Girls Aloud
What Will The Neighbours Say?

by Stem/Long Stem USER (9 Reviews)
June 19th, 2006 | 6 replies | 2,678 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

A great improvement on their debut, What Will The Neighbours Say? actually goes further than that to become, shockingly enough, one of the best pop albums of the 21st century.

Or maybe it's not so shocking. Despite coming out of a reality TV show, their singles have been consistently excellent enough to make them the only real rivals to the Sugababes as Britain's best pure pop band. And singles are here in force, of course - they practically line up in single file to kick off the album, Joshua Tree-style. "The Show", "I'll Stand By You" (a Pretenders cover), "Jump" (another cover, this time from The Pointers Sisters), and "Wake Me Up" are all great songs. But the jewel in the crown, undoubtedly, is "Love Machine". Bouncy, slick, and catchy as all hell, it could serve as a lesson to all aspiring pop songwriters.

It's a testament to the strength of the material here that once the singles are out of the way, the quality doesn't really drop. "Deadlines & Diets" is actually pretty good as it goes, and could have been a single too. "Big Brother" just about succeeds too, despite a slightly dodgy lyrical concept. Speaking of lyrics, "Here We Go" (written by Lene from Aqua, fact fans!) is certainly ear-catching. 'I don't do sex, but I do do second base'. Yes please!

By dropping the club conceits and streamlining their sound, Girls Aloud have managed to craft an album here that won't just please their intended audience. I have little doubt I'm the only serious music lover who's been very impressed with this record. And rightly so - the pop album is in a sorry state, and we need records like this - fun, sexy, devoid of filler, melodic, easy on the ear - more than ever.

Girls Aloud Sound of the UndergroundDevendra Banhart Cripple Crow
Laura Veirs Year Of MeteorsJohn Lennon Imagine
Kaizers Orchestra MaestroDashboard Confessional MTV Unplugged

The Jungler
June 19th 2006

Mega short review, are you sure you didn't cut some off the top? Good job anyway, I might check out that Aqua song, as they are always fun.

[quote= Here We Go, quoted by Iai]'I don't do sex, but I do do second base'.[/quote] teehee.

Iai
June 19th 2006

This account is for short reviews.

Edit: And luckily, Girls Aloud are pretty much unknown in America last I heard. So a lot of people will just skip these reviews over.This Message Edited On 06.19.06

Iluvatar
June 19th 2006

I um, bought this because I fifugred the lyrical booklet pictures would be teh sexx...
It's a fun album, but I don't think it's one of the best of the 20th century. Especially since it came out in '04, and it wasn't even around in 20th century. Might want to fix that.

Iai

Best POP albums.

morrissey
June 21st 2006

I've never heard a song, and the only place I've heard of them is here on mx, from Iai. But I'm just the kind of person who would like this stuff. Should check out.

Adabelle
April 10th 2013

Hahahaha Hanson you're such a bro