Chiodos
All's Well That Ends Well

by labonza01 USER (18 Reviews)
October 28th, 2006 | 49 replies | 8,611 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "All's Well that Ends Well" Is an album that shines through today's music scene with it's thrashing guitars, aggressive screams, piano interludes, and feminine vocals. It's hard to not find something to like with this album.

Genre disputes are easier to start on Sputnik than a rumor by pre-teen girls in the schoolyard. For every person that classifies music this way, there is always another person who will fight to the death about how they're wrong. When I say that Chiodos can be considered "pop-metal" I don’t mean that they are necessarily a metal band, just a pop-punk band heavily influenced by metal. The strongest example of this influence is the guitar work on this album. The guitarists are constantly playing riffs and breakdowns that wouldn’t be out of place in a metalcore song. Equally melodic, yet metallic, leads accompany heavy rhythm sections. On several occasions, the guitars employ pinch harmonics as well as shredding, as in the first actual song on the album, "All Nerieds Beware". The guitars are unceasingly energetic and fast paced, which really provide an in your face feel to the album.

The guitars also do an excellent job accenting the high pitched vocals. While they are annoying at first, eventually they grow on you and you learn to really appreciate them. Thankfully, Craig breaks the high-pitched singing and blows you away with a devastating, high register scream. The screaming is another area where their metal influences shine through, as this guy could easily be the vocalist of any metalcore act. The clean vocals provide very catchy sections to each song while the screaming provides a brutal element to the music. Many songs on the album could really highlight the screaming, as in the very metallic (guitar-wise) song "There's No Penguins in Alaska", yet this screaming is really more of a periodic thing. The screaming is often times changed slightly with the use of some vocal effects, which for better or worse, cause them to sound similar to the high pitched screaming done by Alex of Atreyu. While some might think this is great, others might just have another reason to dislike this band.

This album is filled to the brim with excellent musicianship, and this applies equally to the keyboard player. The keyboards are used quite often and an effect that is sometimes dark, as in "Expired in Goreville", or they can be almost carnival like as in the completely useless "Interlude Pt. 2", which is basically a minute of extremely annoying keyboard sounds played repeatedly. The keyboard player, who looks strangely autistic during a live show, also handles piano duties. The band isn't afraid to break their assault on your eardrums and segue into a beautiful, soft piano breakdown before returning to their brutal attacks once again, as in the song "The Words 'Best Friend' Become Redefined", or the soft piano intro of "No Hardcore Dancing in the Living Room". These two elements are what really set this band apart form most other bands in the genre.

Not every band member is featured equally, though. The bass, for example does nothing but lay foundations for the guitar and is rarely heard in the chaos that is Chiodos. There is also less of an emphasis on the drummer, who basically provides a rhythm for the band to follow. Sure, he might do a little roll here and there, but his work is less interesting than that of the drummer of, say, Senses Fails Dan Trapp. If these two musicians were had a little more emphasis placed on them, this album would be truly special.

The lyrics, now are not good, yet not bad either. The lyricist has occasional bursts of creative, poetic lines, but then it's destroyed by something completely stupid. The best example of these bad, destructive lyrics is featured in the song "Expired in Goreville" where you hear "I'll love you till my last breath takes you from me" without any instrumental accompanying the vocals. This exposes the bands occasional use of tired cliches. The track names also feature certain cliches as well. These horrible lines destroy an otherwise ok lyrical performance.

The re-release also features beautiful acoustic versions of "Baby, You Wouldn’t Last a Minute on the Creek", "Queen of Diamonds", and "Lindsay Quit Lollygaging" as well as some concert footage, tour documentaries, and a music video.

So, all in all, "All's Well That Ends Well" is a very solid album if you can handle what's inside. From the chaotic whirlwind of thrashing guitars and throat-scratching screams to the soothing piano and feminine vocals, fans of many musical genres will find something to at least appreciate here. A great listen for almost anyone, I highly recommend this album.

Abigail Williams LegendThe Hurt Process A Heartbeat Behind
A Life Once Lost HunterSinai Beach Immersed
The Pink Spiders Teenage GraffitiIt Dies Today Forever Scorned
3.2
good
  • Justin Taslak (3)
    Both better and worse than people make it out to be, All's Well That Ends Well is baby ste...

Sean Rizzo (2.5)
    The most innovative generic album ever!...

RIPkezia (5)
    Chiodos, a relatively new band on the hardcore scene, is able to provide an remarkable com...

Joe Costa (1.5)
    Something Corporate+Unearth=This is really a terrible piece of generic music....

• WilliaMega (4)

Electric City
October 28th 2006

This album is surprisingly good, the piano adds a great deal and I like the vocals.

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

SubtleDagger
October 28th 2006

I disagree with everything, including calling a band like this post-hardcore
"Train wreck" is probably more appropriate

Iluvatar
October 28th 2006

[quote=Summary]"All's Well that Ends Well" Is an album that encapsulates today's shit music scene with it's thrashing-in-monotony guitars, faux-aggressive screams, cliche piano interludes, and miscarraige-inducing vocals. It's hard to find something that doesn't suck with this album.[/quote]
fix'd and stuff.

The Sludge
October 28th 2006

I have heard this name thrown around in a general area. Haven't had a chance to look into them, but it seems it's a hit or miss.

Too bad those MP3 links don't work.

SubtleDagger
October 28th 2006

It's a blessing in disguise
Although I admit the first song I heard by this band had me just about rolling, it was so unbelievably and unspeakably bad

The Sludge
October 29th 2006

This can't be that bad, I mean with a song title like "There's No Penguins In Alaska."

ToWhatEnd
October 29th 2006

This is actually a great record. A few listens are needed to fully grasp that though.

October 29th 2006

well, it's nice to know that i like bad music. misfit me. yay.

The Jungler
October 29th 2006

Hey, this doesn't seem bad.
Nice review.

cbmartinez
October 29th 2006

Probably on my bottom five bands. Everyone blows a load about how creative they are when they are just fucking terrible. They don't have a single redeeming quality in my eyes.

Pretty good review.

TheMisterBungle

I'm getting this soon

godLike
October 29th 2006

A musically overkill, a bit to creative IMO, doesn't sounds "excellent" at all. "Baby, You Wouldn't Last A Minunte On The Creek" is a good song though.

October 30th 2006

well, thats cool, atleast some other people like these guys

Firecracker
October 31st 2006

Recently been introduced to this band, took a while to get into, but I love the piano, and after a few listens it really grew on me and now I really like it.

The vocals are brilliant aswell, a highly talented guy.
The guitar rifs and stuff combine with the vocals so well and it's good.

Highlights: All Nereids Beware, There Are No Penguins In Alaska

iamrockzorz
October 31st 2006

You should have just reviewed the re release, it seems kinda redundant when two people write reviews on the same album if they both hold it in the same esteem.

Okay review, cd is good

November 1st 2006

well, if i did the re-release, it would have been the same, except i would have mentioned 3 more songs, which i did, so i pretty much did review the re-release, i just didnt submit it as the re-release.

iamrockzorz
November 2nd 2006

hey! look at that, you did. I didn't actually read all of it, sorry.

November 3rd 2006

you're forgiven, but dont let it happen again.

Kid A
November 13th 2006

seems i like shit music. ah well. me likes

The_One
November 25th 2006

This music is so crazy and disorganized. But I dig it. Haha.