greatness.

iranscam
July 11th 2009

nearly a 5

SeaAnemone
December 13th 2009

so overlooked it's not even funny

RadioYorke
April 18th 2010

Yer i agree, its a shame no one knows about this band :/

Brylawski

August 19th 2010

Very Strong Review!

Yotimi
September 29th 2010

Web in Front is so damn good

random
December 17th 2010

You're not the one who let me down, but thanks for offering.