|UserReviews 9Approval 84%Soundoffs 77News Articles 7Band Edits + Tags 96Album Edits 17Album Ratings 1072Objectivity 77%Last Active 09-12-13 10:16 amJoined 11-30-11Forum Posts 40Review Comments 15,549
|Will the real guitarists please stand up|
|I want an H-H Telecaster so badly. Too bad I'm just a university student.|
As for techniques, I'd practice advanced tapping (8-finger) and finger picking, and creating sounds with pedals; the problem is I don't have an electric guitar at the moment.
|HH teles are sweet agreed. 8 finger tapping is ridiculous, I can do 5 at the most. And that's 3 with my left hand, 2 on the right |
|1 Ibanez 1999 S7420
2 Ibanez 1990 Universe Black with Green Hardware
3 Egnater Armageddon 120 watt
6 Dunlop Jazz iii's
7 Ernie Ball Cobalts .011 on my 6 strings, DR custom downtune set on the 7
9 Dimarzios (went with the Blazes man, had to go with my gut haha)
10 Gibson, although wouldn't mind having a Jazzmaster for the shits and giggles
11 Been meaning to try Axe FX to clean up my recording space
12 legato, pinch and natural harmonics and sweeps (with some tapping worked into sweeps), also
usually can come up with some pretty sweet groove riffs
13 economy picking
14 A Standard for the 7, either Drop C or Open C for the 6 string. also occasionally experiment
with Drop B and Open B
15 some of all time favorites are Adam Jones, Robert Fripp, Devin Townsend, Dimebag Darrell Abbott,
Jerry Cantrell, Stephen Carpenter,
and Chuck Schuldiner|
|I have a pretty sick Guitar Hero model.|
|i only have an epi les paul with a crate combo amp cause i'm poor. got a focusrite interface and logic pro for recording|
di'adarrio 10's or 11's for strings
i write in standard, drop C, drop B, or neurosis tuning (standard with E string dropped to low A)
dunlop tortex jazz picks (the black ones) or black ice's are my picks of choice
fender vs gibson idgaf. tele's and les pauls are both sweet
techniques idk im not super advanced but im a drummer so im good at rhythmic stuff like meshuggah and im also decent at tapping and slidey stuff lol
techniques that need work: everything, mostly alt picking and string skipping
fav guitarists: akerfeldt, masvidal, gilmour, thordendal, adrian and dave from maiden, ben weinman, paul and dustie from btbam, mustaine/friedman, schuldiner
|Black Fender Strat (American), Vox AC30, dream guitar Gibson ES335, fav pedal - OCD Fulltone, I love fender & gibson... they make quality guitars, can play in standard, flat, and open tunings, some of my fav guitarists are Jimmy Page, Clapton, Hendrix, George Harrison, Santana, Alex Lifeson... I don't find metal intriguing. Would rather play riffs from the soul than some dude playing 4000bps on a 8 string guitar.|
|shit lifeson too|
|mmmhh forgot Gilmour. That man's solos are cathartic symphonies|
|technique that needs work is speed :/ I like to play la villa strangiato until about 4:55 than I get destroyed for a little while|
|1. My ibanez RGA121h with DiMarzio's |
2. Ibanez RGA just with different hardware, and colors
3. Mesa Dual Rectifier
4. Rectifier cab
5. EHX cathedral, way huge green rhino
6. Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz III's
7. Circle K strings
8. DiMarzio clip-lock
10. Both awesome, gibson has points for using richlite fretboard material, looks like ebony but good for the environment.
11. Really really cool. Especially the Kemper, I'm saving for one
12. Alt picking
13. Sweep picking
14. CGCFA#D# // DGCFA#D# // C#F#BEAD and other weird tunings
15. Can't pick one lol
|The first tuning there looks similar to Converge's tuning, I've tried doing stuff like that but it always throws me off lol. Ever heard of the New Standard Tuning that Robert Fripp from King Crimson uses sometimes? apparently he tunes the guitar similarly to a Cello|
|my decent acoustic just broke so I'm pissed|
|1. PRS SE Custom 24/ Cort X-1|
2. Godin Redline 2
3. Crate Flexwave
4. Flexwave Cab
5. Just the basic pedal that came with the Flexwave. It has a built-in delay and reverb on the amp, so all I ever need to do is switch between clean and overdriven sounds.
6. Tortex .73mm
7. Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky
8. Lock-It LIS
9. Dimarzio, but almost any passive pickup, I can find a way to make it sound decent. I can't stand actives.
10. I've never been too fond of Fender guitars, so I have to lean more toward Gibson, mainly because I've loved almost every Les Paul I've ever played.
11. Never used one. Just can't be bothered with it, as I much prefer getting the sound of the guitar and amp. I'm not too big on tampering with things, as I'm focused on keeping things simple and effective. That kind of tampering might come later, though.
12. String hopping/down picking
13. Sweep picking. Only recently tried to further develop my skill. I write primarily rhythm lines first, so my lead playing falls by the wayside at times.
14. Drop C#/Drop C for metalcore and hardcore/Drop D for my screamo side
15. Can't really decide, either.
Aaron Turner, etc.
|I'm really not as much of a gearhead as most by the looks of it.|
1. Epiphone Les Paul Standard, with a surprisingly fast neck.
2. I don't really have one at this point. I'm happy with my baby, but I sometimes wish it was lighter.
3. Favourite so far was a Marshall MG100
5. Zoom G3x
6. Planet Waves Black Ice
7. I used to use D'Addario super light gauge strings (0.09), but I've been using lower tunings lately so I switched to flat-wound medium gauges (.13).
8. Unbranded straps with Hennessey strap locks.
10. Always been in love with the Gibson LP tone.
11. Sure wish I could afford an Axe FX, but that's not happening any time soon.
12. Tapping, hybrid picking.
13. Sweeping. Not the picking; that I can do. It's the actual fingering that I struggle with.
14. Depending on what I'm playing: Standard E/Eb/D, Drop D/Db/C, DADAAD, DADADD, DADFAD
15. In order of appearance in my life: Slash, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Lukather, Jerry Cantrell, Ty Tabor, Alex Lifeson, Billy Howerdel, Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend, Jakub Zytecki.
|1. Ibanez S770PB (digging the ibi love in this thread btw)|
2. Custom semi-hollow Strat or factory prs p22
3. Laney VH100R. My bandmate's Splawn Nitro is fucking sick too, though.
4. Orange 4x12
5. Maxon TS808, MXR Carbon Copy, and whatever the boss splicer pedal is.
6. Jazz Tortex .73's I think?
7. DR Drop Down Tuning 11's. Thinking about switching to something with a heavier G.
8. Hell if I know.
9. Bare Knuckle pickups for sound but it's pretty damn hard to afford the damn things.
10. In my personal opinion, I'd get way more for my money with a Fender and just a better playing instrument. I find Gibsons to be insanely overpriced and overrated but that's just me.
11. Axe-FX are alright and I practice with amp sims around the house almost always. Nowadays you can get pretty decent results with this stuff but I don't feel like it'll ever replace the real thing for me.
12. My left hand work, maybe?
14. Standard E, D Standard, and Drop B and C primarily. I occaisionally use some open tunings like Open Dmin9 and Dmaj7.
15. Wes Montgomery
|Im to lazy to answer all them but ill answer 10. The answer is Ibanez.|
|yeah Ibanez seriously is one of the best guitar brands ever, they just manage to get the perfect blend
of modern and classic sounds all rolled into one. Plus Wizard necks are some of the most comfortable
necks out there|
|I was actually talking to Chucky there sapient. Don't interrupt our conversations again.|
|ok I'll ask for permission next time, Mom|
|Thanks breh i knew you'd understand.|
|Ibanez 4 lyfe |
|Oh and 3 is so fucking hawt|
|Agreed. That album slays|
|Hey guys, I had to sell my electric a few years back to get some money for my newest drum kit. Now I'm in the process of buying a new amp. I really dig playing post-metal and some prog type stuff. What's a good inexpensive combo amp for my needs?|
|oh man i can answer all these questions differently but i just don't have the time right now|
|1. So far I only own an old and used Ibanez ExSeries and a Gibson Melody Maker Explorer (so I'd go for the latter)|
2. That gibson black beauty with the 3 pickups is so nice. Also owning a PRS would be pretty sweet (Don't know much about their models though)
3.Haven't tried enough to really have an opinion. I have a shitty Washburn 18 or 20watt
4.No idea haha
5.I have a zoom G3X which I got for Christmas and is the only pedal I've really gotten to try
6.Generally around 1mm, not really any specific brand
7. I like the light top/heavy bottoms, generally D'Addario
8. Some plain black thing I got off eBay for a couple of bucks
9. Again haven't had much of a chance to compare but I keep hearing good stuff about DiMarzios so I've been wanting to learn more about those. Also Seymour Duncans.
10.Gibson. They're always seemed more versatile and I tend to liek the tones better.
11.haha no clue
12. hmm my alt picking is coming along well, also down picking (whatever you call that melodeath riff technique)
13. Can't sweep for shit, tapping needs a lot of work
14.Standard, Dropped D, DGCFAD, Dropped C mostly
15.Oh man...too many..Alex Lifeson, Mikael Akerfeldt, Jon Nodtveidt, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Tony Iommi, Alexi Laiho (CoB's older material were a big deal in getting me to start playing so he keeps respect for that), so many more great guitarists
|does my paper jamz count?|
|Thinking of getting a new amp with Christmas coming though. Anyone have recs for something decent but not ridiculously pricey? (preferably under or around 300$)|
|I'm thinking about getting an ibanez rg or an esp ps 1 but I'm torn. I'm more of a bass player right now, I have a p bass which is pretty sweet|
|I use a Dimarzio Clip-Lock strap, they look great and they keep the guitar safe. I used to use heavy gauge picks, but now I use those tiny thin teardrop red Tortex ones. I think the gauge is like 0.6 or something.|
Seriously, if I have the wrong pick in my hands I cannot play.