Metallica
St. Anger

good

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (56 Reviews)
August 5th, 2006 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Metallica deliver something different on this album that isn't completely bad, but could've been much much better.

This guy walks into a music store. Like usual he heads toward the Metal section and looks around. He sees Metallica, a band he’s been dying to check out because he’s heard so much about them. He sees St-Anger and notices it’s their most recent album. Not having heard all the sh*t about it, he buys it. He listens to it once and really likes it (he can’t compare with older Metallica because he’s never heard it). He decides to get another Metallica cd. So he goes back to the music store and buys Master of Puppets. He realises how much better it is than St-Anger but still likes St-Anger because it’s that album that got him into the band and it really isn’t as bad as most people make it out to be.

That is basically what happened to me.

Now on with the review

I’m going to talk about some things that have been mentioned about the album and give my opinion on them.

The drumming
I don’t know if Lars thought the album would sound more like thrash metal if his drums sounded like garbage cans, but he played around with the tuning and somehow got that exact sound out of them. But surprisingly, they do sound really nice on some songs(i.e Frantic(mostly in the intro), Dirty Windows…). They give them a unique sound that you haven’t heard on another metal album before. But they do get annoying after a few listens. They could've made a much more interesting album if they had used regular snare drums for most of the album and thrown in a few of the "garbage cans" here and there.
Lars’ drumming hasn’t changed much though. He still uses mostly snares and cymbals in his songs. For a drummer or his reknown his playing isn't very original or varied.

The guitar work
The lack of solos was a big let-down for all Metallica fans. Solos can often add some good to even the most boring albums. They definitely would’ve helped here. But… this album does have some memorable riffs. I still love the opening riff for St-Anger(the song) even after hearing it so many times.
They seemed to have focused on a crunchier, "heavier" sound for the guitars, unlike anything they've done before. But to fit that sound, they let go of much of the technicality in their playing. Most of the time it doesn't sound like they have a lead guitarist at all. It could've been James Hetfield playing alone all along and we probably wouldn't have noticed much change.

The vocals
James vocals have gotten a lot harsher since the last album but it kinda fits their new sound. They will be a turn-off to most older fans.
I have heard many times that he sings out of key but I have never noticed that problem while listening to this album.
BUT when James takes that high voice in Invisible Kid (around 5:04 in the song) i can't help cringing at the sound.

Other
Some songs (St-Anger and Invisible Kid mostly) are only 7-8 minutes because they repeat the same thing over and over. At first they sound nice but after they get really annoying. The album is most enjoyable when you have long intervals between listenings.

I'm assuming Bob Rock did a good job on the bass because it is almost inaudible throughout the album. From what I could hear here and there, he's definately not as good as Cliff or Jason but did a good job while the band was looking for a full-time bassist.

Recommended tracks
-Some Kind Of Monster
-Shoot Me Again
-The Unnamed Feeling

Metallica really took a chance with this album and got a lot of sh*t because of it. This album isn’t so bad but definitely isn’t up to par with their older stuff.

My verdict: 3/5

SCREAM!

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
poor

August 5th 2006

This is my first non-tbt review so i hope it's alright.

gigi666

not bad for your 1st non-tbt review but its lacking detail

Neoteric
August 5th 2006

That's it, I'm properly reviewing this.

MyRamona
August 5th 2006

^^Thank god. Your review was very undetailed, and all you reviewed was general instrument info. Try to make your review informative in all areas.

metallicaman8

decent review

....IM IN ITALY

south_of_heaven 11
August 5th 2006

omgz omgz omgz!!!111 itz metallicamn8!!
yea...er...Scream...er...borderline decent review man...go into a lot more detail next time...

August 5th 2006

Pretty good review for your first non-tbt, but it needed more detail, almost like you wrote it a little too fast, I thought. A little more work and this would be very nice, I think.

Ive only heard the title track from this album and it was barely alright. I certainly dont beleive I will be picking this up...

Drunken Viking
August 5th 2006

Heh, I liked the review. Maybe just a bit more detail, but it was a nice quick read that didn't take up hours of my time. I vote yes!

August 5th 2006

almost like you wrote it a little too fast

Yeah, i did write it pretty quickly. Should've taken more time.

And i'm glad you like it DV.

Edit:Oh shit. I get 1 neg and my approval rating goes from 100 to 88. That sucksThis Message Edited On 08.05.06

Never mind^^
Its back to 91

victim of changes
August 5th 2006

Trujillo wasnt on this album, that was producer bob rock.

August 5th 2006

Ohh... better fix that. Thanks for the info.

gigi666
August 5th 2006

lol sorry it was me who negged it but now, i dont want to break your heart so i said yes! hihihi

El_Goodo
August 5th 2006

I agree with your viewpoint on the album! It does not deserve less than a 3.

August 5th 2006

Neg it if you want, its your opinion on the review.
I was just unhappy that after 1 vote it went down 12%.

Oddsen
August 7th 2006

This was my first Metallica album, which is why i like. It really isn't that bad.

AnyColour74
September 5th 2006

i think im going to check this out. good review scream

September 5th 2006

You should check out Master of Puppets or The Black Album if youre getting into Metallica

metallicaman8
September 5th 2006

Not to mention RTL and KEA.

ToWhatEnd
September 5th 2006

First 5 Metallica albums = the only ones I listen to fully. S&M is sweet stuff as well though, that DVD is epic.