Fall Out Boy
My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side...

by Blair Chopin USER (107 Reviews)
October 10th, 2006 | 16 replies | 5,779 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Having a great first EP is about as hard as having a great first season of a TV show. Sure, your ideas are raw and your voice and beats are new to everyone, but how are you going to get a nation of people to worship you? And when the production and instrumental work isn't there how are you going to even get close to releasing an EP that will get you signed by a good record company? Well, what you do is release an all-acoustic emotion filled EP, like Fall Out Boy did with "My Heart Will Always Be The B-side Of My Tongue". I have to admit the new Fall Out Boy [From Under The Cork Tree] lacks the element that this EP definitely has. The raw emotion was every song sounds like an acoustic jam session is present on this CD unlike on any other Fall Out Boy CD. Me being a long time fan of this band I have to say that this is there best overall CD that they have released.

"My Heart Is The Worst Kind Of Weapon", is the best song Fall Out Boy has released. The acoustic beat changes pace throughout the song, going higher and lower depending on rather it is the surrounding line or the chorus. The beat basically goes higher in the chorus and a little bit lower which makes the lyrics flow at a shotgun quick pace. The catchiest ness of this song of this song is incredible and the chorus is one of the best Fall Out Boy have written. But overall with a very good beat, lighting quick surrounding lines, and a great chorus this has to be one of Fall Out Boy's best songs. 5/5

"It's Not A Side Effect Of Cocaine, I Am Thinking It Must Be Love", keeps the same principal of beat as the opening track but with a little bit faster in the chorus and a little bit slower in the surrounding lines. But along with having the best song title in Fall Out Boy history, it has a really good instrumental pre-chorus that leads into the chorus perfectly. The chorus gets faster towards the end, as do the lyrics. This is a very good song. 4.5/5

"Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner", the acoustic version is the version that should have appeared on "From Under The Cork Tree". On this version the song has a high pitched acoustic beat that never really changes throughout the song which makes the song sound perfect, it also makes the singer vocals match the tone. While on "From Under The Cork Tree", the drums are played to high and you can't even hear the singer’s vocals. The surrounding lines in this song are great and the chorus is just perfectly executed, it is also the first song on the album with a real good breakdown and it actually has background vocals, which again make the acoustic version, stand out over the album version. 4.7/5

"Love Will Tear Us Apart", shows us the talent Fall Out Boy has as the lead singer has to completely change his voice for "Love Will Tear Us Apart". The song features the singer hitting high notes, and singing in deep voice in the surrounding lines. The beat is great as it is quiet in the surrounding lines and there is an explosion towards the chorus. The chorus is one of the few moments of this acoustic EP that I say you could rock out to. Overall, this shows the talent Fall Out Boy has as they took on a tough beat and the singer faced a hard challenge for his voice and they still persevered. 4.4/5

"Grand Theft Autumn", is a Fall Out Boy classic and I thought that nothing could be better than the version on "Take This To Your Grave". But how about a version that has a dirty acoustic folk beat at the begging that sort of slows down into a soft song that changes beat from pre-chorus to chorus. The acoustic version of this song is unbelievable good and is a lot more memorable than the album version [even though that version is still good]. Even though the singers voice is a little bit messed up in the begging of the song it sounds a lot more like the album version at the end of the song. I never thought this would be a great closing song on "My Heart Will Be Always Be The B-side Of My Tongue", it seems just like a good ending we would want to an album. 5/5

Overall, Fall Out Boy couldn't have done a better job of putting together an acoustic EP. But like the first season of a TV show it needs a few tweaks in production and voice to be considered a classic EP. Maybe two or three more songs, a few more jam sessions, and a little bit more of emotion from the lead singer would have made this a classic. But for an opening EP from a pop-punk band I really haven't listened to any better.

Pros:
All acoustic
Some of Fall Out Boy's best songs and B-sides
The changing beat makes the album songs; sound better than the album versions

Cons:
Not enough emotion in some parts of these songs
Can sound a bit rough

Download: My Heart Is The Worst Kind Of Weapon; Love Will Tear Us Apart, Grand Theft Autumn.

Soundtrack Seeking a Friend for the End of the WorldThe Avett Brothers The Carpenter
Nick Drake Bryter LayterM. Ward Transistor Radio
Yellowcard When You're Through Thinking, Say YesHouse Of Heroes The End is Not The End
3.3
surp23 (4.5)

1912 Comments

Great review, I'll have to check this out, especially if you think it's better than FUtCT.

October 10th 2006

It is a lot better because the beats aren't overproduced like on FUTCT and all of the tracks are acoustic. Those first two tracks are great to.

So yeah I would check this out.

1912 Comments

Cool, and the music store nearby should have this, they tend to have a ton of EPs.

EDIT: Do you recommend any of their full-length albums?This Message Edited On 10.10.06

RottedFlesh
October 10th 2006

Ugh hate the band...but i honestly gotta admit they sound a lil better on this c.d. than there others.

MrKite
October 10th 2006

this has a really shitty name. good review though

Cravinov13
October 10th 2006

Dear god no more. No more Fall out Boy. PLEASE!!!!! (good review though)This Message Edited On 10.10.06

Pyramidman

Take This To Your Grave is better

October 10th 2006

Otisbum I would get Take This To Your Grave before this to be completely honest.... This is more of a treat when you've heard everything the band has to offer.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

I hate this band. Good review though.

1912 Comments

@Wildcat: Great, I'll be sure to get it first then. Thanks a lot.

1917
October 11th 2006

I like how you overrate everything.

CanonInD
October 11th 2006

44 reviews and you're still doing track by tracks?

October 11th 2006

Na CannonInD I had been doing overalls I just figured i do a t-b-t for this one.

CanonInD

mkay

astrel
February 6th 2007

I just listened to Fall Out Boy's cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart, and I think it would make Ian Curtis kill himself...again...

astrel