Napalm Death
Enemy of the Music Business

by SubtleDagger USER (35 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 34 replies | 10,577 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Napalm Death are:
Mark "Barney" Greenway - Vocals
Jesse Pintado - Guitar
Mitch Harris - Guitar
Shane Embury - Bass
Danny Herrera - Drums

Formed in England in 1982, Napalm Death are considered the originators of grindcore and one of the most influentual bands in metal. Their debut album, Scum, showcased them as an unrelenting metal act, with their mission clearly being the sacrifice of convention for brutal heaviness. Over the course of their still-spanning career, they have embraced just about every heavy style of music and still maintain their trademark sound.

Enemy Of The Music Business is their tenth LP, concerning their departure from the record company for all of their previous albums, Earache Records. While the last few albums from Napalm Death were just as heavy as their others, they weren't exactly departures or highlights of the band's discography. This album is a powerful return to their awesome speed and amazing guitarwork that seemed a bit difficult to attain on their former records.

And we're not talking drop-tuned boring riffs and mid-tempo death metal drumming. This is grind at its best, and when not touching on that genre, Napalm Death turn to a thrashing intensity. There are few slow moments; all of these songs are relentless, and when they really let loose, they're even more overpowering: the drumming becomes a fantastically hasty doop-chick-doop-chick coupled with pounding double bass and the guitarwork is not only quickened but somehow melodic, ripping out awkward, technical chords. There are even bass sections, something you don't find in a great quantity with guitar-oriented metal.

All the while, Barney's voice is a tearing growl that perfectly fits the madness accompanying it. While most metal bands would be content with writing the typical Satanic or gruesomely violent lyrics, Napalm Death's lyrics concern social and political commentary; at least, when it's not concerned with the abuse from their former label. These songs are intelligently written, with lines like, "Cloaks of sickness keeping us sweet/ Delusional blackness, fictitional madness/ Visionary blackness, traps are set/ Revolving mind-doors conspiring our downfall" ("Mechanics Of Deceit"). This is not your typical lyrical fare.

The only foreseeable problem with Enemy of The Music Business is that when played as background music or just to be played, it feels repetitive and boring. It's only when you turn it up, listen to the nuances, and pay attention that you hear the awesome skill and melodic guitar parts that make the entire album worth hearing. Every member of Napalm Death contributes to the overall feel, and it makes for an excellent experience in ehavy music.

Recommended Tracks: "Take The Poison", "Constitutional Hell", "Can't Play, Won't Pay", "Blunt Against The Cutting Edge", "C.S. (Conservative Shithead) Part 2"

Rating: 4.5/5

Saccharine Trust Surviving You, AlwaysFrodus And We Washed Our Weapons In The Sea
Inade The Crackling of the AnonymousComus First Utterance
Upsilon Acrux Last Train OutFlying Lotus 1983

Iai
August 9th 2004

Good review. You were spot on with that comment about them seeming repetitive and boring to a casual listener. I used to think that to, but now I love 'em.

When was this released? It slipped under my radar completely.

August 9th 2004

2001, right after their collaboration EP with Coalesce. The one after this one wasn't so hot, though, so this is their last really awesome album I heard. Hope they do another awesome one soon.

August 9th 2004

Good review, and a good band to choose to review. I was actually thinking of reviewing Scum recently, but put it on the back burner to my others for now.

August 9th 2004

I was hoping to do Scum. Have to order it, though.

August 9th 2004

You go ahead with it, I've got plenty of others planned as it is. I just wanted to see it reviewed, since it's a classic album. Should suit your style of reviewing as well..28 tracks in 33 minutes doesn't lend itself to track by track.

August 9th 2004

To be fair, that time-to-track number ratio is skewed by "You Suffer".

By the way, I did your song in Forced Listening.

August 9th 2004

Yeah, I noticed. Have you heard Botch before? Afghamistam is pretty much the most out-of-character song ever..normally they play something of a precursor to the sound of bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge or Isis, very math-metal/grindcore type of thing.

Yeah, I have.

More people need to listen to Napalm Death, which is why I'm putting songs i Forced Listening.

Apocalyptic Raids
February 19th 2007

Great album this.

(The Public Gets) What The Public Doesn't Want is probably my favourite song.

Meatplow
August 16th 2009

this is a pretty good album

i'm probably in the minority here but I don't think their 90's stuff was half as bad as some make it out to be, everyone seems to keep claiming a return to form from oblivion with their 2000 material but their albums have felt fairly consistent in quality to me with a few highlights amongst the mediocrity.

i'm looking forward to getting to their latest three, which seem to have gotten quite a bit of praise

February 7th 2010

Their 90s stuff is their best and they only continue to get better with age.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

FadeToBlack
August 6th 2010

OPPORTUNIST SCUM!

FadeToBlack
March 29th 2011

this is the best of their newer stuff

ShadowRemains

19442 Comments

scum

eternium
March 29th 2011

Band is better for its contributions than its actual music.

March 29th 2011

What? You obviously skipped over Fear, Emptiness, Despair, Order of the Leech, Smear Campaign and Time Waits For No Slave.

TheNotrap
January 8th 2012

Album slays.

stabbler

in their top 5 for mine...maybe top 3

April 12th 2012

2nd best next to Fear, Emptiness, Despair.

Fluttertrank