Immortal Technique
Revolutionary Volume 2

by Leprechauns1021 USER (2 Reviews)
June 27th, 2006 | 34 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Immortal Technique is a rapper of a dying breed. He doesnt rap about the gangster life, or his pimp style of living like most of todays up and coming rap artists. In fact his style is almost the complete opposite of this. He raps about politics, racism, religion, and daily struggle that people go through, as much of the early rap artist did (Public Enemy and Nas for example). He was born in Peru, but moved to America in order to escape a civil war in his homeland. He was arrested on an account of assault in 1996, and while in jail he studied politics and wrote some songs for his first album "Revolutionary Volume 1". He is not currently signed to any major record label, because he feels doing so would restrict his lyrics, and he will not change about what he rhymes just to be a mainstream rapper. He prides himself on speaking the truth, no matter how ruthless it may be. Some people may think he goes too far in some of his lyrics, but he persists that it is the truth and nothing more.
Revolutionary Volume 2 is Immortal Technique's 2nd album, and in this album he deals with many of todays issues, such as the governments involvement in 9/11, and the racism surrounding the Middle East.

1.Revolutionary Intro-The CD starts out with a recording of Mumia Abu-Jamal, a deathrow inmate who many believed to be innocent, who they believe was only arrested for political reasons. Mumia says on the track that this is "truth in the form of hip-hop". The intro gives you a feeling of what the album if going to be like.
(3/5)

2.Point of No Return-In this track Technique raps about the turmoil facing the world today. This track does not focus on religion or politics, but rather both. It tells about how "once you cross the line there is no coming back". He says that hes not going to go back on what he says, and hes always going to say what he believes. Good track overall.
(4.5/5)

3. Peruvian Cocaine-This song is about the drug industry in Peru, and how it is the only way for some people in the counrty to get by. It shows the side of drug dealers, drug users, and workers that are abused in the plantations. This track also features a few other rappers, whose names I do not know. The song ends on a recording of Welsey Snips in "New Jack City". Pretty good track, which also features some lesser known talents.
(3.5/5)

4.Harlem Streets-Harlem Streets is about the daily struggle of people living in the ghettos of America. It shows how drugs are the only way out for most people, and the government is doing nothing to help their own people in turmoil. This is one of the best tracks on here.
(5/5)

5.Obnoxious-This song does not have too much of a political or religious point in it like the others, but he does sneak in some verses. This is mainly about how the world feels about his rawness, and in turn how he feels about the world. This isnt one of the good tracks on here in my opinion.
(2/5)

6. The Message and the Money-This isnt a rap as much as it is him talking over a beat, much like "The Poverty of Philosophy" on Volume 1.He is talking about how rappers are being used by record labels and how the agents just do whatever they can for the most money, regardless of what the rapper wants. You have to listen to the lyrics to this one to understand it, but if you do it has a pretty good message.
(4/5)

7. Industrial Revolution- Technique raps about the rise of Industry and people selling themselves out to get a few bucks. He also raps about how having a record deal or selling millions of records doesnt mean anything unless the album has a meaning to it.
(4/5)

8. Crossing the Boundary-This firts verse of this song is about crossing the boundary of what is accepted in culture, and having your own opinion about things. He talks about how people think questioning religion is wrong, and their ingnorance in thnking so. The second verse is more of Technique calling our other rappers, who think they're "real". The 3rd verse is more of the same, just insulting other people, not just other rappers this time though. It kind of seems that the first verse and the other two have different messages and belong on seprate tracks. Still a good track though.
(3.5/5)

9. Sierra Maestra-There is no actual rapping on this track. Its just instrumentals. Not horrible though. Its a nice intermission, letting you rest before he comes back with more rapping.
(2.5/5)

10. The 4th Branch-This is mainly about how the media is the 4th Branch of the government. The government uses the media to tell you everything and lie to you. It also deals with the ignorance of some religious groups, such as making Jesus out to be white, and calling all Muslims terrorists. Probably my favorits track on the whole CD.
(5/5)

11. Internally Bleeding- Internally Bleeding deals with all the problems facing Immortal Technique inside. It shows how he fights within himslef to find what the meaning of everything is. He doesnt know how to deal with his problems and as he searches for answers, it only opens up more questions.
(4/5)

12. Homeland And Hip Hop- This is another track where it is someone talking over a beat, but this time it is Mumia Abu Jamal. He talks about how homeland security is nothing but a word, and how hip-hop was born from a generation who felt that they were forsaken and betrayed.
(3.5/5)

13. The Cause Of Death-This track deals mainly with the suspicions of America being directly involved with 9/11. He says that if we were in the "terrorist's" place, we would have done the same thing. He gives reasons to his theory, such as how there would be no war with Iraq without 9/11, and how in the end, the war is going to make the big buisnesses more money. This song really makes you think about things.
(5/5)

14. Freedom Of Speech-As it was previously stated, Tech does not sign with labels because he wants to be free to speak his mind. "Freedom of Speech" basically tells how he is free to do whatever he wishes without the restricions of being signed to a label.
(3.5/5)

15. Leaving The Past- Probably my favorite Tech song overall. The soft beat and guitar in the back set a calm setting, which is different from most of his angry tracks. He raps about walking away from your mistakes and not looking back on them, and being able to leave your addictions or problems. He also uses some references to people being ignorant of others beliefs. Great song!
(5/5)

16. Truth's Razors-Very short track where Technique discusses how love is more important than sex.
(3/5)

17. You Never Know-This is a story of Techniques love for a girl who, unknown to him, has HIV. He falls in love with her, but when she finds out he loves her she leaves. Years later he returns to see her gone, and reads a letter left by her detailing all the reasons why she could not get close. This track is real emotional and the ending is unexpected.
(5/5)

18. One (Remix)-The CD finishes off with "One (Remix)" which features fellow rapper Akir. This song sort of involves all the messages displayed throughout the track. Poverty in the streets, war, love, political dominance. I feel this was a good way to end a great CD.
(4.5/5)

Everything considered this is probably a top 5 CD for me. Some of Technique's lyrics may be offensive, and they may be a little to raw for most people, but if you give the CD a chance and listen with an open mind, you can love the CD as much as I do. Although he discusses some touchy issues like religion and the government, he still manages to make a good point, while being as raw as possible. I do feel that some lyrics are a little too heavy and vulgar at times, and he does have a bit of an ego, but other than that this is a great CD.

Reccomended Downloads:
Point of No Return
Harlem Streets
4th Branch
Leaving the Past
Cause of Death
You Never Know

Hillary Clittounge (5)
I wrote this one for Mumia, stuck in the beast For people who, march in the streets, and struggle f...

erasedcitizen (3.5)

June 28th 2006

Yay first review! Give me some constructive criticism so I can do better ones in the future. Any suggestions are welcome.

stompybeardo
June 28th 2006

liked the review, got the album and like it a lot, maybe just talk about te beats and production a bit more (even though the main selling point is the lyrical skill).

Rams
June 28th 2006

Maybe for his next effort he can learn how to flow?

June 28th 2006

Well I think his flow isnt the main thing he is concerned with on this album (although I felt the album had flow). On main-stream rap, of course the flow and the beat are the best part, but most of the time these songs that "flow" have no message. But everyone has an opinion and not everyone is going to like this kind of rap.

204409
June 28th 2006

My brother was talking about this guy the other day. He sounds sweet. Likened him to Jedi Mind Tricks.

deathscreamingsheep
June 28th 2006

I kind of see the comparison with Jedi Mind Tricks, but they aren't really that alike. You should definately try a few tracks though.

Flagjacket
June 28th 2006

Nas doesn't rap about politics, and he isn't an early rapper. Neither is PE. Tech is good, but he's overrated by people unfamiliar with hip hop.

June 29th 2006

I didnt say that Nas rapped about politics I said that they were rappers who rapped about EITHER politics, racism, religion, and daily struggle that people go through. And PE did have a few political raps out there. but you did catch me on calling them early rappers, my mistake...but thanks for pointing it out.This Message Edited On 06.29.06

Interstate
June 30th 2006

This album is awesome. Full of great songs that make you think. I like this more than Volume 1 for some reason.

bigfave
November 28th 2007

He says thought provoking things here but there are about three bad tracks, and a few average ones. The problem with this album is that he has to say something thought provoking or it's pretty bad. This is due to his average flow and average (usually dim) beats. It doesn't give me the total package but it's still a good album that makes you think and gets you moody.

bigfave
November 28th 2007

Angel of Death is hot but not on any of his albums that I know of.

MonorailCat
July 9th 2008

I really love this album

foreverendeared
July 9th 2008

his lyrics are both thought provoking and catchy. that's the most important part of hip hop in my eyes and so many of today's artists fall far too short on the lyrical aspect

September 14th 2008

This album and Wu Tang albums make me glad that some rap/hip hop can be great.

Dance With The Devil and The Poverty Of Philosophy are outstanding.

Platonism
September 14th 2008

Neither of those songs are on this album. But this album is fantastic.

September 14th 2008

My Itunes labelled both of Vol.1 & 2 as one album (Vol.2) so I wasn't sure which one was which. My bad.This Message Edited On 09.14.08

Platonism
September 14th 2008

No problems. Check out Speak Your Mind on Vol. 1 too, if you're a fan of The Poverty of Philosophy.

September 14th 2008

Thanks, will do. I've heard all the tracks. I just don't know which album they're all from. I need to sort it.

FloodOfKings
October 14th 2008

can only listen to this album every once and a while O_o

System6669
February 28th 2009

Good Review, But I thought obnoxious was a great song. It doesnt have to be political to be good