Blind Guardian
A Twist in the Myth

by Shadows USER (89 Reviews)
September 5th, 2006 | 63 replies | 14,729 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Dear god, how rare is good power metal anymore? While metal itself is flourishing in a great many forms across the world, power metal specifically seems to be a bit lagging. Metal bands seem to be gravitating more towards the Americanized metalcore sound or a relative of death metal while the other quality metal genres – thrash, black, power and the like – fall behind in creativity and support. Thank the valkyries for bands like Blind Guardian, a German power metal quartet who hasn’t dropped their technique for decades. Shifting through sounds including raw speed metal, classic power metal, epic symphonic metal, and now to a unique style all their own, Blind Guardian has been a sterling icon in the metal world for quite some time. Few bands can match this kind of consistency and originality. Three years ago they released their highly controversial album A Night at the Opera, an album that showed their experimentation in intricate symphonic metal arrangements. While the opinion of the masses was general popular, no one knew where the band could possibly go from there. With songs like And Then There Was Silence, it seemed as though Blind Guardian had used their entire bank of symphonic ideas on A Night at the Opera.

It has been said that "faith can move mountains". All that can be said in return is that Blind Guardian has surely moved mountains this time around. A Twist in the Myth is easily one of the greatest albums, bar none, of 2006.

If any metal band can be called the single most reliable, consistent, creative, and all-around best band ever, Blind Guardian is it. Their progressive experimentation on each album is what keeps their 22 year reign exciting through every move they make. After doing the speed metal, power metal, symphonic metal, and throwing in progressive elements here and there, A Twist in the Myth comes along as a sort of musical blend of everything. Twist is arguably the most hard-edged Blind Guardian album yet, featuring powerfully heavy songs such as Another Stranger Me and The Edge, both boasting sing-along metal choruses and epic climaxes topped with the much-needed André Olbrich guitar solos.

The entire album seems to follow that trend of belligerent epic power metal. The album opener This Will Never End is a perfect individual insight into the album, as it features the atmosphere, technicality, melody, and brutality that the proceeding music is comprised of. Otherland and Turn the Page both follow paths of the unnamable atmosphere that flows through A Twist in the Myth, oftentimes delving into the world of folk metal (the latter of which sounds as though it could’ve been sung at an old pub somewhere). Carrying on the Blind Guardian tradition of forestry in music is Skalds and Shadows, an evident successor to The Bard’s Song, a band classic.

Strewn throughout A Twist in the Myth are songs rich in a form of emotion that metal bands rarely exhibit. The first single Fly is six of the most dreamlike minutes any Blind Guardian fan will experience, bearing absolutely gorgeous vocals by the mythical Hansi Kursch. Similarly, Dead Sound of Misery, one of them many variations of Fly that the band had written during the album’s initial stages, is made darker by the enclosed captivating vocal melodies singing, "the blood of sirens, on my hands; I can wash away". Meanwhile, Straight Through the Mirror seems to be a throwback to the classic Nightfall in Middle-Earth style power metal, featuring lead-guitar abound with the album’s most distinctive vocal melodies. Bringing up the album’s sappiest and needless to say weakest point is Carry the Blessed Hom, an overtly emotional yet undeniably Blind Guardian song that seems to miss the mark that A Twist in the Myth has set. With somber clean guitars echoing, The New Order closes with emotionally entrancing guitar solos and catchy metal riffs.

Metal in the modern times will not likely see a release as subtly significant as A Twist in the Myth. A genre has never seemed so secure while at the same time so unpredictable. If listeners thought that St. Anger syndrome was inevitable for bands who have been around that long, Blind Guardian’s eighth full length will more than change their minds. Can A Twist in the Myth be hailed as the best Blind Guardian album? Will it become a classic? Both of those are very possible. A Twist in the Myth is, for metalheads or fans of music in general, a beyond solid album with unique tinctures and enthralling substance.

Recommended songs:
Personal Note: it’s extremely hard for me to single out songs on this album. I’ll try to star the ones I consider to be the best of the best, but keep in mind this is one of the strongest 4.5 ratings I’ve given.
- This Will Never End*

OllieS (3.5)

Jorn van Schaïk (4.5)

Mikesn

Damn it SF, I was just about to do this. :p

Good job, none the less.

September 5th 2006

man i cant wait to get this. nice job SF i always enjoy reading your reviews. I've herd Another Stranger Me on youtube and was a little worried cause the song didnt catch my fancy, but knowing Unsighted Keepers like i know them i won't be dissapointed.

ChrisAdlerisGod

south_of_heaven 11

Cool review...
/goes back to sleep while listening to 'A Matter of Life and Death' because it is beautiful.

September 5th 2006

[quote=ChrisAdlerisGod] Would this be the album to buy if you are gettting tino this band?? Cause ive been meaning to get some power metal lately and these guys seem pretty good.[/quote]

Well sense i havent herd it i couldnt give you a yes or no answer but it would be a safe bet to start off with Imaginations From the Other Side, Nightfall In Middle Earth , or A Night at the Opera. my three personal favorite BG albums
edited for posterity This Message Edited On 09.05.06

Shadows
September 5th 2006

For someone first getting into the band I'd recommend albums like Somewhere Far Beyond, Nightfall in Middle-Earth, and A Night at the Opera.

But definitely get this. It's unbelievably good. Thanks for the sweet words, everyone.

September 5th 2006

This album is fantastic and better than my life.

September 5th 2006

ooooooh now im all excited, but its to late to run out to Best Buy This Message Edited On 09.05.06

Thor
September 5th 2006

Wow, another excellent review. I don't ever expect anything less.

I must say, this is probably the best power metal album cover I have ever come across. I get pumped up by just looking at it.

I'll be getting this soon.

THIS REVIEW NEEDS MORE EXPOSURE SO EXPOSURE

pixiesfanyo
September 5th 2006

Yes, thank the "valkyries" for yet another metal band that does the same thing over and over again.

ugh.

ugh...

UGGHHHH

[font=12] MY GOD SITS ON A MOUNTAIN AND LAUGHS AT YOUR GOD[/FONT]

September 5th 2006

I seem to be gathering that pixies and Shadows share an extremely tiny amount of similar music interest.
Anyways, it's different enough than their other material for me. Admittedly, I'm an easy guy to please though =/.

pixiesfanyo
September 5th 2006

I guess when it comes to music, I'm just like a girl trying to get an orgasm.

September 5th 2006

And I'm the girl who climaxes buying shoes...
Um on topic yeah the cover art is good but not as good as A Nightfall in Middle Earth. Thats pretty dorktastic.

September 5th 2006

well im listening to This will Never End right now, and i need a new pair of pants.

Mikesn
September 5th 2006

This Will Never End is great. Powerful track.

Shadows
September 5th 2006

Many people said they were disppointed by Fly when it was first released, but I love that song beyond belief. The chorus is so relaxing. Plus I have songs like The Edge to balance it out.

September 5th 2006

well after 7 songs i was convinced that this was an instant classic in power metal, and the last 5 songs did nothing to deter that opinion. If ever you have had the tiniest intrest in Power Metal i would have to strongly suggest this album. A Twist in the Myth makes grown men cry, babies giggle, and it makes Conan pump his fist in the air in triumph.

5/5

Intransit
September 5th 2006

great work, Im going to turn in my coins tommorrow to order this and A matter of life and death on amazon.