Kool Keith
Black Elvis/Lost in Space

by Zachary Powell USER (64 Reviews)
November 12th, 2006 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

If you're in a dark alley in whatever time for whatever reason, you better hope that isn't Kool Keith breathing heavily right behind you for a couple reasons. First off, it would be odd since big time underground rappers usually aren't found right behind you breathing heavily in a dark alley; secondly this is no ordinary underground big time rapper, this is Kool "Black Elvis" "Dr. Dooom" "Dr. Octagon" Keith, the man of as many names as sexual orientations. While being known for surrounding himself with big name help and a wacky disguise to go along with it, only have of that appears on Black Elvis/Lost in Space as producer Dan the Automator and turntablist Dj Qbert do not appear on this effort. Perhaps it is appropriate since Keith at this point was entering a new phrase since on First Come First Served Dr Octagon had meet his dooom, but was this a good phase? The answer to that is yes and no as while Keith keeps writing great lyrics and coming up with great disguises, the replay value and overall quality of the piece is still in question. Question being "is this catchy" and the answer being "no".

Of course good ideas also get made up into this album. There is a reason there are two introductions as there are two album titles (no it isn't a coincidence). That being, there are two different things being explored here, one is regular old Keith, except he is in space, and one is being placed on regular old Earth, except its with Black Elvis. The nifty concept of that certainly gains some points for creativity, and if you're into stories of concepts, you can keep that in mind.

"Why do you pull up in valet parking with your Benz/that is rented/talking on a cellular phone that doesn't work/why?" beginning, as introduction tracks usually don't, by help the rest of the album out and getting it off to a good start. Sure in hip-hop we are used to listening to stupid bombastic skit introductions that merely introduce the MC or have something that isn't relevant to the work at all; but this is different, as Intro lays down the persona and voice that will work through this whole album. sing two of the key members in the past, aren't bad at all, producing a slow jams style beat that sounds like its in space. That may sound wacky, but look who's doing the rapping. Intro 2 cannot hold up to these standards as it plays the role of the traditional intro track, being an artificial Madison Square Garden concert in which Kool Keith is introduced to fake crowd noise for 25 seconds.

The main flaw on this record is the way the beats and the lyrics/delivery are never really able to stay together and sound focused. Take Livin' Astro for instance, sure the words are far out ("Flying saucers, spaceships move at warp speed/MTV level three when I fly on bet/Livin astro, tell me how you feel/"One two, one two") but what its delivered over is just a basic drum beat not giving any images of space or being black or Elvis. While there isn't many problems with the lyrics since this is Kool Keith's specialty, the beats sometimes work against them, hindering the ability for the song to want to be played again.

While the setting is different, what remains the same is Keith's brand of creepy sexiness that usually becomes the subject of his even creepier words for it. In a way they remind you of your own sexual escapades, but not of you getting it on, more like you walking in on your parents. The psychological torment continues with Fine Girls, which chronicles Keith trying to pick up a girl he sees around. Yes he is a "big secret admirer of [her]" and no matter how bad the other dude is, he just has a way of providing the weird alternative. "He beat you up/I'll eat you up/Reheat you up/Come fix your life/Make you my wife" provides one of those lines that would make it on the "Top 10 things you wouldn't say to a stranger" list, but its OK for him seeing as not only are we used to it, we sort of expect it from him. The song itself doesn't follow with the fresh lyrics, providing a dull and looping beat of simple piano and a drum beat; this coupled with the never changing tempo and delivery make for a static song, one that is good for a minute but leaves the remaining 2 not necessary to be heard.

In a time where he is not plummeting to a creative low but not enjoying the peaks he once knew, Keith braces for a time of change and in response to those times, releases Black Elvis/Lost in Space. While it isn't a bad record or worthless listen by any measure, it isn't anything remarkable and it isn't up to the old standards ol' Black Elvis once knew.