The Lashes
Get It

1.0
awful

by Dylan Wachman USER (44 Reviews)
June 20th, 2006 | 12 replies | 3,995 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

The Lashes
Get It

Is it possible for a band to have schizophrenia? It seems as if The Lashes have copied almost every indie-pop band that hit it big in 2005. Their music is so un-original and sappy that it seems the band has no personality of its own. The most entertaining part about the whole band is listening to the vocalist put on a faux European accent and attempt to sing about heartbreak. The Lashes are disposable and terminally boring. Some call them ďcatchy", and thatís easy when one line is repeated about 20 times per song. It frightens me that this album is actually their major label debut, I weep for the future when I hear bands like this on the airwaves. That makes me wonder, which fashion-core twat did they blow backstage at a Ricky Martin show to get their signing? The same guy that gave them the nine or so hardware belts the guyís got on the album cover. Seattle doesnít usually produce such crap music. We all know where our beloved Fall of Troy and Soundgarden hailed from. Iím done with ranting for now, I need a breather. Not to mention the Mountain Dew that is screaming my name.

I managed to type that all in about one and a half minutes. Not out of typing skills, but the intense anger that this band gives me. To be honest, Iíve been planning on reviewing this album for quite some time. Itís been in my head for months. Sometimes Iíd lay in bed unable to sleep because I was stuck thinking on how I could utterly destroy this band with words. I also donít like to write negative reviews, because I donít like pissing people off with my opinion. So there I was, dreaming about angering everyone on MX, and then being held down and punched in the face by every member in the Pop/Punk thread. Iíve been dreading this review, but Iím going to give it my all. Oh yeah, this album was recommended to me by a girl that wouldnít leave me alone on Myspace. Yeah, pretty lame. I blocked that hoe.

For those of you that enjoy this album, I feel I must be more descriptive than my first paragraph up there. Basically, this paragraph will describe why Iíd rather someone pull the plug on me in the hospital than be forced to listen to this during bypass surgery. For one, the lyrics are absolute trash. Theyíre the most basic and elementary as can be. I wouldnít be surprised if 5th grade kids put on a show with these to tell you the truth. This is a line taken from the bandís hit song ďSometimes The Sun". ďSometimes the sun goes down/Sometimes it comes back up/I'm wondering which one you're watching now". Now Iím not going to even bother stressing that there is only one sun in the universe. The Lashes are just dying to sound like The Strokes or Hot Hot Heat and they know it. You can even sense that they attempt to begin songs quite Ėesquy of My Chemical Romance. The song ďNew Best Friend" sounds as if it could be an MCR song.

The instrumentation is simplistic. Iím sure that one or two of the songs on ďGet It" can go all the way through without changing its single rhythmic note. Iím also esteemed to say that ďPop Song" is the worst song that I have ever heard. The guitars in that song rip on a trillion songs by having that ďduh---dah-duh-clickity click click click" riff. For the curious ones out there, you can download the song to hear what I mean, but I recommend filling the ears with cottonballs to filter out the other sounds. Letís forget about that audible tragedy, and talk about the rest of the album. Well, basically itís the same epidemic that infected the rest of the album. Itís nothing new to the table. The sound is poppy, generic, and un-original.

The Lashes are a Hot-Topic orgasm. They are the most un-original band of 2006 and thus have released the worst album I have heard in a long time. Their music is all the same, and none of the songs touch a few seconds over four minutes (thank God). ďGet It" is an array of lame and simplistic songs about nothing. Whether the band members think there are two suns, or if they want to get into your party, itís what they write about. Iím not even sure if listening to this album is humane enough for the Iraqi prisoners. The point is, this album deserves no listening at all. There is not one redeeming track here for me to raise my rating any higher than a one. My God have mercy on every one of the band membersí souls.

Fat girls unite, because itís no longer cool to ride in a convertible blasting Simple Plan.

If Iím negged for sharing a personal and honest opinion, then Iíll spray fart in your cereal

Rancid Let's GoKaddisfly Do You Know People Can Fly?
Streetlight Manifesto Everything Goes NumbThe Briggs Leaving The Ways
Soundtrack A Clockwork OrangeBear vs. Shark Terrorhawk
1.8
poor

Pyramidman

well...
that was a very mean review
i woulnt know, but seeing as we share most opinion on music, you cant be that wrong
ill dl some later

Iluvatar
June 20th 2006

It was a well written rant. As a review, it lacks something.

June 20th 2006

I disagree. I ranted a lot, but I did cover a lot of the music in the review.

Iluvatar
June 20th 2006

You really only focused on it for two paragraphs. I'm not saying its a bad review, but it could use more music discussion instead of trashing their scene-ness and ideals and all that other superfluous stuff.

Zebra
June 20th 2006

This is a pretty good review. You could have possibly covered a few more songs but after hearing this band they are pretty bland and extremely generic. It's pretty hard to write one star reviews while still being informative, so you did a good job.

whj247

i love this cd

jessixcore
June 21st 2006

This is an alright album. It got really boring, really fast. Nice review, although it was EXTREMELY harsh.

June 21st 2006

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

DFelon204409
June 22nd 2006

I think the album cover could explain the 1 by itself.

June 22nd 2006

That's actually a good way to describe them.This Message Edited On 06.22.06

HangEmHigh
August 21st 2007

I saw these guys with The Living End and they were really catchy but almost to the point of annoyance. Really not that good except I kinda like A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody. (Review was kinda meh, didn't describe too much)

omgbecky
October 5th 2009

Great for when you want to listen to pop-pseudo rock. I used to love this album, but now I see it for what it is, lyrically shallow with a bit of bleh. Though, I think they've redeemed themselves a bit with their Thank You side A ep.