Slipknot
Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

by Channing Freeman STAFF
July 25th, 2006 | 589 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

It took me awhile to get into Slipknot. Their self-titled album was just alright, and Iowa is one of my least-favorite CDs of all time. I hated the gimmicks and the masks; I thought that they were just to distract people from their bad music. So when I heard about their latest effort, Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses), I was, to say the least, skeptical. When I finally listened to the album, I was pleasantly surprised. I was glad to see that they had, for the most part, left their rapping nu-metal past behind and opted for a more straight-forward rock/metal approach. Vol. 3 is definitely a giant step in the right direction, and I can only hope that they continue to go down this musical path.

Positives

One great thing about this album is the variety. There are heavy songs, acoustic songs, and even an experimental song (which isn't that good, but hey, at least they were willing to try it). I never thought that I would hear a good acoustic song from Slipknot, let alone two on the same album. Acoustic Slipknot songs could have been a disaster, but they pulled it off very well. From the uplifting chorus of Circle to the mellow, depressing feel of Vermilion Pt. 2, I look forward to more of Slipknot's acoustic work. In fact, the slower songs on here are my favorites. It's nice to see that the members of Slipknot didn't feel like they needed to keep making the same album over and over again to please their longtime fans.

They don't disappoint with most of the heavier songs either. On this album, they seem to have left their "make music to shock the masses" shtick behind, and actually put some time and thought into the music. Corey Taylor's lyrics and vocals are great, unlike their previous efforts. Corey has developed a great voice; his vocal work on this album is some of my favorite vocal work of all time. The musicianship is a major step up as well. Joey Jordison's drumming has always been good, but he reached a whole new level for this CD. Mick Thomson and Jim Root's guitar playing take center stage here. Their previous albums were devoid of solos; Vol. 3 remedies that nicely with some great shredding solos.

Positive Songs

The Blister Exists - This song is an all-around great job from the main Slipknot members. The drumming is great, the riffs are heavy, and the vocal work is amazing.
Duality - The rapped verses are done very well, unlike the rapping on their other albums, and the chorus is flat-out remarkable. This song floors me every time.
Both Vermilions - Vermilion has great spoken verses with good lyrics, a sweet guitar solo, and a climax that will awe you. Vermilion Pt. 2 is a very depressing, acoustic song, with more great singing from Corey.
Danger, Keep Away - This is different from anything Slipknot has ever done. This song is driven by a dark, gothic sounding piano and nice drumwork from Joey. The background vocals are done very well here.

Negatives

The biggest thing that I don't like about this album is that some of the songs start to sound the same after a while. This is mostly referring to the heavier songs. Tracks like Three Nil, Opium of the People, and Welcome, all sound very similar. It seems to me like even though Slipknot was willing to go in a different direction with their music, they were still somewhat reluctant to leave the old sound behind entirely. I'm not saying that they should have made the album so different to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell that it's Slipknot, but some songs on here just feel forced. I also feel that the scream verse/sing chorus formula was used a little too much, which also contributes to the "samey" feel of the album. Another complaint, and this is true with a lot of modern albums, is that the bass is inaudible most of the time. Paul Gray is a decent bassist, and they should have highlighted his playing a little more on this album.

Negative Songs

Prelude 3.0 - The intro to the album is cool at the end, but it takes way too long to pick up. The first two minutes are quite boring.
Opium of the People - Great guitar in the beginning, but aside from that, this one doesn't really offer anything new.
Virus of Life - Obviously an experimental song. I'm glad to see Slipknot experimenting, but this song ends up being very dull and uninteresting.

Overall, Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) is a great album from Slipknot. I didn't expect this to be good at all, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I hope that Slipknot continues to improve and build upon their new-found musical sound, and I anticipate their next release.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus

/editing

July 25th 2006

While not needed, this was a good review. If you know how, you should get rid of those symbols.

I actually like this CD alot. I'm gonna dig it out again.

Alright, it's edited.

July 25th 2006

Good, I think I forgot to vote.

yuuyuThis Message Edited On 01.20.08

bicepman4000

deleted, ovoiding duplication...This Message Edited On 07.25.06

bicepman4000
July 25th 2006

I'm of the same opinion, their first (major) album has some good points but was average and over hyped, Iowa was crapola, and this is a step towards a mature metal band who don't have to rely on stupid fanboys being idiots. Waiting for them to do what Mudvayne did, and take off the masks to put their music on centre stage rather than their image.

July 25th 2006

I agree, they should lose the masks.

FlawedPerfection
July 25th 2006

Gawd I hate Slipknot. I've heard this entire album at one point or another, and the only songs I found enjoyable at the least were the Vermillions.

Good review, as always, though.

(Psst, you've been slacking off, pos slave).

July 25th 2006

If you like the Vermilions, I like you.

(Psst, I haven't been looking at new reviews lately. I'll get on that now.)

July 25th 2006

The Vermilions are awesome.

I agree, they should lose the masks.
Yeah, in that one video it seemed like they were hinting at it...

(Psst, I wish I had a pos slave)

FlawedPerfection

It's mutual slavery.

(wtf?)

asdfThis Message Edited On 01.20.08

The Sludge
July 25th 2006

Wow, nice format, its easy on the eyes while still being very infomative.

July 25th 2006

Thanks, Sludge. I wanted to try something new with this one, and I'm glad it worked out.

south_of_heaven 11
July 25th 2006

I love both Vermillions. I think I like 1 a bit more than 2 though. And Pulse of the Maggots is my favorite song on here, but then those two follow in respectively.
Good review man, I dig the layout.
PS: The billboard still says 'Slayer'. Long live Slayer.

July 25th 2006

Pulse of the Maggots is what I use to get pumped up before my band plays a show.

July 25th 2006

PS: The billboard still says 'Slayer'. Long live Slayer.

lol

I don't like Pulse of the Maggots too much. The verses and chorus are great, but the "Say it again" parts and the "Do you want it? YES!!" parts are annoying.

south_of_heaven 11
July 25th 2006

Yea, like Jungler, I like that song before games. The chanting parts I dig at that time, but when I'm just by myself, I can see how they'd get annoying.

July 25th 2006

I probably will never use this format again, but it was a nice change.

Their self titled and Iowa are cheesy, not this one IMO.