Dead To Fall
The Phoenix Throne

by Tillius USER (3 Reviews)
June 18th, 2006 | 16 replies | 13,822 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Jonathan D. Hunt-Vocals
Logan Kelly-Guitar
Aaron Nelson-Guitar
Chad M. Fjerstad-Bass
Tim Java-Drums

Dead to Fall is one of the many bands to rise with Victory Records. They have two CDs, Everything I Touch Falls to Pieces and The Phoenix Throne. The Phoenix Throne is their most recent album, and incredible it is.

1. All My Heroes Have Failed Me

This song opens with a heavy yet clear distortion to it. Another guitar joins the music, along with a few screams from Jonathan, and then it picks up and immediately throws you into a heavy song. The lyrics are decent, but nothing great, an example being:

I've got the answer so save your ***ing explanation
This is the last time I'll suffer through your exploitation
Harvest truth and save it for your revelation
I've lost all t rust and I've finally had the realization

2. Womb Portals

This next song does not hold back, and kicks off heavy almost immediately after the first song ends. The guitar riffs are basic yet enjoyable, and the drums really add to the song. Once again, the lyrics are decent but nothing new or exciting, opening the song with:

Cold hands feed us death while war breeds in every breath
It seems like are ways are set
The sacrifices we endure, perfection we pursue
Darkness, nothing pouring through

The guitar seems to pick up towards the end of the song, and then we are thrown into song number three.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

This song opens up with a nice little drum beat and guitar riff, which contains a lot of bends and pinch harmonics. The drumming is very impressive in this song, and actually had about a ten second period in which the drums are all you hear. This song is about a fake society, with the opening lyrics being:

Oh, another face joins the crowd
It's time to impress; time to improve yourself

And then, later on in the song:

Moved onto the next catchy melody, moved onto the next trend
Here's your next catchy melody, so say what you will
Do what you feel you must
Your words just fuel my rage, and fill my heart with disgust

The music gets really heavy towards the end, then stops abruptly.

4. Servant of Sorrow

This song opens up with impressive and wicked sounding guitar riffs. Probably their best so far, and like usual, the drumming delivers. The lyrics seem to improve with this song, with examples such as:

Wandering the great depths
Searching the canyouns for truth
Discovering every darkness
Bringing its ugliness into new light

This is an overall great song, ending with a slow paced beat and throwing us into song 5.

5. Chum Fiesta

This song starts off extremely heavy, but the lyrics aren't too impressive here, opening up screaming:

Crashing flowing swirling
Right from the start
Gnashing ripping bleeding
Quickly tears my flesh apart

The ***ty lyrics are made up for with the drums and guitars to back it off, but this is probably their worse off of the album.

6.Guillotine Dream (Slow Drugs)

This song opens up with a slow, eerie sounding guitar riff, and then is joined by a heavier, solid guitar riff that leads into this song. It's pretty slow paced the entire time. The guitar riffs are great to listen to in this song, especially towards the end. The lyrics improve again, with:

One steop in front of the other, the clock wasting minutes away
Slowing counting the hour that determines my destiny

7. Doomed to Failure

This song starts off with another eerie riff, but it is much faster paced, and then the song picks up it's heaviness, and the great drum riffs come back. The lyrics are pretty good in this one, and they tell a story. A good example of the story in these lyrics would be:

"Now we will find out who truly holds the power"
"I'm waiting for you to relinquish your hold"
"There is no room for us, so you must be destroyed"
"Then I'm afraid this is unavoidable"

The song has a nice little solo in it, and it's probably another one of the better ones of the album.

8. Corpse Collector

Not much to say about this song. It's really just a filler, and there are no vocals in it. The guitars are pretty heavy, and it's enjoyable, but not much can really be said about it.

9. The Reptile Lord

This song puts us back with the vocals, and opens heavily with pretty basic riffs from both the guitars and drums. However, as the song progresses, so does the quality of the music. The lyrics are okay, but somewhat cheesy, an example being:

I am my own God, yet I've never felt this grace
My life won't be the same and I hope you never see this face
Your were right to go
Now the world finally knows
I am the Reptile Lord

10. Death & Rebirth

This is the last song on the album. It opens up in between heavy and slow, but then quickly picks up the pace with nice drum riffs and decent guitar riffs. The lyrics are pretty good in this one, with:

Counting past the final hour
In flame we've been reborn
A pure stronger power
A new oath we have sworn

In the middle of the song, there is a nice, clean piece played on the guitar, and then it erupts into an eerie, orchestrated sound, which in the end is really impressive. A great way to end the album.

Overall, this is a great album, and would recommend it to just about all fans of any type of metal.

Pros:
Impressive guitar and drum riffs
Decent lyrics
Jonathan has a brutal, great sounding scream

Cons:
It could've used a bit of clean singing
No bass can really be heard

encmetalhead
June 18th 2006

i'm starting to get into this bad and clean singing would ruin these songs

Drunken Viking
June 18th 2006

Good review. I have yet to hear these guys, but when I read a review of this is Guitar One it said that sometimes these guys were Death Metal and Hardcore. I guess they're just idiots.

Pete
June 18th 2006

Is anyone gonna correct him about "They have two CDs"? Because he left out "Villainy and Virtue", which is a pretty good album by them, and released in between this one and their debut.

Clayman555
June 18th 2006

Id say this is a step up from Villainy and Virtue...guitar works is better and everything is more technical. However i dont think i have made it through the entire albu, more than 4 times. The first 3 tracks are the best ones on the album. It gets a little repetative after that....

(>dragon~guitarist<)
June 19th 2006

They are ok, better than most metalcore and thats not saying much.

Confessed2005
June 19th 2006

I think they are pretty awesome. Guillotine Dream is amazing - I am seeing these guys when they support Darkest Hour next monday at Bournemouth Operahouse. I am expecting they will put on a good live performance.

Clayman555

They do....

joshki
July 20th 2006

good review..

i say they have matured alot in terms of being technical..

but what happen to the lyrics?

ChainsawMyLife
August 25th 2006

Hehe,

Is it just me or does this sound like Prometheus era Emperor inspired guitarwork mixed with better than average metalcore? Everytime I hear Servant of Sorrow I keep expecting there to be a harpsichord progression in the background. Its only a fleeting resemblance in certain songs though.

I liked Villainy a lot, but enjoy this a lot more. Definitely worth getting.

enjoilife
March 9th 2007

ya dude they have three cds not two
The Phoniex Throne
Villiany And Virtue
Everything I Touch Fall To Pieces

i am the robots
January 31st 2008

now his here is what i call good music

get drunk and play!

BELMoNT
May 9th 2008

All my heroes have failed me… and all your heroes will fail you

burnafterbreeding
February 25th 2010

Solid album. Very weird.

letmeholleratya
December 4th 2010

Heroes and Smoke and Mirrors are both badass songs.

This cd has a few cool tracks, but most of the songs are forgettable, unfortunately.

Spec
May 11th 2011

Terrible review sorry.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

Inveigh
May 18th 2013

there are about 5 really great songs on here, the rest is mediocre, like the rest of their catalog. this was easily the best thing they ever did.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend