Lacuna Coil
Karmacode

by Ian USER (107 Reviews)
August 7th, 2006 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Quite frankly, I’m disappointed with “Karma Code”, Lacuna Coil’s latest album. I was expecting something vibrant, and refreshing, but all I ended up with was a couple decent songs that were at the forefront of the record and then abysmal, repetitive songs that seemed lazily written. In fact, the first single off the metal band’s album, “Our Truth” is really the only worthwhile song on the album. Front woman Christina Scabbia is a wonderful singer, or so I thought. Even though her effort on the first single seems unique and beautiful, just about every other song for some reason is the complete opposite. Even after sitting down with it once a week for several weeks it still never really grew on me. However male vocalist, Andrea, surprised me by taking a more active role than I thought he would. His performance counterbalances Christina’s slightly and makes some songs more enjoyable than they would have been. What really hurts “Karma Code” however is the repetitive, heavy guitar riffs and overall structure of the songs. It’s not a surprise that a cover of Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy The Silence” is included because the band themselves must have realized that something was amiss. It’s a shame they couldn’t have chosen something else to cover as it’s been covered at least five other times in the last year, but Christina does at least add a slightly different perspective with her singing. Next time Lacuna Coil is in the studio they need to probably take their time with writing a record not so drivel, but for now I’m afraid that the best I can say of this album is that it’s not entirely bad, but just average.

Pros:
+Male singer Andrea contributes positively
+“Out Truth”
+Cover of “Enjoy The Silence” brings a new perspective to the song with female vocals

Cons:
-Christina Scabbia’s vocals are boring
-Songs are repetitive and lazily written

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You
3.2
good
Starblind (1)
As if we needed another reason to say "Comalies" is a masterpiece....

kintups (3.5)
Despite it's mainstream shortcomings, Lacuna Coil has found where it belongs....

radianteclipse (2)

Christina Scabbia’s vocals are boring

May God smite you. This review was poor too.

I think this album is very good, once you get past the fact that Lacuna Coil changed their sund completly.

Storm In A Teacup
August 7th 2006

What was wrong with it, Cravinov?

August 7th 2006

Oh...I see where your going with this. So long as they keep up the writing quality I think its a good idea.

August 7th 2006

It didn't do it for me. It's very quick, undetailed, no 'meat on the bones' as my
friend would say. New readers would know next to nothing about the band from
this review, I thought it was very uninformitave, and it's 'Karmacode', not 'Karma
Code'.This Message Edited On 08.07.06

August 7th 2006

Thats a bit unfair, I'd say he knew a good enough amount to review it.

August 7th 2006

Not for me. I dunno, I like very informative reviews.

August 7th 2006

I saw the music video for our truth in italy on German MTV. It was wierd to see a girl
singing in a metal band, and even wierder to see two singers. It was an okay song if i
remember corectly.This Message Edited On 08.07.06

August 7th 2006

There is nothing weird or uncommon about that.

August 7th 2006

Well, it wasn't too wierd, but what other metal bands have female singers? I dont know of any.

Arch Enemy, I know does.

Mikesn

Nightwish does too.

August 7th 2006

Arch Enemy, Within Temptation, Theatre Of Tragedy, Tristania, Leaves Eyes, Cradle
Of Filth (sometimes), Kidneythieves, Nightwish, My Ruin, Otep, Crisis, Light This
City, Made Out Of Babies, Novembers Doom and so on all have female singers in
them.This Message Edited On 08.07.06

Shattered_Future

Novembers Doom has a female singer? Did Kuhr get a sex change then? :lol:

By the way, mate...

That just scratches the surface of female fronted metal bands out there. Granted, not all of them are good, but it's not at all uncommon.

August 7th 2006

Sorry. My mistake. I think I was thinking of someting else when I said that.

icaught fire444
August 7th 2006

Everytime i'm in the store I can't help but look at this album because it looks exactly like the roses Are Red album. Are these guys worth checking out?

Storm In A Teacup

Read the review, der.

Channing
August 7th 2006

You kept saying "Karma Code" throughout the whole review and I thought that was kind of annoying. Good writing though.

I like what I've heard from this band.

gigi666
August 8th 2006

this review is quite poor compared to your other ones....

ok ok I see.

August 8th 2006

Yes they are, but I would look to there older stuff first like In A Reverie or Unleashed Memories. I think this CD is above average, but COmalies is better then this.